What made you decide

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Veteran
on a homebirth?

I'm thinking about it but the cost in Calgary is insane. I had easy labours for both of my kids but with Emily I never met the doctor that delivered her until she was beyond the buying dinner phase and I just didn't like that.

Jennifer, Mommy to Bella (3.5) and Emily (1.5)</div>
Walking in the 2008 Weekend to End Breast Cancer, 60km July 25-July 27 in Calgary, AB
March 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM
4boys
I decided on a home birth because I really can't stand the hospital and all the "policies" they have. Sometimes it seemed to me with my other kids that you had to do things their way even if it was unnecessary or silly. That drives my DH crazy. So it was pretty easy to decide. And also I am convinced that I will be WAY more comfortable and relaxed at home; I am looking forward to not going anywhere and feeling cozy in my own house. So I hope it works out that way.
March 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Super Mommy
I wanted to be the one who decided what the first few hours of my newborn life was like. I know that I will prefer a private, relaxing atmosphere in which I am free to move, eat and rest as I need to togive birth. I am also not a fan of policy for policy's sake and I want a choice of which if any newborn procedures are performed right after birth.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

March 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh, there are soooo many reasons...primarily, I didn't want medical interventions during labor. Even if I stuck to my convictions to go natural in a hospital setting, I knew they would push the IV/hep lock, monitoring and want me on my back to deliver. *I* wanted to be able to move around freely, and I wanted a water birth - not available in our hospital. I also wanted a midwife, who would not be able to deliver in our hospital. I wanted peace and quiet and privacy - again, not available in a hospital. And I absolutely did not want ANYTHING - no screenings, no warming units, no icky eye goop, NOTHING - to come between me and my baby postpartum.

I could go on and on about it, but it was a pretty even mixture of logic and emotion that made the decision for me. Home birth was what seemed best for both me and my baby.
March 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM
shadowdweller's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
a million reasons, really, but for me the clincher was the higher infection rate in the hospital- 4 times higher- and my second kid being that statistic. she was in the nicu with a serious umbilical infection...given to her by my doctor. i swore i'd never go back unless either myself ormy baby was dying.
March 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well for me it was so many things.

1. Infection rates are much much higher in hospitals
2. Mortality/morbidity rates are higher in hospitals (even when you limit the statistics to only low risk women).
3. Interventions are much higher in the hospital even when you choose a natural birth, and they dont translate to better outcome rates.
4. Risk of cesarean increases - again, without translating into better outcomes for mother or baby.
5. Gentle birth. I wanted to give my baby a gentle labor, a gentle birth. Without commotion. Without chaos. Without worry. Safely. Gently. Its not possible in a hospital. It can be gentler than usual if everyone is on board but i can guarantee a gentle birth at home. Hands down. This was HUGE to me. Sure the other stuff was important too - but HOW my baby came into this world & how the first few hours of her life were played out - without being poked prodded whisked away and tossed all over the place (have you ever seen how they handle a baby in the hospital!?) were probably THE most important to me. I KNEW I could have a safe birth at home, but I knew home was the only place I could truly have a gentle birth

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why?

I wanted the peace and quiet of home
No risk of being bullied into unnecessary interventions which would put me and baby at MORE risk. (I escaped the interventions with my hospital births, but only because I resisted the bullying. The bullying was stressful enough, thanks.)
The option to water birth
Being in control of labour and birth, not having it controlled for me
Not having to be poked and prodded by strangers
Not having to deal with all the noise and chaos of the post partum wing at the hospital
Not having my precious sleep interrupted by nurses taking my stupid temperature
Privacy
Did I mention peace and quiet of home?
Being able to climb into my own bed afterwards with my DH, to get to know our new baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search