6th baby

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
craz453's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to craz453
My sister wants to have a baby shower for me, but this is my 6th baby, I would feel weird. However we really did not plan this one and are not entirely financially ready, so was thinking about having a gift card shower and also making note that gently used hand me downs are accepted and preferred....However I have 2 sils that live 6 hours away and in opposite directions and I think having it at Christmas (when everyone is actually home) would be too much and too close to the due date (Jan 3). Though I have never gone early. But I do not know if I really want a party, but we do have this really nice coffee shop in town and the manager I sort of know, she is always raving about me and my 5 kids when I see her, she also had 5 so it makes her emotional about when her kids were little. But anyway the coffee shop, I was thinking maybe if we do one we could just do a little get together at the shop?? I don't know for sure yet if anyone is coming home for Thanksgiving, I suppose I should find out, because that would be a good time to do it...So I need several opinions:1. timing,2. even having a shower, 3. gift card? and used items?, 4. place??

August 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM
anjelt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think thats a great idea, the gift card shower and if people want to give gently used items.

One thing that you could do if you were just gonna have a get together is get a small plant, and have everyone bring a pack of diapers or wipes and then have a door prize, You will always need diapers where other things like onesies, and clothes and the like might be cheaper fo ryou to buy now at garage sales. Where diapers are expensive!
September 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. timing
Awkward around the holidays, but no extra travel required.

2. even having a shower
Sorry, but Miss Manners would say this is bad etiquette, both a shower for a sixth child and family hosting it.

3. gift card? and used items?
Gift cards not so hot on the etiquette scales (it's up there with asking for cash only). Used items actually sounds fine.

4. place?
Just fine.

A little get together at the coffee shop as a "Celebration of Baby" party without the shower name and expectations would probably be more etiquette-ly correct.

*I read a lot of Miss Manners and Miss Manners forums.

September 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cheesecakex5's Avatar Veteran
I'm expecting #6 and my friends have always thrown showers for me but I never had any part in the planning and didn't ask for items. If people ask your sister what you need she could mention the cards etc. but its not appropriate to request things.

Brody Zane 3/11/09 Our miracle baby born with the cord around his neck and TWO knots in his cord!
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
congrats! I think showers are good for any baby #...first, second or...6th!
September 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jessica! I just recognized you from another board we used to be on together. Congrats on #6!! I remember when you had the twins. I can't believe they're 3 already.

Oh, and since the thread was about showers. I think it's only appropriate to have a shower, if it's a no gift shower (or the used gifts are a nice idea if you must have presents.) THis is only my opinion, but a party should be for the sake of celebration, not for collecting more stuff. And I have to agree about gift cards- I would feel very used if someone asked me specifically to bring gift cards.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A used gift shower is a great idea - I think you will find that people appreciate that (especially around the holidays) and will likely get you new gifts/gift cards regardless. If you ask for gift cards, it's a bit blunt.

November 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
You could always do a "meet the baby" party after the baby is born. The holidays will be behind you, and everyone wont feel so stretched to buy a gift, with all the xmas gifts being bought around that time.

Also, you can do a baby "sprinkle". Smaller version of a shower, you can even tell whoever is throwing it to just put that you need diapers or bibs, bottles or clothes. My aunt just did this for her 5th child (3rd shower) and although we were aggrivated she was having another shower, it doesnt seem to be as big( just closer family) so imo it was more tasteful.

If you need the bigger items, like a crib, swing, etc. i would suggest looking on Freecycle.org in your area. I have gotten a few of the things i didnt get at my shower on there which was totally helpful, and totally free. You can usually put posts out there asking for specific items and people email you if they have that item for you to pick up.

I dont think its bad etiquitte for a family member to throw you a shower, no matter what the etiquette books say. That is just silly. My mother and MIL through my baby shower and noone even thought twice about it. Actually every shower i have ever been to baby and wedding, has been thrown by that persons family member. So i just think that rule is silly and outdated.

I think asking for Gift cards only sounds kind of tacky, it kind of seems like you are telling them what they can bring, and people LOVE shopping for baby things, so you are more likely to get more from people if you dont limit them to what they can bring. kwim.

good luck with the baby and the shower!
January 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Butterfly2009's Avatar Super Mommy
personally I think every child should have their own little party. call it a 'shower' call it whatever you want.

if people think its tacky and dont want to come, you dont honestly want them there anyway. =)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search