Guests bring books?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My MIL told my husband that she got an invitation to a baby shower where they asked for a childrens book instead of a card. I think it's a neat idea to have people bring their favorite children's book for the baby, but I feel funny asking someone to do that in place of a card or something else. KWIM? How do y'all feel about this? Do you think it would be okay to tell people that the child's library is being built and if they would like to help to bring their favorite children's book? Does that even make sense?

BTW, I'm not throwing my own shower. I have a dear friend who is doing that and likes to hear my input, but she makes the final decisions. She had mentioned something like this a while ago, but we never talked about it really.

September 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
Do you think it would be okay to tell people that the child's library is being built and if they would like to help to bring their favorite children's book? Does that even make sense?[/b]
I think this is a more polite way than I've seen in the past (i.e., telling everyone to bring a book), and I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.

October 1st, 2008, 04:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My best friend did this and I thought it was an excellent idea. Everyone was very receptive to it and she got a lot of books. The only thing that I didn't like was that each guest signed the inside of the book to the babies name, and then when she had her next baby he didn't have any books of his own because she didn't get a second shower. I am not sure of a way around that one though.
October 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
anjelt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love this idea. What a great way to build your child's library. I am doing the same thing with diapers tho. Books are so expensive now. I also like the idea of the person bringing the book signing it but not to a specific baby. But at least if they sign it you can tell who it is from and all children can use them.
October 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
How could I word it? I don't want it to sound pushy or needy or anything.

October 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom2Nat&Ry
I think that sounds like a great idea.

What about saying something like:

We are wanting to start a book collection for the baby. If you would like to help, you can bring a copy of your favorite children's book to the shower.

I am not very good at wording, hope this helps somehow.

October 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks. That does help. I just feel really weird about people thinking I'm asking them for things if you know what I mean. Like I think they should have to bring a gift and that's not it at all, so I definitely don't want them thinking they HAVE to do this.

I decided to make the invitation two sided, so something like that would be okay to slip in with the registry cards right? There won't be a fold in the invite - but I"m thinking of just making a small piece of paper with where we are registered on it to add in there instead of several cards slipping out.

October 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
this site has a couple of poems that asks for books instead of cards... you can print them and include them in the invitation. Just scroll down to book theme poems http://www.perkydesigns.com/baby_shower_an...ents_saying.htm
October 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As nice as it is for Mommy getting the gifts, in etiquette, it's considered gift-grubby to ask for a gift (ie. off your registry and the whole point of a shower) AND a second specific gift (ie. books or diapers).

For those who don't want to break the bank building a library for your little one, other people sell children's books ALL THE TIME. And they'll practically GIVE them away to get rid of them. Garage sales, flea markets and Craigslist are the places to search and you can find them for as little as ten cents per book. You can't beat that price! My little boy probably has somewhere in the realm of fifty books and I'm sure I spent less than twenty dollars on all of them. Probably more like fifteen total.

October 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
anjelt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I thought it was being gift grubby i wouldn't bring the extra gift. All of my invites had: To enter a door prize drawing please bring a pack of diapers any size. They can do it if they want but it's not required!
October 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Technically, gifts are never required. But it is the point of a shower. We can all do things that don't follow etiquette rules and showers are especially tricky: not thrown for subsequent children after the first, not to be thrown by a family member, no registry information on the invites, registries are guides and not shopping lists, etc. It isn't the law - just manners guidelines. Obviously, anyone who finds something about someone's particular shower can always decline to attend or decline to participate in certain aspects. No big deal.

I just hang out on a manners forum and pass on the knowledge where needed...

October 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
MamaBx3
I think it's a great idea, And I really like the way Ashley worded it.
October 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
Quote:
My best friend did this and I thought it was an excellent idea. Everyone was very receptive to it and she got a lot of books. The only thing that I didn't like was that each guest signed the inside of the book to the babies name, and then when she had her next baby he didn't have any books of his own because she didn't get a second shower. I am not sure of a way around that one though.[/b]

Along with a note about building the library for baby...add a lable for the book and the guest to sign. You'd need to add to NOT put the lable in the book in case of duplicate copies, etc.

I'm doing this for my cousin's shower...who'd better not be snooping around here!

October 9th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi!! Just popping in! This was done for my shower and I really thought it was a great idea! My daughter has a great start to her "library" and the books are all special because they came from someone special KWIM? People don't have to do it. I think ours was worded something to the effect of..."if you would like to add to Karilyn's library please bring your favorite childrens book. (Not that exactly but something to that effect) That way they didn't feel obligated or anything. I will tell you I love this idea because books are and should be so precious to children and in the hustle and bustle now a days sometimes they can be forgotten or not be an important piece to every day, I just kinda think this helps bring that all back in a way. We did put stickers in every book with the name of who they came from so we would always remember. Just my 2 cents, I love the idea!
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Newbies
I think the idea is a great way to build out the child's library. And with how important reading to your baby is that sounds great.

What do you think about these birth announcements?
November 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
jacob'smom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to jacob'smom Send a message via Yahoo to jacob'smom
also if you goole baby shower book poems, they will pop up some really great waysto "ask" for books instead of cards. i wish i would've known about this for my shower...

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left">
</MARQUEE>
November 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Veteran
I think it's a great idea! I'd much rather spend the money purchasing a book that can be used over and over than a card that will probably get tossed in the trash. The last card I picked up at Target was over $5.
November 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
We did this for my shower, and everyone LOVED it. I got so many compliments on it, and so many books!
We included a little card with a poem on it with the invitation.

this is what it said:

Although cards are nice,
they are read once or twice
a book is a treasure forever and ever
so instead of a card to be put aside
give the baby a book with your name inside
it need not cost more than a card
just pick your favorite
it shouldnt be hard!

My mom through the shower for me, and at first didnt like the book idea, but once we did the poem and it said the book didnt have to be expensive( only the cost of a card) she was sold ont he idea!

Mackenzie has about 30 books from her shower, some have her name in it, others only have who it was from. It doesnt bother me that the books were signed to her, i will still use them for all our children to come. It was really nice to get this, becuase its true, although i have lots of cards, its nice to have that jump start for her!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search