what do you do?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Peytonsmomma
If you and your family aren't that close, who plans your baby shower? Do you do it?
February 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not if you care about proper etiquette, you don't. Throwing one's own shower is the height of rudeness according to Miss Manners. Technically, so are having family members throw one for you (in essence, it's your family asking others to give you gifts), having a shower for a second or subsequent baby (the baby shower is a one-time deal to welcome a woman into motherhood, not a celebration of the baby), and asking for extra gifts (ie. diaper raffles, bring a book in place of a card, etc.). A shower is supposed to be held by a friend, with the mother-to-be supplying the guest list and being only the guest-of-honor herself. Miss Manners does frown on registries, but in today's world, this etiquette standard has been mostly suspended due to the prevalence of people who do use registries and it's split about fifty/ fifty for people who prefer to shop off a registry versus those who don't.

If you don't have anyone willing and wanting to throw you a shower, I wouldn't have one. I would feel it very rude to receive an invitation to a shower hosted by the person asking for gifts and would not attend. It's just gift-grubby and impolite.

February 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
You should have a friend throw it. It's bad manners to throw it for yourself, it seems greedy. I think it's alright for a sister to throw it, but also bad manners for the mother of the mommy-to-be to throw it.

February 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
anjelt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I threw and planned all three of my showers, My mom was the host for her side, my sister in law was the host for my dad's side, and My friend was the host for my friend shower. GASP I had three showers. and even a bigger GASP I paid for planned and threw all three of them!! Its the year 2009, if they don't like it they won't come!!
February 9th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Peytonsmomma
thank you anjel

i'm not into miss manners or who cares if it's rude

i'm not sure how that would be greedy if your family isn't close and your closest friend lives over 3000 miles away....????

I think i will go ahead and throw it, or who knows maybe my sister will come around
February 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Good for you, I don't like Miss Manners either!!! Like I said its the year 2009!! No one does anything traditionally anymore. Have fun don't forget to post pictures!
February 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Peytonsmomma
thank you anjel and eshum!

actually it worked out, the girls in my office are going to throw one for me
February 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Good, please post pics!!!
February 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
I threw and planned all three of my showers, My mom was the host for her side, my sister in law was the host for my dad's side, and My friend was the host for my friend shower. GASP I had three showers. and even a bigger GASP I paid for planned and threw all three of them!! Its the year 2009, if they don't like it they won't come!![/b]
I totally agree! Having babies is expensive and as a first time mom myself.. it would've been VERY hard for us to have bought every single thing our son has by ourselves. My main shower was HUGE. Over 100 invites were sent out and over 50 people attended. I had 10 ladies HOST my shower and each of them asked to do it. I was lucky.. but had I not been, I'm sure my mom would've done it. I don't expect people to necessarily bring a gift to my shower if they are unable to do so. I want people there to spend time with me, to show off my buddah belly & to celebrate my son's upcoming birth. Of course, everyone did bring a gift - which is SOOO very helpful. But I didn't have 'expectations' about anything. Miss manners is STUPID. It's 2009 not 1932.

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

March 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Regular
I had a shower for my first baby that was planned and I'm sorry but I HATED IT! Call me rude and ungrateful but it was planned 3 days after I gave birth, I was tired and sore and didn't feel like having a party at that time. I'm for showers but do it before baby comes or after and I think that the new mom should have a say for a date if it is within the first month. JMO

For DS, I threw a "meet the baby" party...didn't expect gifts but people still brought stuff. We supplied everything else, it was on our timing and everyone was super excited...that one went much better. Again JMO
March 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
One of my friends through mine...When family wouldn't.. Thats nice of your coworkers...my friend that did my baby shower also worked with me...

April 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
SaraBaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SaraBaby Send a message via MSN to SaraBaby Send a message via Yahoo to SaraBaby
LURKING=)

I don't follow miss manners' rules either. I wrote out my own guest list, wrote out all my invitations myself, but mailed them in my moms name. My mom and sister are throwing it, I just stayed on top of the planning. My sister has 3 kids of her own, and has my nephew, works and goes to school 2 nights a week, she has a lot on her plate. And my mom works full time, and has plenty to do with helping her two kids who aren't doing so well. So therefor, I did most of my own shower planning.
I even put my registry number in the invite. My sister said to go ahead and do it, and she's miss prim and proper, so if she said yes, then thats a go ahead!

April 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
monilove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All I want to know is who is MISS MANNERS???

If the purpose for the shower is to bless the unborn baby, why is the emphasis on who is throwing the shower versus the purpose of the shower?
April 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Miss Manners is a columnist who writes on the rights and wrong way to do stuff. She is in papers!!
April 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Interesting....never heard of her. I still say the emphasis should be on the blessings to the baby / parents and not the right and wrong of who is throwing the shower.

Because each of us are uniquely different in the way we live our lives, the same rules can not apply across the board. I say to whomever is thinking about throwing their own shower, go for it.
April 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
DP

Last edited by monilove; April 10th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
April 13th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjelt View Post
Good for you, I don't like Miss Manners either!!! Like I said its the year 2009!! No one does anything traditionally anymore. Have fun don't forget to post pictures!
Right!!! Im throwing my own, I mean its in conjunction with my Mother In Law (after the fact), But I picked the date, color theme, food, etc. I don't have many friends/close family and if I waited for someone to ever throw me a party, Id never have one, LOL

I have people who will be helping with food etc. I am NOT worried about weather its rude or bad manners, LMAO ... how is it rude, when its for me and my family, LOL

Especially after my Maid of Honor never threw me a bridal shower, I refused to wait for anyone to do anything for me again, LOL

Last edited by ArMiBen; April 13th, 2009 at 06:55 AM.
April 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
soaplady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to soaplady
I guess I am on the opposite end! I do follow ettiquete, and would never throw it myself.That's just me, though. A shower is where a friend (or more) showers you with gifts. It really shouldn't be thrown by yourself or your side of the family. Every baby needs to be celebrated, though, so if no one offers, I think it changes the situation enough to do differently. Every baby is special and needs to be welcomed!!

But that said, I think it also depends on your traditions and values witin your social group. If your fam and friends don't care, then go ahead. Generally, society runs along the rules of it's peers, so if you and your loved ones are beer and hot dog lovers, there is no need to have wine and cheese...you know? lol! and vice versa. Dh and I are both from social backgrounds, and when doing things with family and family friends we usually have to follow suit. But at our home with our close friends, it's football, beer and chips.

My all natural soap and bath products store on Etsy:
http://www.bubblyseahorsesoap.etsy.com

Soaps, Scrubs, lip balms, and more! Find Bubbly Seahorse on FB, too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search