Theme??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are baby showers supposed to have themes??

Here's my situation... With DD I didn't have a shower (hubby was deploying, had few friends in the area, and moving shortly after baby's birth). Now I'm pg with #2, as are 3 other women in my playgroup. Someone mentioned having a group shower and I volunteered to host (I know there are etiquitte rules about hosting your own shower, but most of the "host moms" (the ones that have kids over for playdates) are the ones that are pg.

So anyways, I had no idea it was supposed to have a theme... I mean I've never been to a baby shower and didn't have one for Carrie. That puts me behind on the planning thing. Since there are 4 of us (maybe more by the time we throw it) I don't know what themes exist that are more of less gender neutral.

Am I missing anything?

Invitations
Games
**theme**
food
presents (would it be tacky to include where we're all registered?)

I'm making diaper cakes for everyone, but one of the mamas CD's what could I use as an alternative (that wouldn't be too expensive)?

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
August 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby shower is on Saturday and one the host kept asking me what I wanted as a "theme". I had no idea what she was talking about.... and finally the other host said "her theme is going to be pink b/c its a girl" - nothing more needed. And that was fine with me.

Sometimes, you can get packages for showers (at Party City or a website) and they will have pacifers or baby shoes or baby footprints and everything will match - invites, decorations, plates, etc. Perhaps thats what people are referring to when they say theme? I'm really not sure either.

Also - every baby shower invite I've seen recently tells where the "mom" is registered. So I don't think its tacky.

At some baby showers, they give out favors - but don't think its necessary.

Add decorations to the list - streamers, flowers, balloons, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to HeatherW for the great siggy!
September 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
When you're planning any type of party, it makes it a little easier if you do have a theme to the party. As you look at the hundreds of decoration, tableware, invitation, and favor options, if you have a theme, it greatly narrows down your choices.

A theme can be as simple as colors - probably green and yellow for a gender neutral shower.

A theme could be - Time of Day shower - where in the invitation you assign some guests to Feeding Time, others to Bedtime, others to Bath Time, and others to Play Time. Then, the guests in each category would bring baby items only related to their assigned category. So, for example, guests in the Bath Time would bring wash clothes, tub toys, baby robe.

Another theme could be - Around the World shower - (this is nice for a mom who likes to travel alot or is into different cultures) - in your invitations you assign guests to different countries (and probably give them some ideas. So, for example, guests assigned to France might try to find baby items with the Eiffel Tower on it. Guests assigned to Mexico would try to find onesies in bright solid colors. You could also look up traditional baby gifts for that country and put it on the invitation. Then, the shower would have different travelling-the-world decor and related games.

Other simple themes are to pick anything that already comes on tableware:
My first shower was Mod Mom. All the balloons were in pink, green, and purple to match the tableware. The game prizes and party favors were also in the three colors.

The Meet n' Greet (homecoming "shower") for my 2nd baby was in King of the Jungle.

Winnie the Pooh is popular for gender neutral showers.

This Sweet Pea set is a good theme for gender neutral showers.

Yeah, I would also add party favors and decorations to your list.

I don't know of any alternatives for the diaper cake. Could you make one out of baby washclothes?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search