Some registry advice needed please!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
So, I found out that I’m pregnant. Besides the whole emotional rush, I’ve got a lot of plans to make and questions to ask. Thus, I’m joining forums for some experienced mom help!

I have a long list, but question of the day: a friend asked me where I’m going to register for my baby shower…umm???? Where was the best place you registered? Why was it great? Why would you return? Benefits of online vs store? Of speciality stores vs general? All the details and tips you can give please? Thank you!!!!
August 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Claysgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I registered at Babies R Us. I chose Babies R Us because I won't register at Target due to their crappy return policy, and Walmart has a great selection online, but I wanted to see the stuff I'm registering for in person, so for me that left BRU.
They had everything I needed at BRU, and you can manage your registry online, and make changes/additions online as well which I liked. Out of state family could send gift cards or call my local store to order, and they wouldn't pay shipping as it was sent to my store and my Mom picked it up and wrapped it for them.
August 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I registered at Target and BRU.

And, I agree with Katie. Target has a horrible, horrible return policy. After my 1st baby shower, I went back to Target and cancelled my registry there. Why? At my 1st shower, there were people that went and bought some things on my registry and a thing or two that was not on my registry. One was a small toy that made noises but was not working -- I just wanted to exchange it for the same thing, but one that worked. I got an outfit that I knew was going to be too small for my baby when she would be wearing it for that season. So, I wanted to exchange it for the same thing in a different size. And, there was a onesie where the seam was already coming out - so I just wanted to exchange it for another.

Since I was not given a gift receipt for the above three items, I was told I could pick only two items to exchange and they would "count towards your 2 items with no receipts for the entire year". And Target only allows for you to return/exchange 2 items without receipts for every 12 month period. So, even though two of the products had a manufacterer problem, they would count towards my 2 returns for the year. AND if I got anything else for the baby that year and did not get a gift receipt for it, I could not return or exchange it even if there was a manufacterer problem with it.

When I told them that was a horrible exchange policy, especially for a mommy-to-be who has a registry that is bringing in 30+ customers into the store (and you know that at least half of those guests probably bought other stuff at Target that they may have bought somewhere else, but as they were already in the store to buy me gifts they purchased their other items there as well). They said it was the responsibility of my guests to attach a gift receipt. Well, uh, that's not MY fault I didn't get a gift receipt and by that point there was nothing I could do about it.

So, I cancelled my registry. I don't want guests at my baby shower to be paying hundreds of dollars at a store that is not going to let me exchange defective merchandise. (And, the stuff was obviously theirs as it is their store brand.)

I like BRU because they have a ton of selection at reasonable prices.

I prefer a store versus an online-only store because I do not like my guests to have to pay shipping/handling. They're taking their time and money to give me a wonderful gift and I don't like them having to pay - sometimes up to an extra 20% - just for s/h.
August 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Christine_D's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We registered at Babies R Us and Target. My first shower is Saturday - so I'm interested to see how the Target return policy works - hopefully everyone provides gift receipts!!! I would think that the fact its showed as "fulfilled" on your registry is receipt enough (ie: they bought at Target) but I guess not.

BRU was AWESOME - they have tons of people there will to give advice, they provide a booklet that guides you through the process with a checklist and each of the major sections of the store are color coded.

Definately block off 2-3 hours though - it took a lot longer than I originally thought it would b/c there are a lot of decisions to make. It's super easy to revise/update your registry online.

I would definitely recommend going in person to wherever you register - b/c a lot of time, items are only available online and not in the store - so its harder for people to purchase gifts for you if not online.

Have fun!
September 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
andrews_sweetie's Avatar Mom to Aiden
I have registered at Babies R Us, Wal-Mart, & JC Pennys.
October 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Veteran
I registered at Babies R us and Target also. After spending at least an hour at Target they lost my complete registry. I have also heard of people getting duplicates because Target messed up their registry and their return policy stinks. So I dropped Target and just went with BRU. They are so professional there, I had a much better experience plus I do love how I can update everything online. I was afraid to go there thinking it would be too expensive but I've found the prices to be the same as Target. Maybe it was just the items I chose but I'm extremely happy with BRU!

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...#ixzz0TFyaeTLh (Some registry advice needed please!)

March 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Are you still with us hun? I bet you have had that baby by now or are getting really close!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I registered at walmart, amazon, and babies r us.

I also registered at target, but after reading up on what everyone said about it, I think I'll delete that registry.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
May 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to rlmccrady
I am registering at Walmart because either way, it has a nice selection online and everyone or most states/towns have a Walmart. I am not a fan of Target because of how expensive it is. With my first pregnancy, I was registered at Babies R Us.

Amazon sounds like a great idea, I didn't think of that, so whoever mentioned that, that's a nice suggestion! My husband is a fan of Amazon!

I am still stuck with this registry thing because once again, this is my second pregnancy but things have came a long way since my daughter was born, so it's like all new to me.. Makes me feel silly!
June 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM
We regostered at babies r us and target!
November 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Scarlett's Mommy
I registered at Target and Babies R Us. I liked both but both had their pros and cons...

Target
Pros:
  • Easy to update online
  • Registry updated immediately when people bought things from it.
  • Selection of baby stuff tended to be cheaper than other places.
Cons:
  • Limited selection of certain baby items.
  • Major issue I had was I had four friends buy me a $65 bouncy seat and gave me no gift receipt. Three of the seats came from Target, I called them and they would only let me return ONE seat because they have $70 cap on returns without receipt even if you have a registry.

Babies R Us
Pros:
  • Huge selection of baby items.
  • Most items are in stock online and in the store.
  • Associates are knowledgeable and eager to help you find things.
[*]They let you return anything, even without a receipt, as long as it is on your registry.
Cons:[list][*]Registry is slow to update when people buy things in store.[*]Prices are little higher than places like Target.

Scarlett Isabella will be here January 21, 2012! =)
February 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Dee
I know this thread is old, but still quite helpful. I was leaning toward Target as an alternative to BRU, but that doesn't sound like a great idea because you never know if you'll have to return or exchange something.

Has anybody used an online registry that lets you pull from different sites (e.g., etsy sellers, cloth diapering sites, etc.)?
June 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the information.
July 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Hi

I've registered at Babies R Us as well... mainly because I wanted to see the stuff I'm registering for in person. I liked their choice of selection Lots of variety. When I was actually looking for baby shower registries I've stumble upon a college savings registry. I've checked the website out and opened an account right away. I will be using GradSave which makes it easier for my parents and friends to give directly to my child's college tuition. They charge no fees! I'm always thinking of my child's future and I think this is a great way to start. I can't wait for people to use Baby R US and GradSave!! Excited for my baby shower!!!

Tags
baby registry , baby shower , first-time parent , pregnant

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search