3rd baby but never had a shower....okay to have one now?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids are 8 and 7. With our first we were living out of state and knew no one and I never had a shower. With our second baby, a shower was being planned for me and I ended up having major complications and hospitalized besrest and the shower never happend.

I haven't had a baby in seven years and while I still have plenty of "kid clothes' I have nothing baby left nor any of the gear....what do you think of someone having a shower for a 3rd baby?
April 16th, 2010, 10:06 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
Traditionally, you're only supposed to have a baby shower for your first baby. However, things have so changed nowadays. It is perfectly acceptable to have another baby shower if your coming baby is a different gender, if there is a big gap between this baby and your youngest child (like in your case), or if you have previous babies from another partner but this is your partner's first baby and his family want to throw you a shower.

Honestly, it will really depend on where you're from (the Midwest and South are more traditional whereas the East and West coasts are more "modern" with customs such as these). It also depends on your culture and family. Many cultures and families believe that every baby is a blessing and should be equally celebrated.

If you're worried you might offend some of your family and friends (and many of them would then not show up) by having a shower for #3, you could always have a "Meet n' Greet"/Homecoming-Celebration party. It's like a baby shower that you have after the baby is born, so everyone can meet him/her and they also drop off a gift. What's nice about them is you don't have to have all those games, door prizes, favors, and the like. It's more casual with some finger food, cake, and gifts.
May 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Go for it.

I'm having one for this baby. We have no baby stuff (not that that's the point of a shower for us) it's been 8 years since I've had a baby.

February 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Happy Mommy
I don't really know why or how there was a rule of only one shower, it's for BABY!! and EVERY baby should be celebrated.
that said, this is #3 for me, and I'm having a shower, and a meet the baby party after.
April 8th, 2011, 06:52 AM
i think this is totally fine ESPECIALLY since you didnt have one for your first 2 children. I think it is wrong to have showers for multiple kids. People will most likely get you gifts anyway, its just overboard when people have numerous showers/sprinkles..
April 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I don't think there's a right or wrong on the number of showers or parties you can have, but that's just me. If your family does a party for every child, then it's what works for you and your family. Some families don't, and that's ok too. Some families will do a shower for an additional child if it's been a long time since their last child. It all depends on your family and what you want to do and are comfortable with. If other people don't like it, they don't have to go.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think its great to have one now! Go for it!
September 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Regular
It's great idea. Go for it. Your children will feel great and there will be some memories for them. Always do small parties in your house with your close ones or with your family members once a week. It helps you to feel energetic and you will have some precious memories with your family members.
September 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Veteran
Absolutely o.k. to have one for baby #3, especially since there is a big gap in age, and because you don't have any gear. Go for it, and enjoy it! Best wishes!

Web Designer at Studio239Design.com, and Creator of SWFLbaby.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search