? about a baby shower for baby #2

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My friend is having her 2nd child and is due in August. Her first child is only 18mths and is a boy, this baby is a girl. Originally there was not a baby shower planned for the second child since they were so close together. About a month ago my friends husband decides that the relationship isnt working...my friend finds out he has been cheating on her..and he moves out of hte house.
So I decide that since he is a deadbeat and got fired from his job and isnt helping her out that I would throw her a shower. I just wanted it to be something small not to fancy to help cheer her up and get her some stuff she might need...just diapers, wipes, onsies for the new baby nothing to big or exspensive.
My friends first shower went allll out...it took them 2 hours to set it up. I think my friend is expecting the same thing for this one....BUT she doesnt sound even slightly interested in the shower.
I wasnt planning on doing games or anything like that, but should I? Her last shower they played about 4 games and passed around a book to write comments down about raising children. I was thinking more along the lines of some conversation, eating some cake and her opening presents and calling it good.
Is it alright to have a toned down, somewhat casual baby shower for the second child or should I go all out like they did for the first??
Thanks!!

June 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Hon!! I don't think you should feel that you have to go allout like the first one!!! I think it is very nice of you to even be throwing a shower. Where were you planning on having it? How about doing like some finger foods and some different dips and veggies and like a cheese and pepperoni platter? Then you could have a cake and that should be plenty for people to munch on! How many people were you having?
June 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
All together there will be about 20 ppl max showing up. Finger foods are a good idea! Im just nervous that she is going to be expecting more than what I provide. I even bought one of those diaper cakes as a centerpeice/present those things are not cheap!

June 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a really nice thing you are doing for her and I'm sure she will greatly appreciate everything, it just sounds like she's not in the best place right now.
You could maybe have a couple games like offering girls names suggestions, or passing around a book again for people to write in, but maybe this time instead of parenting advice they could write down some words of encouragement to mom and a welcome message for the new baby? Some special attention for the big brother might be nice too.

Good luck!!

June 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
^ I totally agree. I think it's super sweet you're doing this. I think the mom is just having so much going on right now, that maybe she cant show her excitement the way she normally would. Finger foods, some cake, and presents sounds good to me. If you want to do a game type thing, you could even take guesses as to the due date and statistics of the second baby. You could let people make their guesses and then keep them all in a place where she could look through them see who gets the closest later on. I think a low key shower is the perfect thing to do for a second baby. And honestly, with all she's going through right now, she might like that a lot better than something big like she had the first time. I know I would. Good luck!

June 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Guessing the due date is a good idea. She has had her EDD changed 3x's all the way from July 26 to Aug 30th which is where its at now. So im thinking her EDD is a crap shoot at best lol. Thanks for the idea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search