Differences between baby showers...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM
MegC's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MegC
Ok, different areas of the country have different traditions and ways of doing things. I have become especially more cognizant of this as my husband is from the mid-West and every time I attend a major family function (ie. wedding, baby shower, wedding shower, etc.) with him and his family, I feel very out of place and weird because there are usually some very interesting differences between their parties and what I'm used to.

So, I thought it might be interesting if we kind of explained the somewhat "traditional" parts of baby showers that you have experienced in your region of the country (realizing, of course, that experiences even within the same region can differ).

For example, I am from east Tennessee (which technically places me in the upper south region). Every shower I have ever attended here in Tennessee has been held at someone's house (either the hostess's house or the mother's house or something like that). I do know that usually company showers are held at work (obviously). I have never received a hostess gift at a shower, though we do have games and the winners of the games do get small prizes. Usually food is kind of buffet style and can be as fancy or as plain as you want. Children are not typically invited (at least, not in my circle) as it is seen as ill-bred.

So, I guess that what you could expect out of a typical baby shower here in East TN.

What's it like where you live?

</div>
July 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
LuvCaleb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvCaleb
Im in OK and this is what we did at my shower

* i didnt get a hostess gift (it was my mom and aunt)
*there were a few children there but they were older-i didnt mind one bit
*We had mine at the restaurant i used to work at because i knew i could get it free, we served cake and had fruit trays, and a few ordered some things from the menu
*we did play games but i dont like the idea of them winning and having to give me a gift so the prizes went to whomever won the game
August 22nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I too am in east tn and those rules hold true for me and my circle cept for the kids part. kids were at my baby shower and it was just fine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
September 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm from NY state.

Here showers are generally a surprise to the guest of honor. It's usually at someone's home. Generally there are at least a few kids there, especially if it's a large family. The food is served buffet style. It's not unusual for family members to host showers. And since you don't know you're headed to your own shower, you don't bring a hostess gift with you.
September 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MoDeL_MoMMi_07 Send a message via MSN to MoDeL_MoMMi_07 Send a message via Yahoo to MoDeL_MoMMi_07
I live in NJ... and have been to many different showers. Held in many different places...

-a few in ppl's homes... they were both buffet style, grab what u want sort of thing, one was in the summer the grill was going. They had all types of foods.

-in a restaurant in PA... it was a surprise to my friend. We all ordered from a pre-selected menu. Played games and had a good time.

-at Red Lobster... pre-selected menu,... I left early tho, had to go to work!!

-at a comedy club... my cousin rented the club for hers, it was no surprise to her. Buffet style. We played games and she had a dj there

-at a funeral home... it's owned by my friends family, so that's where she had it. No surprise to her. Buffet style, plenty of games

-My first shower was at my home, i helped plan it... we had a lot of food off the grill and cooked, big buffet style. Food for days. We played a ton of games, kids were there and it was no problem at all b/c every1 I kno has a child or two.

_my shower in November will be at a hall... And I am part of the planning for this one also b/c I don't like surprise party's...

as a matter of fact, there were men and kids at ALL the baby showers I have been too. great times!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wfbJWo7/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search