Gift opening in front of people...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Shower Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all - I'm not too fond of opening gifts in front of tons of people. My mom and I were thinking today of different options or types of showers to make this better! Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!!
March 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never been to a babyshower where gifts were not opened. I really don't have any advice. The only time I've been to an "event" where gifts aren't opened infront of the guests is at a wedding. I couldn't imagine going to a babyshower and not having the expecting-mommy open presents. Are you not wanting to open the gifts infront of people because you're afraid there will be something you don't like? Just trying to get a better sense of why you don't want to open gifts infront of people.
March 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Kimber77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kimber77
I would def open the gifts at the shower. I would think it tacky to not. The only other option I can think of would be to have the person that brought the gift open it for you but your still going to be in the spotlight. I'm not to fond of it either but decided that i'll just have to suck it up and do it.

Big brother Gage welcomes Karli Elizabeth 7 lbs 14 oz 20 inches on 8/1/11

March 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
laur2laur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that gifts will have to be opened at the shower. Just wanted some ideas on how to take the spotlight off me... like playing gift bingo. But something that maybe hasn't been done so much. That game has been done at pretty much every shower that I've been to.
March 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^^ That's a good idea! Open a gift and pass it around the room. Once the gift leaves your hand, start opening another one. Soon all the guests will be checking out the gifts being passed around the room and not focusing all their attention on you!!!

March 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a good idea! I don't think there's much way to get the spotlight off you though, everyone wants to see your reaction to the gift they brought.
March 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Chelsea08's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to Chelsea08
That is a good idea, I'm a little freaked about opening mine in front of everyone too.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/savings/wNRbPqz/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Great idea!
April 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Veteran
Oh, my! If I was invited to a shower and the honoree DIDN'T open her gifts I would be SO put off! That is the whole idea of a shower in the first place!

I understand not wanting to be put in the "spotlight", (I for one hate it when people tell me to read the card out loud) so the suggestion of passing around the gifts is a good one. Besides, everyone really gets to see what you got.
May 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Let the people eat while you are doing your gifts that way they are more worried about there food then you and there just waiting to see there gift and get back to chowing! also I handed out blank envelopes and had everyone write there addresses on them while i was opening gifts that way i didnt have to do it for thank you cards and it gave them something else to do!!

Ps im new here and congrats on your shower. in joy it youll give up your spot light soon enough!

Cassandra

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search