New here

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all I've been told as of last Friday that most likely each of my children have asthma. DS was given an inhaler of albuterol last year but was never given the official dx. DD was given one this year but I've requested hers be changed to the 2mg tablet instead due to insurance issues. Neither of my children have been given an official diagnosis of asthma as of yet. This is all just a wait and see if the inhaler provides relief situation. I'm not completely comfy with doing this but I would also love for each of them to have some relief from their horrible coughs. No, there is no other illness or sickness going on with either or them. Does anyone have any advice on ways I can help them? Their coughing fits last awhile in both the morning and evening and I cannot have a humidifier or ventilator put into their room. Thanks for any advice.

December 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Hi and welcome My DD also has asthma (among several other health issues.) She will be 6 in 2 months and was officially diagnosed at 23 months old. I was told for the first time that they thought she had it when she was just 11 weeks old. She is a former 33 week preemie. She now takes Singulair, Ventolin, Prevacid (she aspirates) and FloVent, daily for her asthma and when that isnt enough she takes Prednisone. She is also a pro at using her peak flow meter and pulse oximeter. All in the day of an asthmatic lol!!

As far as what you can do to help them... if they truly do have asthma, its all about prevention. The first step is identifying their triggers. For my DD it is mostly viral and exercise, and her being immune compromised makes it that much harder to protect her lungs from viruses and bacteria. Many asthmatics are triggered by allergies. Next, you need a good prevention plan. This is something you have to discuss with a pulmonoligist. Depending on the severity of your childs asthma, they will come up with a prevention plan that suits them and let you know when its time to go to the ER. They will let you know if you need additional equipment (such as a peak flow meter or pulse oximeter) and be sure you know how to use them.

I dont know for sure if all asthmatics are required to see a pulmonologist or not. I think that some just deal with their family doctor, again I guess it depends on the severity of the asthma. Our pulmonologist is great and gave us a very detailed asthma plan which never leaves us guessing.

Anyway, I hope this helps at least a little. A cough doesnt always mean asthma though, a cough from a cold can linger for up to 10 weeks. Hopefully that is all it is! Let us know how they respond

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy

Last edited by BusyMom4; December 22nd, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
December 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you. Oh I know that a cough doesn't mean asthma. I never even considered that a possibility until their pediatrician said she thinks it's asthma. I'm not so sure as while the albuterol seems to help it never alleviates their coughs entirely and I believe it may be something a tad more serious, though not life-threatening or diminishing.

December 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Welcome to the board.
My DS simply had bronchitis for years. At the age of three they found his asthma because for once he was at the dr for a well check and not sick. Jeremy seems to be triggered by colds. So at the first sign of a cold we start nebulizer treatments and inhalers. We also take one a day singulair. Last year was the first year in 3 years we didn't have bronchitis. It was so great . Every child is different and their triggers are different. I agree with Busymom. A plan and prevention are the most helpful thing. Let us know how things go. For some kids winter is the worst because of cold and flu season. Others have a hard time with summer due to allergies.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

December 22nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrrjgandmx View Post
Thank you. Oh I know that a cough doesn't mean asthma. I never even considered that a possibility until their pediatrician said she thinks it's asthma. I'm not so sure as while the albuterol seems to help it never alleviates their coughs entirely and I believe it may be something a tad more serious, though not life-threatening or diminishing.
How many puffs of the inhaler are you using?

Asthma can be VERY serious, in my DDs case it can be both life threatening and diminishing. Due to her lung function a respiratory infection could cost her her life. Some kids with asthma simply need a rescue inhaler a few times a year and no other special treatment. The severity varies greatly from child to child.

Dont give up on the treatment yet, you could just need a few adjustments before you find what works best.

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search