Peak Flow Meters

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Anyone here use one or have much experience with one? How about SpO2 meters? Anyone use one of those regularly?

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We haven't had to use one, sorry. Are you having to use it at home?

Using a Peak Flow Meter to Manage Asthma

I did find this online that talks about them. I am not sure what kind of information you are looking for.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

January 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Yes, we use one daily along with a SpO2 meter. Just wondering what kind of others get as far as varying readings.

January 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Oh sorry I can't help with that. Hopefully some of the other ladies can pop in and help out.

January 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We don't use one at home but every time we go in for Danny his O2 sats range from 95-100 on a regular day so I am assuming that as long as she is within her acceptable range than that is normal. With the peak flow meter I am assuming the same. Has her Dr given her guidelines such as if her reading is within these limits continue with her normal routine but if it gets outside of that range to do x, y, and z? Our doctor used to do that with his wheezing. If he lasted 3 hours between xopenex treatments and could function than continue current treatment but if the xopenex every three hours wasn't holding him than we needed to call for prednisone. That happened 4 times in 2 months and we changed meds to advair...he has only had to use the xopenex 4 times in the last month and those were all after playing in the snow.

I hope that helped a little...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Yep. Her personal best is 150, although she has only got that a few times, but I think that is normal with asthmatics. Between 75 and 120 is yellow zone and when we bump up prevention treatment, and below 75 is red zone and when we have to head to the ER. We have a detailed asthma action plan. Her SpO2s are normally between 93-95 but readings in the 80s are not uncommon, but so far they have always come back to the 90s with a rescue treatment. Her peak flows seem to vary greatly some days and I was just wondering if anyone else gets such varying readings too. She has only been using a peak flow meter reliably for around 10 months now so I havent mastered it yet LOL!

January 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That is the one where you take a really deep breath and then blow as hard as you can right? If that is a peak flow meter than I think the readings could be affected by anything. If she has been more active it will likely be lower, if she has been coughing that day it will be lower, etc. If you are worried about the variation she gets you coud always call her doctor right?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Yeah thats the one. Im not worried, I am just curious. We are monitoring it every day, at the same time (morning) until she goes in next month to see how well her asthma is managed and if any adjustments need to be made to her medication. Hopefully she can come off something!! I write down her peak flow, her SpO2 and any notes then we will take it to her doc with us and let him decide. Just looking for someone else who is using one regularly

January 27th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Sounds like your dr has a good plan for you guys. Hopefully she will get to come off some meds soon like you want. Has she been in the red much?

January 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM
No, rarely in the red. Last time we went to the ER she was at 40% of personal best, which is dangerously low.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search