I H.A.T.E. the flu...

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny was diagnosed with the flu yesterday morning. He started Xopenex every four hours around 11:30 and wasn't wheezing at all. He was coughing but not wheezing. This evening he has started wheezing and having frequent coughing fits. I called his doctor and he said to add Pulmicort as soon as we got of the phone and then again in 4 hours. He then needed it when he woke up and went to bed on Thursday and if he wasn't doing better by thursday afternoon to call and schedule an appt for friday. So now he is on Advair (apparently the medium dose), Xopenex every 4 hours round the clock, and Pulmicort which he had at 7:40 and will need at 11:40 then again around 7am when he gets up and then again at 6:30 before bed. His doctor said basically there is no more wiggle room as he is now at the maximun dose of everything other than having xop every 3 hours and pulmicort every 8. If he has anymore issues tonight he said to call back but he likely would only be able to tell us to go to the ER.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Im sorry he is not getting better yet. Hang in there, I know its tough. We have been down that road many times. When we go to the ER they generally give Nyla a nebulizer treatment of double dose albuterol + inhaled epinephrine and monitor her breathing, then send us home with breathing treatments, prednisone, zythromax, sometimes dexamethazone (first dose given there, second at home) and a follow up the next day. Its not so bad, and some times that double dose albuterol + inhaled epinephrine seems to be just what she needs.

Keep us posted on how he is doing. I will be checking for updates, (((more hugs)))

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Poor little guy. That is a strict schedule. I hope he gets better soon. Let us know how he is doing today.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

January 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He didn't get ER worthy last night but he is still getting worse. We are supposed to go in to the Dr at 2pm EST. I am not sure what they are going to do but he is now wheezing on both sides and the left side is top to bottom...not just top anymore.

January 27th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The Dr said to up the Xopenex to every 3 hours while he is awake but keep it at every 4 while he is sleeping. Pulmicort every 12 but try to wean off of it because his heart rate is high due to the Advair plus pulmicort. He gave us a prescription for oropred incase we need it but so far he hasn't needed it. At night is usually when he starts coughing...around 8-9pm. He is usually already asleep but wakes up due to the cough. He asked me to go to bed early at 5:40. I let him reluctantly just because if he gets up at 4, I get up at 4. His temp is back up to 101.7 though so that is probably not helping... We have to watch him really closely and if his fever goes down for more than 24 hours then spikes he goes straight to the office during office hours and straight to the ER after office hours. I am just praying that doesn't happen. He said that if Danny hadn't been on the advair than he likely would have wound up inpatient with breathing trouble considering how much it helped before the flu and he is needing all this even with the Advair.

Leave it to me to open my big mouth...the coughing has started early. I think I will just go pick it up now instead of later... :/

January 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
I would start the prednisone. It sounds like he needs it, and within 48 hours you should see a difference. Good luck, hope you and Danny both get some much needed rest tonight.

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 27th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I picked it up just incase. He had one cougng fit when we got home and since then has been pretty much ok. It is on my nightstand with the syringe just incase but I am hoping he won't need it. He has been on so many rounds of steroids that I am not entirely sure that isn't why he is always sick. Prolonged use apparently damages the immune system...great. Just what I wanted to hear...

January 27th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am starting to think his ped didn't give the tamiflu in the right time frame. Danny is still running temps from 100.7 to 102.9 all day. The ped said he expected him to go back to school today which meant fever gone yesterday which meant he would have a 2 day bout with the flu and be 100% healed. Oh and the "great news!" (dripping of sarcasm) Dan was the first person on a college campus of 1200 students, not including any families and faculty, to have the flu. And his wasn't covered by the shot so he will likely get one of the ones that was covered on the shot as well...

A question... He keeps covering his head with his blankie. It is a brown fleece blanket, but everytime I try to move it he just cries and cries and eventually puts it back over his whole head. Literally all you can see of him is legs down.

ETA: I am now giving oropred...I should really just keep my mouth shut about the not coughing... This is THE last step before we have to just go to the ER... :'(

Last edited by i3ai3ydanny; January 27th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
January 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Covering his head? Perhaps the light is hurting? I would keep an eye on that. Poor guy. How is he doing this morning? I hope he is starting to feel better. KUP on how he does over the weekend.

January 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
His fever is much better. The oropred helps him pretty quickly usually and that has been the case today for the most part. He has had SEVERAL coughing fits but if I keep the house at 65 he has a lot fewer fits. I really hope he won't get a secondary infection...that would no doubt land us in the hospital... Is it really beneficial to keep the house cool enough to keep him from coughing if it has to be at 65? Is that too cold to where it can make him sicker just from it being cool? I can't layer his clothing or he starts coughing again...

January 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I think that you are the mama and you know what is best for your son. If keeping the house cooler keeps the coughing fits down then its probably for the best. Sorry you have to do that.

January 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Danny isn't getting better still. He seems to still be getting worse. The doc said if he isn't wheezig badly, blue, or retracting that he doesn't need to go in. So a coughing fit once per minute...literally...all night long is fine as long as those things aren't present. I HATE THIS!! Sorry...I am just to the point that I would rather have something above be present so tat someone more skilled than I am could help him... :'(

January 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I am so sorry. I hope he starts feeling better soon. I know how frustrating that is to not be able to help them and to have to watch them suffer. Prayers that he gets better soon without an ER visit.

January 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He FINALLY is starting to cough a little less at night. We still have xopenex every 2 hours round the clock but we haven't had to do a back to back since the first one that didn't work... I am so greatful that he is getting better. Thank you guys for all your support.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search