sigh. Not what I expected

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Today A.J has to go back on Singular.. He has a little wheezing in his lungs.. He's also back on Flonase. Which is a steroid nasal spray. To help with getting rid of all of his nasal congestion and the congestion in his inner ear.

I guess I was praying really hard that his Asthma would disappear.. The doctor told me that he was slowly working his way to having an asthma attack.. Just by the way he was breathing.. So, I just gave him a treatment of Albuterol and tonight he'll get his singular..

I'm also nervous because around this time last year is when he had Broncholitis.. I'm afraid he'll get it again.. Not a fun experience for me..

February 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
If you stay on top of the meds hopefully you will avoid any sickness. When we are very proactive with Jeremy's meds we don't end up sick with broncituis. I know its not fun. I am sorry he had to go back on the meds.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

February 3rd, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That is what I hear as well. With children who have a normal immune system staying on top of the meds is 90% of the battle to keep their lungs healthy and they are less likely to get bronchiolitis or anything else.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks ladies..

I know it's my fault for stopping the meds.. I was just so scared it was effecting his growth. He's so small for his age.

But I'll do what I'm told now.. At least he's not back on Flovent..

February 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
He may be small for other reasons. Does he eat enough to grow and maintain his own growth curve? Even if he is below the charts, if he maintains his own curve than he is fine. If he won't eat enough to sustain himself or if he eats a lot more than what he needs and still isn't growing than I would try to talk with a nutritionist but as long as he is stable and growing...even if it is slowly, I wouldn't worry about his growth. The steroids can make children grow slower but it isn't common and his doctor...if he is a good doctor....wouldn't risk it at all if he didn't feel the benefits outweigh the risks. Make sure you tell your doctor how you feel about him being on steroids and see if there are other alternatives for him. There may not be any but maybe he could have you cut back unless he is symptomatic but still have a maintenance dose if/when needed.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 8th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Oh.. My boy eats like a horse.. I know he's getting his nutrients..

I'm just a worry wart.. He was in the 75th percentile for weight and 50th for height before he got sick..Now, he's barely on the charts for height and hanging on for weight.. He was actually first measured at 28.5 inches at his 15 month check up, which is ZERO percentile.. Then remeasured but he was not very corpoertave like the first and was 29 inches, 10th percentile.. I will not be surprised if he doesn't grow much at his 18 month check up.. His weight is in the 10th percentile.. Dr. is not concerned about his growth, but she was asking me how much milk he drank (at the time he drank ALOT) and his food intake.. But she said he's following his growth curve.. He's a small guy..

Dr. asked for me to come in so we can talk about his food allergies, he allergic to egg whites, peanuts, and soy.. She wanted to make sure I was not restricting his diet.. Which I don't.. I like to experiment what he can have, like he can have french toast with no problem.. I just don't do strait eggs. I know soy and peanuts out of the question though.. I do play it safe. He's to small to have a Epi pen Jr.. So I keep a good stock of benadryl on hand.

Right now he's on Singular and Flonase (nasal steroid).. I'm going to stick to the plan this time.. If the doctors start to get concerned about him growing, I'll bring up the steroid issue.. What's nice is that he is much older now.. When he was 8 months old, it kinda freaked me out a bit..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search