Asthma meds?

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hi. I just joined the boards to find other moms that have children with asthma and see if anyone had any advice. My son is 5 and he has allergies and asthma. The only time his asthma acts up though is when he is sick. During school time he gets sick about once a month. When his asthma starts to mess up he goes into spells where he continuously coughs nonstop and has short breaths. The only thing I can do is to keep giving him his inhaler until he finally comes out of the spell about a day or two later. The inhaler does not even seem to make any difference. He uses proair hfa inhailer. I've been to three different docs but none have worked. Is this just normal for asthma and something you have to wait out? Or should I keep looking for something to fix it? He has used singulair which did not fix it. It only helped a little. Which I would rather not use for the side effects if it does not work. I've tried a nebulizer to see if that would make a difference. He still went into his spell with the nebulizer but I did not have a childs mask and had to use an adult for it if that makes any difference. The other options I have is to put him on an inhaled steroid daily or give him a steroid, i think its prednisolone, during his attack. I don't really like having him on something everyday if its not a problem everyday for fear of side effects later down the road. Is this just normal with asthma? Which is the best option with the least amount of side effects or is there a better option? Thank you for any help.
February 4th, 2011, 08:10 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Have you seen a pulmonologist? They can give you a good asthma action plan. His rescue med should help, when it does not is one of the times you go to the hospital, at least that is how our asthma plan is. Nyla will be 6 this month and has been in singulair daily since she was 24 months old. She also takes a daily inhaled steroid (FloVent) and prevacid (she aspirates) to help with her asthma. We use 2 puffs Ventolin inhaler for attacks and it helps, even though we are giving it every hour sometimes. When this is not enough she goes on a 5 day course of prednisone.

Prevention is the best option with asthma. See if you can get into a pulmonologist and have him help you with a plan and get him on the right meds to help prevent these attacks. Daily allergy meds would probably help him too.

Good luck, hope this helps

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
February 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Jeremy's asthma only acts up when he gets a cold. As soon as we see it start we start the nebulizer and inhaler treatments. This keeps him from getting worse. It isn't immediate. It takes a couple days. He is also on once a day singular. From 6 months to age 3 we had bronchitis 4-5 times a winter. Since we started doing this we haven't had it once. I agree you should see a pulmonalogist for a plan if what you are currently doing isn't working. Nothing we do is immediate. Ours is more preventive than rescue. I hope you can find a dr that can help more than the others have. Please feel free to poke around, ask questions and join in. Welcome to the group and JM.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

February 5th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny's asthma is more like your son's. Whenever he gets any sort of respiratory infection he would have coughing fits that he couldn't breathe through. We were doing pulmicort every 8 and xopenex every 3 and he still had to have 4 rounds of prednisone in 2 months. Preventative medicine is key. If he isn't on a medicine to prevent the attacks his attacks will be much harder to stop. :/ Danny takes singulair daily and Advair 2 puffs 2x daily and that has REALLY helped. He only had to have xopenex three times and those were all after playing in the snow up untill he had the flu which trashed his lungs. He is back on just the Advair and Singulair already which would have taken months to get back down to no breathing treatments....if it happened...without the maintenance meds.

And make sure that he has a rescue medicine that works...if it doesn't improve his breathing for "x" amount of time as set by his doctor that he either needs to go to the ER or whatever else his doctor has set up. You need a plan of what to do if the rescue meds don't work.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search