Our LONG 2 1/2 weeks

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2011, 08:18 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
I havent been around for awhile. We have had a house full of sick people and it has been less than fun!! It started over 2 weeks ago when Lex brought home a cold from school... no big deal; she had a sore throat and cough for a few days and was fine. That was a Thursday. By Friday Nyla and Brandon were both coughing and running a high fever and getting very sick. On Saturday I started to get it too, and I am one who NEVER gets sick. Monday came and I took both Nyla and Brandon to the doctor and Brandon was given dexamthasone for croup and Nyla was bumped up to her step up therapy for her asthma. Brandon improved pretty fast, but Nyla did not. By Tuesday I myself was so sick I could not get out of bed. Nyla missed the entire week of school and by Friday breathing was so difficult for her we ended up in the ER. She was diagnosed with an ear infection, sinus infection, and asthma attack. They started her on antibiotics, and prednisolone. She had been back up to 33.8 pounds, but was again just 32.2 pounds. So frustrating. Slowly but surely she has been improving over the last week and is now at 33.2 pounds. They think she had RSV again.

After a week and a half I could not get better. Coughing non stop and breathing so hard. Im very stubborn and refused to admit anything could be wrong. I stopped eating and couldnt drink anything and finally my mom forced me to see the doctor. She said I had an ear infection (first one I have ever had in my entire life, and man, are they PAINFUL!) a sinus infection (first one I have had in 12 years) and pneumonia. She sent me home on antibiotics and an inhaler and said to come back if I wasnt getting better in a few days.

After 3 days I was not any better, but refused to admit it. Again my mom forced me to go to the doctor again. When we got there I carried just 95 lbs on my 5 ft 7 in frame and my doctor was not happy. My ear infection was not better and my blood pressure was dangerously low due to dehydration. She made me do a breathing treatment in the office which didnt help, so she sent me to the hospital. I was so upset and did NOT want to go, but of course mom made me LOL. They ordered IV fluids, a lung x-ray and blood work. The blood work came back that I was dangerously dehydrated so they made me stay for MORE IV fluids and my lung x-ray showed I had a serious case of viral pneumonia as well as a pleural effusion (pocket of fluid between the lung and chest wall) in my left lung. I was floored! I couldnt believe I was so ill and thought it was just a cold.

Anyway, on top of that my x-ray also showed that I have hyperinflation due to moderate COPD. Seriously?? I smoked from the time I was 12 until I was 19. I am now 29. That cant be right! Im way to young to have lung disease like that! Everyone went on and on about how good this radiologist is and how much they trust his opinion, but now I dont know what to think. I have had issues with shortness of breath for about 6 years now, but chalked it up to being out of shape.

The doc said it will take a few weeks for my lungs to recover from the pneumonia, and that I was very lucky I went in when I did or things would have been much worse. Each day I am getting a little better, but the issue of having lung disease is really bothering me. They told me to be careful not to catch a cold again if I can avoid it because chances are I would get pneumonia again. I just cant believe this is happening to me; someone who NEVER even gets sick.

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
February 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I am so sorry! I am glad Nyla is getting better and I am glad that you are doing okay! That sounds like a LOT to deal with! I hope the radiologist was wrong and that it is all from the pneuonia. (((((HUGS))))

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How are you and Nyla feeling now? Hopefully you guys are on the mend or all better. Have you heard anything more about your diagnosis? Update when you get a chance.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

February 26th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
^Ditto

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Hey, sorry I havent been around much. Nyla is doing better. Tomorrow is her 6 year check up. I will update when we get back. I have to go back for another lung x-ray to see how advanced my COPD is and she will give me some inhalers to help with the shortness of breath. The biggest part of me doesnt want to know, but DH is insisting I find out. The doctor asked me if I grew up with a smoker and it never occurred to me, but yes I did. My step dad was a very heavy smoker, in the house and in the car so I have had much more exposure than I thought I did. I was 5 when I moved in with him, and started smoking at age 12. I left home at age 16, but was already a smoker by then, and quit at age 19. Although it doesnt seem like that much exposure, it was still enough to cause permanent and chronic lung disease. Accepting this has been really hard. Anyway, I will update when I know more. Thanks for thinking of us

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
February 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I hope Nyla's 6 year well check goes fantastic.
I hope your appointment isn't as bad as you fear. Sorry you are going through it. Can't wait to hear how you guys are doing after the appointment tomorrow.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search