New here- but not to JM

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Hi. I'm Vicky, mommy to DS Frederick (3 years). He was just diagnosed with Asthma yesterday and this whole experience is new for me as a mom. We have asthma that runs on my side of the family (my sister has severe asthma/allergies, I have conditional asthma, my great grandmother had it, and my neice also has it)

We just started doing his nebulizer treatments 2x a day (albuterol and Polmicort mixed).

How does this work in conjunction with his sever allergies? He's on zyrtec, singulair, flonase, plus allergy shots are starting Thursday 2x a week.

Also.. have any of you ever heard of a preschool insisting on having the nebulizer there instead of just the epi pen? His school, when I informed them of the diagnosis, told me they would give him his nebulizer first before using an epi pen..

March 22nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We had an inhaler at my son's daycare. We never took his nebulizer to school. That seems like a pain especially because we only have one and use it whenever he gets sick.
Welcome to the board. Please ask questions and join in. We are super busy but we are here whenever you need.
DS takes singular to prevent flair ups and neb treatments when he starts to get a cold. Otherwise it settles in his chest and becomes broncitus. Its no fun.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
We had an inhaler at my son's daycare. We never took his nebulizer to school. That seems like a pain especially because we only have one and use it whenever he gets sick.
Welcome to the board. Please ask questions and join in. We are super busy but we are here whenever you need.
DS takes singular to prevent flair ups and neb treatments when he starts to get a cold. Otherwise it settles in his chest and becomes broncitus. Its no fun.
Thanks.

Do the treatments work well? He's been doing the nebulizer since yesterday and he's still coughing a lot and wheezing some. Is there anything I can do to help or does it just take time?

March 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Usually it takes a couple days for us to see improvement. It kind of depends on how proactive I was too. The longer I wait to start the longer it takes to see improvement. We have been bronchitis free for two years now. Before that it was 4-5 times a winter since he was born. It has been wonderful.
Does your son have any allergies that could be causing the flare ups? Or maybe the better question is what are the allergies causing his flare ups? I know we have had ladies that took out the carpet in their homes to help their kids with their asthma. Found new homes for animals. Gotten special machines. There are all sorts of ways to help other than just meds. The meds help though as well.

March 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
Usually it takes a couple days for us to see improvement. It kind of depends on how proactive I was too. The longer I wait to start the longer it takes to see improvement. We have been bronchitis free for two years now. Before that it was 4-5 times a winter since he was born. It has been wonderful.
Does your son have any allergies that could be causing the flare ups? Or maybe the better question is what are the allergies causing his flare ups? I know we have had ladies that took out the carpet in their homes to help their kids with their asthma. Found new homes for animals. Gotten special machines. There are all sorts of ways to help other than just meds. The meds help though as well.
He was allergy tested this month. He's allergic to grass, molds, pollen, trees, dust, dander, cats, dogs, outdoor/indoor molds, horses.

Before he was allergy tested he was getting URI (upper respiratory infections) and double ear infections all the time. Still is. He even had his adenoids removed trying to calm the allergies/sinus stuff down. Plus tubes in his ears and he still gets double ear infections.

Meds wise, he's been on Singulair, Zyrtec, and Flonase for over a year and it never controlled the coughing/wheezing/URI's/allergy reactions. Thusly, he's going on shots 2x a week starting Thursday.

Now, adding in the pulmicort and albuterol 2x a day.

That's why I was asking if the nebulizer helps with everything. I'm just wishing he'd stay well.

Outside of meds, we are going to be moving in May to an apartment or rental house that's pet free.

Right now, we live with my sister in her 2bdrm condo with 2 cats and carpet that's been there for a long time (over 15 yrs) My parents are going to rip the carpet up thankfully, and we're going to use allergen/dust mite free mattress and pillow covers on his bed, plus air purifiers in every room, and the allergen filters for the furnance.

Is there anything else we can do?

March 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Just getting away from things that are causing flare ups should help him a ton. DS is a more mild case of asthma than many kids here on this board. He doesn't have the allergies he just gets a cold that settles due to his asthma. I hope the shots and moving help him poor guy.

March 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope so too.. We had to go back to the Asthma/allergy dr again today. He's now on albuterol every 3 hrs till this cough and wheezing goes away.

March 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello.. I'm Melissa and your son sounds just like my son.. My son was diagnosed with Asthma at 9 months old but had problems since he was 3 1/2 months old.

My advice is to get him away from his triggers..

My son is on singular, Flovent, and Flonase.. I'm sure he has seasonal allergies but he is to young to be tested for it.. He also has food allergies and just recently had tubes placed in his ears due to constant ear infections, all linked to his allergies.. He is severely allergic to cats..

What helped my son was Flovent.. Flovent is for long term maintenance.. Takes about 2 weeks for it to take effect but has done wonders.. I tend to stay away from nebulizer treatments because my 1 1/2 year old HATES it.. It's a constant struggle..

My son had a horrible flare up with his ashtma a few weeks ago.. He was put on a oral steroid called Prelone and albuterol ever 3 hours while awake.. Took about 48 hours for the steroids to take effect and then he got better withing 5 days with neb treatments.. In all honesty the steroids is what helped my son verses the albuterol treatments.

I do hope your son gets well soon..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
March 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
Hello.. I'm Melissa and your son sounds just like my son.. My son was diagnosed with Asthma at 9 months old but had problems since he was 3 1/2 months old.

My advice is to get him away from his triggers..

My son is on singular, Flovent, and Flonase.. I'm sure he has seasonal allergies but he is to young to be tested for it.. He also has food allergies and just recently had tubes placed in his ears due to constant ear infections, all linked to his allergies.. He is severely allergic to cats..

What helped my son was Flovent.. Flovent is for long term maintenance.. Takes about 2 weeks for it to take effect but has done wonders.. I tend to stay away from nebulizer treatments because my 1 1/2 year old HATES it.. It's a constant struggle..

My son had a horrible flare up with his ashtma a few weeks ago.. He was put on a oral steroid called Prelone and albuterol ever 3 hours while awake.. Took about 48 hours for the steroids to take effect and then he got better withing 5 days with neb treatments.. In all honesty the steroids is what helped my son verses the albuterol treatments.

I do hope your son gets well soon..
We're trying to get him away from the triggers. The biggest ones are going to be ripping the carpet up, cleaning out the ducts, changing the filter in the furnance, allergy proofing his room, and the air purifiers.

We can't move until May. I won't have the money for us to move to a new place until then.

His ENT at Ohio Valley ENT said that his ear infections are caused by his allergies/sinus's backing up into his ears even with tubes.

Is Flovent an inhaler? His Astma/Allergy dr won't put him on any inhalers yet.

He wants him to use the nebulizer for a month to see how it helps him.
Frederick hates the nebulizer too. At the moment, he's on prednisone 2x a day for 7 days again. This is his second round with it. He still has a horrible rolling cough and gets wheezing and very short of breath when he runs around or just climbing or doing simple things. I do give him the nebulizer albuterol treatments.. but..

Then last night he started running a fever. He got as high as 103.. then it broke on its own.. down to 97.1.. then it went to 100.1.. then 101.. then broke.. all night long.

Is there anything I can ask the dr's about? Any suggestions?

March 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
These medicines can make your head spin!

One point I wanted to make from the first post: when you said that daycare wants the neb there and they would give it before the epipen. I think you should talk to them carefully about that one. If a child is having an allergic reaction that requires an epipen, they need that IMMEDIATELY and the daycare should be calling 911, not messing around with a respiratory treatment!

Sorry if I didn't read that part right but just wanted to make sure- 2 different meds that do entirely different things!
March 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry he had to be bumped up to every 3 hours. I hope you see some improvement quickly. Poor guy with all those fevers. I am not sure what else you should ask the dr.

March 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2lilman View Post
We're trying to get him away from the triggers. The biggest ones are going to be ripping the carpet up, cleaning out the ducts, changing the filter in the furnance, allergy proofing his room, and the air purifiers.

We can't move until May. I won't have the money for us to move to a new place until then.

His ENT at Ohio Valley ENT said that his ear infections are caused by his allergies/sinus's backing up into his ears even with tubes.

Is Flovent an inhaler? His Astma/Allergy dr won't put him on any inhalers yet.

He wants him to use the nebulizer for a month to see how it helps him.
Frederick hates the nebulizer too. At the moment, he's on prednisone 2x a day for 7 days again. This is his second round with it. He still has a horrible rolling cough and gets wheezing and very short of breath when he runs around or just climbing or doing simple things. I do give him the nebulizer albuterol treatments.. but..

Then last night he started running a fever. He got as high as 103.. then it broke on its own.. down to 97.1.. then it went to 100.1.. then 101.. then broke.. all night long.

Is there anything I can ask the dr's about? Any suggestions?

Yes, Flovent is a inhaler.

My son is being treated by a Pediatrician who specializes in Asthma.. Maybe see a ped doctor for a second opinion.. Unless your Allergist is a Pediatric Allergist. My son was diagnosed with having the atopic triad.. Maybe ask your doctor about it..

Pediatric Asthma Experience Journal

I'm also sorry your son is having a fever.. My son had a fever for 5 days when he was on Prelone.. Not a fun drug since it suppresses the immune system..

I can relate to the ear problems.. A.J ears has been draining since we had the tubes placed.. Not fun and really disgusting..

I bet it's hard to try to get rid of your son's triggers.. Your son's allergies are more complicated then my son. My son is allergic to Peanuts, Soy, Egg Whites, dogs, <-- just moderately allergic too.. But most serious is cat dander.. I can't imagine what you have to do..

My son goes to daycare.. I always keep my nebulizer on hand. As for the Epi-Pen, I would ask the doctor for more then one pen and just keep one at school and one with you.. My son currently does not have one.. I think it may be because he is to small for a epi-pen Jr.. But I was told to keep benadryl on hand..

I do hope your son is on the mend.. Please keep us updated..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 26th, 2011 at 12:03 AM.
March 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes, Flovent is a inhaler.

My son is being treated by a Pediatrician who specializes in Asthma.. Maybe see a ped doctor for a second opinion.. Unless your Allergist is a Pediatric Allergist. My son was diagnosed with having the atopic triad.. Maybe ask your doctor about it..

Pediatric Asthma Experience Journal

I'm also sorry your son is having a fever.. My son had a fever for 5 days when he was on Prelone.. Not a fun drug since it suppresses the immune system..

I can relate to the ear problems.. A.J ears has been draining since we had the tubes placed.. Not fun and really disgusting..

I bet it's hard to try to get rid of your son's triggers.. Your son's allergies are more complicated then my son. My son is allergic to Peanuts, Soy, Egg Whites, dogs, <-- just moderately allergic too.. But most serious is cat dander.. I can't imagine what you have to do..

My son goes to daycare.. I always keep my nebulizer on hand. As for the Epi-Pen, I would ask the doctor for more then one pen and just keep one at school and one with you.. My son currently does not have one.. I think it may be because he is to small for a epi-pen Jr.. But I was told to keep benadryl on hand..

I do hope your son is on the mend.. Please keep us updated..
Thanks. He's been fever free now if you can believe it since friday. I'm glad about that.

His Asthma/Allergist Dr. sees both children and adults. They are there for the kids too.

I hate when Frederick's ears drain. It's nasty- discoloured stuff comes out and I'm left going ew.

I think that's why he's on so much medicine and year round. (Singulair, Flonase, and Zyrtec.)

That's a good idea. I might do that so that I don't have to hand over mine and then forget to get it back.

I'm hoping he can see this other dr who is strictly pediatric in allergy/asthma because if he ever goes to the ER/gets admitted it's who he'll see. Dr. EID.

Frederick's getting benadryl brought to the school on Monday as well as his epi pen and nebulizer.

Thankfully since the prednisone was upped and he's been on albueterol treatment every 3 hrs his cough is finally starting to subside some as well as the wheezing.

His allergist/asthma dr is going to have a chest xray done soon to look at his lungs and then some ct scan to look at his sinus's and then we'll go from there.

He said we really need to get the allergies under control and with doing that, we'll get his asthma under control too. I'm all for that.

I'm definitely going to ask about the long-term care inhaler and see what they say.

I have to say too since the pulmicort has been introduced nebulizer wise that he doesn't have as much shortness of breath either and some of the circles have disapeared under his eyes.

I'm glad for that.

March 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Sounds like you know what your doing..

This is all new to me too.. I learn as I go.. I made the mistake of stopping my son's meds because he was getting better.. He was off meds for 3 months with no problem, then it hit with a ton of bricks.. At the time my son was not even one year old.. All these meds scare me with side effects.. But I will stick with the plans now.. I just can't wait until he can tell me what's wrong..

March 27th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Sounds like you know what your doing..

This is all new to me too.. I learn as I go.. I made the mistake of stopping my son's meds because he was getting better.. He was off meds for 3 months with no problem, then it hit with a ton of bricks.. At the time my son was not even one year old.. All these meds scare me with side effects.. But I will stick with the plans now.. I just can't wait until he can tell me what's wrong..
Wow.. I know..

In winter time, his pediatrician wanted us to try taking him off his allergy meds because they thought with the first frost he'd be okay. Nope. He was off them 1.5 weeks and he got a bad sinus/upper respiratory with a lot of wheezing and coughing from the cold (now known to be asthma part of it)

March 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Why is he supposed to have an epipen at all for an asthma attack? If he is having an anaphylactic reaction than the epipen would help but for an asthma attack he would need a rescue inhaler. It isn't a question of whether the neb works for rescue purposes...it is a question of why the doctor isn't considering it... :/ I am glad the nebs and steroids are working. Danny has always had to have the prednisone to get back on track once something gets rumbly. He will be on Xopenex every 2 hours and was on pulmicort every 8 hours but since he has been on Advair (starting in January) he has only needed one dose of steroids and three weeks of breathing treatments and that was when he had the flu!!! I really hope that your doc will wake up to the fact that if it isn't working then it isn't working. Danny has an aerochamber for his Advair. The allergist/asthma dr was hoping to lower the dose this coming month but Danny has had a couple flairs enough to make me and his doctor uncomfortable with that. I would discuss this with Frederick's doctor... It really sounds like he needs a rescue inhaler and an asthma action plan. If he has an asthma action plan that will tell you and his daycare what needs to happen in what progression when he has asthma symptoms. I really don't understand the Epipen for asthma thing...is he doing that to treat an ANA reaction or an asthma flare?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 28th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I talked to them on saturday about the epi-pen, they said it's to stop the flair up of an allergic reaction which triggers his asthma. I personally think he needs a rescue inhaler too. At least though, the treatments and steroid worked. His cough was sounding much better (he stopped coughing/wheezing and the bags started disapearing under his eyes) once he started those.

His asthma action plan is pulmicort and albuterol 2x a day unless he's coughing/wheezing. Then albuterol is given as needed. (every 3-4 hrs for mild. Every 2-3 hours for moderate. And every 30 mins for severe. Plus it's call dr on moderate. Go to ER for severe.) We're hoping to get him down to pulimicort 1-2x a day.

I will also say that I don't think the Zyrtec, Singulair, and Flonase are working either. I know he's starting allergy shots which will help but I was told it will take 6 months. So, that combination of allergy medicine does not stop his allergic reactions. He's always sick. Every 2-3 weeks he gets an URI/Sinus infection/Bronchitis

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search