Exposed to Croup

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Well Frederick and I were over at that friends house and she said her son was hoarse. So I left Frederick for about an hour while I went to go pick up my Aunt at the airport.

While I was gone, her son started spiking a 102 fever.

Getting back, I listened to the sound and told her to sounding barky to me whenever the 2 year old laughed. I gathered Frederick up and got us out of there and told her she should check her little one for croup.

She did this morning and he does have it!

What are the chances Frederick will get it??

March 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
If he is on steroids...pretty high... I would call his doc and see what preventative treatments he wants to start... He needs something or that will kick his lungs into the trash can. Poor kid...

I would pop in the choosing not to vaccinate forum and ask if there is anything you can take to try to boost his immune system. Danny and I took Elderberry Extract when he had the flu and he got over it quicker and I never got it...that is just for the flu though... I would check in with them and see if they have anything to offer. :/ I'm sorry hon...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 28th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
If he is on steroids...pretty high... I would call his doc and see what preventative treatments he wants to start... He needs something or that will kick his lungs into the trash can. Poor kid...

I would pop in the choosing not to vaccinate forum and ask if there is anything you can take to try to boost his immune system. Danny and I took Elderberry Extract when he had the flu and he got over it quicker and I never got it...that is just for the flu though... I would check in with them and see if they have anything to offer. :/ I'm sorry hon...
Thanks. I'm so furious about it. I wish she had told me his laugh was barky.

She has no idea how contagious that is. She offered to watch him yesterday after her son had just been diagnosed..

March 28th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She KNEW he had croup?!?!?!?! That would just ROYALLY tick me off!!! Is this the same one that was with you when he had his first attack? She really should know to be more cautious around him with respiratory infections... ((((HUGS)))) Sorry Mama.. Keep us posted on how he does over the next week. It will usually hit within 3-7 days.

March 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
She KNEW he had croup?!?!?!?! That would just ROYALLY tick me off!!! Is this the same one that was with you when he had his first attack? She really should know to be more cautious around him with respiratory infections... ((((HUGS)))) Sorry Mama.. Keep us posted on how he does over the next week. It will usually hit within 3-7 days.
Yes this is the same person. She was there when I took him straight to the ICC.

She knew her son sounded hoarse and his laugh was barky. She suspected he had croup. When I finally heard it- I *knew* it was croup.

March 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ick...I'm sorry...

March 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
If she suspected she should have mentioned it. Its one thing if a parent honestly doesn't know her child is sick but another completely when they know they are sick and know that your child has respitory problems. I am so sorry she did that. I hope he doesn't get sick. I agree that you should call the dr and ask them what to do to help keep him from getting it. I do that when the kids have been exposed to something. Good luck and let us know how he does.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 28th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
If she suspected she should have mentioned it. Its one thing if a parent honestly doesn't know her child is sick but another completely when they know they are sick and know that your child has respitory problems. I am so sorry she did that. I hope he doesn't get sick. I agree that you should call the dr and ask them what to do to help keep him from getting it. I do that when the kids have been exposed to something. Good luck and let us know how he does.
Thanks. I did call his asthma/allergy doctor and I told them what happened. The RN i spoke to was NOT happy about that. She said, unfortunately, there isn't much I can do to prevent it. That since he's been on a steroid (prednisone) his odds of getting it are significantly increased. He went from a 30-40% chance of catching it to 80% chance of getting it.

I don't know if sniffles have anything to do with it, but today he's been sniffling and he's been coughing a little more.

I'm going to keep a really close eye on him. The first sign of it, and he'll be straight into the dr/asthma dr on it.

March 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sniffles are the first sign...as well as a dryish cough. If he is showing symptoms at all I would call already. It is much better preventing it from getting bad then waiting for him to get croupy. :/

March 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
sniffles are the first sign...as well as a dryish cough. If he is showing symptoms at all I would call already. It is much better preventing it from getting bad then waiting for him to get croupy. :/
I will call tomorrow morning during my externship and see what they say.

April 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I hope he didn't catch it..

A.J was in a similar situation at school (daycare).. RSV and Croup were the biggest.. A.J was on oral steriods as well but by the grace of God, he was unaffected..

April 9th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
I hope he didn't catch it..

A.J was in a similar situation at school (daycare).. RSV and Croup were the biggest.. A.J was on oral steriods as well but by the grace of God, he was unaffected..
Well frederick got an URI. plus his tonsils are swollen and red. His throat is also very red. No fever though.
His dr has prescribed him ceftin plus his albuterol.

April 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Danny has had a really red throat and swollen glands since Tuesday. He has apparently had a lot of down the throat drainage but none visible in the front. We went in twice last week for it because his white counts were low before he got sick and will likely be going back monday because he is doing no better. :/ I hope frederick starts feeling better soon. ((((HUGS)))))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search