Log In Sign Up

Albueterol and Nebulizer for 2 year old without asthma?


Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Oh geeze. Have you all ever heard of a dr sending a 2 year old home with a nebulizer and albueterol for a cold/cough??? This same toddler who exposed my son to croup's mom begged for and got a nebulizer?????

Just because my sons on it. Wow..
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 30th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 7,977
I would say yes.. Albuterol can be used to help with chest congestion..

I would not pay attention to that other mom.. She may just be worried or may want the same diagnoses as your son.. Not like I would wish Asthma on any child..


Medical Treatment of Chest Congestion

When you visit your doctor, your blood oxygen levels will be evaluated. If your blood is carrying less than 95 percent oxygen, you may be hospitalized for treatment. If your blood oxygen levels are good, you may treat yourself at home. The goal in treatment of chest congestion, no matter the cause, is to thin out the mucus so that it can be coughed up easily. There are two major medications that can help achieve this.

Cough expectorants will thin out the mucus so it is easier to cough up. If you purchase your own, make sure that you purchase an expectorant as opposed to a suppressant. Suppressants are for dry coughs with no chest congestion.

Your doctor may prescribe an albuterol inhaler. Albuterol is a bronchial dilator. Dilating the bronchial tubes will allow more air to enter your lungs. This is especially helpful for the pneumonia sufferer, as it will make breathing less painful.


Read more: What Is Chest Congestion? | eHow.com What Is Chest Congestion? | eHow.com
__________________









Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 30th, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
I would say yes.. Albuterol can be used to help with chest congestion..

I would not pay attention to that other mom.. She may just be worried or may want the same diagnoses as your son.. Not like I would wish Asthma on any child..


Medical Treatment of Chest Congestion

When you visit your doctor, your blood oxygen levels will be evaluated. If your blood is carrying less than 95 percent oxygen, you may be hospitalized for treatment. If your blood oxygen levels are good, you may treat yourself at home. The goal in treatment of chest congestion, no matter the cause, is to thin out the mucus so that it can be coughed up easily. There are two major medications that can help achieve this.

Cough expectorants will thin out the mucus so it is easier to cough up. If you purchase your own, make sure that you purchase an expectorant as opposed to a suppressant. Suppressants are for dry coughs with no chest congestion.

Your doctor may prescribe an albuterol inhaler. Albuterol is a bronchial dilator. Dilating the bronchial tubes will allow more air to enter your lungs. This is especially helpful for the pneumonia sufferer, as it will make breathing less painful.


Read more: What Is Chest Congestion? | eHow.com What Is Chest Congestion? | eHow.com
Wow. Yeah. I think she wants her kid to be the same.

Her son really does only have a cold... and she begged for one. She's on the HIP plan for her son (healthy indiana plan for children) So they gave him a nebulizer to take home.. and albuterol prescription.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 31st, 2011, 07:07 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 22,034
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
DS has had a nebulizer since before he was diagnosed. He got bronchitis at 6 months so they sent one home to help him get better. We have used it throughout the years to help him get better and now use it to help him not not get so sick.
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/


Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 1st, 2011, 04:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
DS has had a nebulizer since before he was diagnosed. He got bronchitis at 6 months so they sent one home to help him get better. We have used it throughout the years to help him get better and now use it to help him not not get so sick.
But that's the thing. He doesn't have bronchitis or pnuemonia. If he did, then sure I could see it. But it's for a cough/cold- according to the toddlers mom.

I remember Frederick going through bouts of croup, bronchitis, URIS that lasted 3 weeks, and he never got one till the asthma/allergy diagnosed him with asthma.

He'd go through multiple rounds of medications trying to get rid of it. I just think it's weird too that Frederick has one and now so does her kid.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 2nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I think it is the nostalgia and attention of having a neb for her maybe. Danny got one at 2 months and pretty much stayed on it for 6 months but again...he had croup and it was so bad that they really thought he had RSV. Then after that is lungs wouldn't heal. But if he doesn't have chest congestion or isn't wheezing or having bronchospasms then there isn't really a logical reason to give him one. I know even at the ER that I worked at, we had a hispanic family that came in and the doctor really didn't answer their questions very well (via a translator) so they felt he wasn't really looking because she sounded really bad. The baby had mucous all along her throat (upper only) which he could hear and knew that was the sound...not wheezing...but didn't tell the family. After they asked him why she sounded bad a few times he left the room for a minute and said he would be back. I was in there and the interpretter asked me the same question. I told her about the mucous in the throat issue and she told the parents. That is all they needed and then they understood. But then the doc sent a nurse in to give the baby a neb treatment and they were all confused and thinking if she isn't very sick why does she need that? Point is...docs would rather make a parent happy than listen to them whine to an extent. Nebs are an easy thing to hand out. If the parents are happy with any fiscal responsibility to getting the machine and the treatments then they will give it to them. It isn't right but that is how the system works...
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
I think it is the nostalgia and attention of having a neb for her maybe. Danny got one at 2 months and pretty much stayed on it for 6 months but again...he had croup and it was so bad that they really thought he had RSV. Then after that is lungs wouldn't heal. But if he doesn't have chest congestion or isn't wheezing or having bronchospasms then there isn't really a logical reason to give him one. I know even at the ER that I worked at, we had a hispanic family that came in and the doctor really didn't answer their questions very well (via a translator) so they felt he wasn't really looking because she sounded really bad. The baby had mucous all along her throat (upper only) which he could hear and knew that was the sound...not wheezing...but didn't tell the family. After they asked him why she sounded bad a few times he left the room for a minute and said he would be back. I was in there and the interpretter asked me the same question. I told her about the mucous in the throat issue and she told the parents. That is all they needed and then they understood. But then the doc sent a nurse in to give the baby a neb treatment and they were all confused and thinking if she isn't very sick why does she need that? Point is...docs would rather make a parent happy than listen to them whine to an extent. Nebs are an easy thing to hand out. If the parents are happy with any fiscal responsibility to getting the machine and the treatments then they will give it to them. It isn't right but that is how the system works...
I'm thinking that's pretty much what is it. He doesn't *need* to have the neb and the albuterol since he isn't wheezing, chest congested, or the spasms.

Such a shame too. Waste of tax payers dollars for something the kid doesn't need.

Now, Frederick on the other hand, I can tell a difference between having a treatment and not. We're now back to just pulmicort with albuterol (if the albuterol is needed. If not, then it's just pulmicort) If he doesn't have the treatment, he coughs a lot and you can hear the short of breath/mild wheezing.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #8  
April 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 7,977
Sad that there are people like that out there..

I agree with you.. You can see a difference when children are really suffering from asthma with the treatments.. For some reason, the couple of asthma attacks A.J had, albuterol did nothing to help.. Duoneb was the treatment that help stop his attack at that moment.. But they don't usually prescribe that to children my son's age.. I just pray I don't have to go down that road again.. Not fun..
__________________








Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0