New here

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Hi there. New to this board.
My son has been having issues since January with a horrid cough coming every week to 2 weeks. We recently found out he has RAD, and are starting to do Allergy testing to see what/if he has a specific trigger. He's also had a constant ear infection (double) since February, so we're making the antibiotic round trying to kick it.
He just started taking singulair on Monday, and has an inhaler for before nap and bed (when he gets the worse is laying down, or running too hard).

We had his blood draw on Tuesday and the NP we are seeing for it said she'd call us when she got the results, or we will talk with our normal pedi on the 13th when we go for his med check (for his ADHD/SPD).

Seamus has had horrible luck with medical issues since he was born, so this is just another hoop for us to go through. Its also not the first time he's had breething issues but its been a while since he's had any. He was on a nebulizer for a couple weeks back in 2007 when he was 9/10mo old.

He also has 2 of the 3, "trinity" he has the 'asthma' and eczema. He's had the eczema since he was 2 months old when we first started seeing patches coming up. His most recent was his worst so far, it was from his shoulder down just past his elbow, and also a patch under his neck. It also sounds like we'll be adding in the 3rd soon with allergies after we get the results back.

Update: His doc's just called. No food allergies thankfully, but he has a "sensitivity" to mold. We just moved out of a very bad house, the floor boards in the bathroom were rotting out and there was mold under the tiles (could see it through the caulking) and in the drywall. So I'm sure thats why he was so bad from Jan till mid March. But we've been in our new house for almost a month so I thought he'd be better if it was the mold causing it. Odd.

Last edited by SandKmommy; April 8th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
April 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Welcome to the board. Sorry you are dealing with more medical stuff. It could take a little bit for the allergens to work their way out if he was exposed to mold for 3 months. Plus a cold could hold that stuff in. Jeremy's gets things that settle in his chest . Hopefully he will start feeling better soon. Please feel free to jump right in ask questions and offer advice .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Welcome! Sorry you are adding another issue. Keep in mind also that if you have had a lot of rain or moisture in your area lately that will keep general mold counts up around your home. If you can get a humidistat (a good one is like 30 bucks on radioshack.com) try to keep the humidity between 30 and 50. If your humidity is constantly above 50 you should look into getting a dehydrator. Danny's mold allergy is anaphylactic which manifests as his asthma symptoms....so far that is our thinking anyway... We have to do the above things but they have helped. I hope your LO can get some relief soon.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 10th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Welcome

I'm glad to hear you don't have any major allergies to deal with.. A.J is sensitive to milk at his last blood draw but he drinks it just fine.. So maybe once those spores get out of his lungs he'll get better..

I would suggest Vanicream for his eczema.. It's a little on the pricey side but works wonders.. A.J's eczema was severe and was caused by his soy allergy A.J would get the oozing weeping eczema. Basically leak clear yellow like fluid with inflamed skin. As a baby it covered his whole head (including face) and common spots for eczema (arms,legs, back, stomach) Not fun, but this worked for us. Maybe give that a try

Amazon.com: Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream, 1 lb: Beauty

You can find this at N. Idaho dermatology or Interlake Rx.. N. Idaho dermatology has a pump version, which is best considering it's preservative free..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 10th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
April 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
double post

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 10th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
April 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I'm wondering how long it will take for him to get over it, we lived in that house for 2˝yrs, but it started getting worse in the last year (they refused to fix it because they would've had to gut the bathroom). So he has 2˝yrs of living with mold in the house.
I'm just so happy this is a newer build (2005), has central air and a nice filter system. So we don't see any mold issues in the house. We go for his med check for his other issues on Wed. so I'm going to talk with his normal doctor more. His eczema is still pretty bad on his arm even with only bathing once a week and for a short time and right out after soap is rinsed off(like NP suggested). And Kieran's got it really bad on the back of her legs right now too.

April 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would still try cutting out dairy for a while to see if it helps their eczema. Milk allergies will often show negative in test forms including the blood test, and the skin prick test. The skin patch test is often accurate for certain types of intolerance and allergies.. Danny's milk and soy allergy were only positive in the patch test...and they were GLARINGLY positive but negative 100% in every other test. Even if you don't do the patch test I would try cutting out milk. It is a VERY common culprit in causing or irritating eczema.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search