How did you know?

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
KrystalB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there!
I'm Krystal. DS is Nathan who turned 2 in January.

I'm wondering how did you know your child had asthma? My pedi says that asthma can't be tested for until the age of 5.

Nathan has been sick quite a bit. It started with croup at 4 months old. Croup seems to return every 3 months or so. He's been getting steroids through the nebulizer more than a handful of times since turning 1.

We started Nathan in daycare in Sept 2010. Since then, he's been sick almost non-stop (runny nose, bad cough which leads to vomiting).

Our pedi sent us for allergy testing. We're waiting on the results. He said that asthma is a possibility since there's a family history (both Dh and my sister had it when they were young but grew out of it).

Nathan never really wheezes. He never really gasps for air. He does cough after hard-core running or laughing. So I'm not sure if it could still be asthma.

When he does get the nebulizer, we see an improvement in his coughing within the first three treatments.

I'm just wondering if anyone might have any advice or thoughts on this situation? Thanks so much!

My Chart
April 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
HeavenlyJewel's Avatar Loving Wife and Mom
My son has asthma and the doctor diagnosed it after being hospitalized with Pneumonia for two days. He hasn't been tested either but his Pediatrician told us he has it and he has a script for life for his neb tubes and masks. He also doesn't have much problems with breathing except he used to have coughing fits but they put him on singular and that has helped him ever since. When Qwill was little He had Pneumonia 4 times, bronchitis, RSV, and H1N1 as well. Every time he gets sick his asthma acts up though and has to have nebs PRN. I have been thankful that this past winter he didn't get hard sick except once with strep throat. I used to have to worry about every winter he would get sick bad.
April 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi Krystal..

My son was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of 9 months old, but his problems started at 4 months old.. At 4 months old he was hospitalized for bronchiolitis (RSV negative). He had constant coughing that never went away.. Found a Ped that specialized in allergic kids and she put him on Flovent inhalor and that did wonders. My son has had 4 asthma attacks since his diagnoses.. Just recently he had his first round of oral corticord steroids. He also had to get a special neb treatment at the Peds office to stop his asthma attack.. Regular Albuterol did not help..

We did allergy testing too.. Found out A.J's trigger was our Cat, she was causing his flare ups!! He is severely allergic to cat dander.. Our ENT said it's rare to see a toddler at his age (14 months old at the time) with severe allergies to cat dander.My son also is moderately allergic to dogs and has food allergies.

Hopefully when you get your allergy test back you'll find what might be triggering his asthma..

Another thing to remember he is in daycare.. So his constantly exposed to germs.. My son has been sick as well and he goes to daycare (I work full time).. Constant colds and the horrible Hand foot and mouth.. But one thing he's never had (knock on wood) was Croup.. Thankfully!! One perk is our kids should have super immune systems when they get older..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 17th, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
April 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Welcome to the board .

My son was diagnosed at three. He had been fighting bronchitis from the age of 6 months multiple times a year. They only heard his lungs when he was sick so they missed it before. His is a real mild case and only flares up when he gets sick. It causes his colds to "stick around". That is how I look at it. Neb treatments always help and we take singular once a day. Sorry the dr won't diagnosis him until 5. I have heard of that. As long as they are doing the treatments to help him, it shouldn't be a huge deal of the official diagnosis. Although having a neb at home has been great.
Check around the board, ask questions and jump in.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Hi and welcome. I suspected ds frederick had asthma when we moved from tx to new mexico then to Kentucky. He has severe allergies. Hes been on zyrtec, flonase, and singulair since 09. Hes year round.

Cold weather causes flair-ups with his asthma. He was recently diagnosed with it. His pediatrician suspected it, but it wasnt until he got into an actual asthma attack (besides coughing) that his allergist diagnosed him.

Frederick does pulmicort daily and albuterol when he coughs and wheezes. I did notice that since he started pulmicort/nebulizer the dark circles under his eyes are gone.

I curious though- how come you are waiting for the results? Did they do a rast test instead of the needles and back pricks?

April 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
We're waiting for the results because Nathan had blood drawn and sent to the nearest children's hospital (which is over 4 hours away) for allergy testing. The results can take anywhere from 1-3 months to get back (welcome to living in Canada where Health care is free but slow!)

Our pedi was leaning towards asthma. Nathan was sick and we were given another round of pulmicort and albuterol. Two weeks later when we went back, Nathan was healthy and the pedi said that if it was asthma, Nathan would probably have continued to need the meds but because he seemed fine, he ruled out asthma.

Yet, Nathan continues to get sick every two weeks at least. We started doing the neb machine on our own since we have medication left and it has helped. So, I'm wondering if it could be asthma since it only ever goes away for a short while?

My Chart
April 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Glad the neb is helping. I would think not being sick wouldn't rule out asthma but I could be wrong. Did he listen to his lungs? Had he had a neb treatment before going in?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
The doctor always listens to his lungs and says they're clear. The most we ever get is the diagnosis of croup based on Nathan's cough. When I go to the doctor I always try to make sure Nathan didn't recently have the neb and the doctor always asks when the last treatment was...

My Chart
April 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
He could still have it. Danny's allergy/asthma doc won't diagnose until 5 because they don't just base the diagnosis on symptoms. They will do a pulmonary function test to avoid insurance issues later on in the case of self-employment or anything. Having "childhood" asthma is so common..at least where we live, the number one city in the country for allergy and asthma problems, that he waits to confirm asthma with a PFT to avoid the "asthma" label. They still treat asthma symptoms though. Danny is on a hefty dose of advair which is finally the thing that helped. Anytime he is sick he quickly winds up on Xopenex every 2-3 hours and pulmicort every 8 hours in addition to the steroids in the advair and often has to have oropred on top of all that. He used to have this nagging, constant cough that would occasionally turn in to coughing fits so bad that he would actually throw up. It was a dry, innocent sounding cough...much like a spasmic cough after you have been sick....but it never went away...ever. Finally after constant neb treatments and 5 rounds of oral steroids we started advair and he has only had one round of oral steroids and ned treatments since. He has also had a few sporadic neb treatments for flares but not more than 1 day with Xop every 4 hours.

Anyway, so yes, some will wait until age 5, and he can have it without typical asthma attacks and without being constantly sick and wheezy.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
He used to have this nagging, constant cough that would occasionally turn in to coughing fits so bad that he would actually throw up. It was a dry, innocent sounding cough...much like a spasmic cough after you have been sick....but it never went away...ever.
This is Nathan.. he often coughs during the night and it often leads to vomiting. He used to throw up food he had eaten during the day but the last few vomits have been more like phlegm. His coughs always sound wet though and not dry like I've been reading an asthmatics cough usually is.

Nathan's nighttime cough does go away (usually after a week's worth of pulmicort in him) and stays away for a bit (up to two or three weeks) but then it's like he gets sick again and the cough is back again.

Our family doctor says Nathan's cough is due to post-nasal drip which he does get when he's sick. He had a 3 ear infections since the Fall which our family doctor also blames for the cough.

Our pedi was more ready to treat for asthma but Dh didn't feel comfortable with it since our family doctor says no.

We're in the process of looking for a 3rd opinion..

My Chart
April 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
If it is a wet sounding cough I would lean more toward the post nasal drip also especially since he vomits phlegm. Danny hardly ever has an actual runny nose because his is so swollen with allergies that everything drains down his throat. There is definitely a difference between the asthma cough and the "drainage cough" as we call it. Does he get worse certain times of the year or is it always bad. That could at least narrow down the types of allergies to look into. Can you have him take zyrtec or claritin until you get the results back in to see if it helps with the drainage? Did the family doc or ped say anything about "an allergic nose"? With the wet cough it really does sound like a drainage issue but since he gets better for 2-3 weeks with the pulm he definitely needs something to keep the drainage down. It sounds like the mucous may be building up in his airway and causing the coughing/vomitting fits. 1-3 months is a long time to get results. ((((HUGS)))) In the meantime try to see if there is a way to get a pollon count, mold count, and if you have pets or visit someone often that has pets try keeping your DS away from those as much as you can. Try getting allergy covers for his pillow and mattress and wash his sheets every week in water that is as hot as your washer will do.

I hope you can get him some relief soon.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search