Allergic reaction

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Frederick got an allergy shot in each arm and i noticed when i went to take his shirt off for a bath that his whole upper arm muscle, part of the right side on his neck, and the right side of his shoulderblade/chest had heat coming off it, is hot to the touch, and very red with a couple spots. His arm muscle swelled up.

i gave him benadryl. Anything else i can do?

April 19th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
aww.. Poor little guy..

I would contact the doctor.. Just to rule out an infection, like cellulitis..

April 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would also get the ingredient list for the shot. If it was a vax find out what it was grown in. If it is grown in eggs or beef albumin those should be tested or avoided to prevent reactions later. If they were antibiotic injections he needs to steer clear of those from now on. I would definitely call the ped as they will likely want to see him since his neck is involved...
\

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It was an allergy shot. i did call and they said keep giving benadryl and that if it gets worse use the epi pen and take him to the er.

April 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
o.O How old is he??? My allergist won't do allergy shots until at least 5 years old. I didn't know anyone would do them younger than 5. Can they lower the concentration so he doesn't react so badly? Did he get better or did you have to do the Epi? I hope he cleared up quickly...

April 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
That is terrible. I hope he is feeling better now. I would be concerned that he had such a bad reaction and want to have it documented for furture reference.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
o.O How old is he??? My allergist won't do allergy shots until at least 5 years old. I didn't know anyone would do them younger than 5. Can they lower the concentration so he doesn't react so badly? Did he get better or did you have to do the Epi? I hope he cleared up quickly...
He's 3. He turned 3 jan 7. Yes they do allergy shots younger then 5. I dont know how common that is though. We've done singulair, zyrtec, and flonase since 09. They didnt control his allergies at all and he always had URI's, ear infections, coughing, and wheezing.

He even had his adenoids removed and it didnt help.

And the reaction calmed down- thankfully. I also gave him a treatment of albuterol since he was breathing harsher.

April 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Glad the reaction is calming down. I hope the shots help.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Me too. Do they have him on flovent or advair or anything? That is the only thing that finally helped Danny. Are they able to lower the concentration to prevent a reaction that bad again?

April 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Me too. Do they have him on flovent or advair or anything? That is the only thing that finally helped Danny. Are they able to lower the concentration to prevent a reaction that bad again?
They restarted him on the lowest dose and not yet. We have a follow up asthma/allergy appointment tuesday. I hope they get the allergies under control.

hes got a runny nose again with green coming out again.

Hes also done a wheezing/whistling sound last night and had to get albuterol again.

April 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely ask about flovent or advair to see if you can at least try it. :/ I would also ask them if it is okay to continue the allergy shots if they can't dilute it further or mix one specifically for him at a lower concentration. The reactions take quite a while to get less severe and if he needs benadryl each time he has allergy shots it won't do any good...

April 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would definitely ask about flovent or advair to see if you can at least try it. :/ I would also ask them if it is okay to continue the allergy shots if they can't dilute it further or mix one specifically for him at a lower concentration. The reactions take quite a while to get less severe and if he needs benadryl each time he has allergy shots it won't do any good...
I will today. He has a follow up for the asthma/allergist dr today. It's the same dr that put him on the nebulizer.

April 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How did it go? Do you have another plan of action or are you supposed to try the shots still? Did he say anything about a preventative med?

April 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How did it go? Do you have another plan of action or are you supposed to try the shots still? Did he say anything about a preventative med?
We're supposed to try the shots still. For another 4 months. Frederick has now also been diagnosed with reflux in addition to asthma and allergies.

He's got this big congestion going on in his nose and sinus's right now. He's completely plugged up and can't breath through his nose. When he tried for the dr he ended up coughing a bunch and wheezing some.

He's now on children's mucinex d stuffy nose and cold, plus pulmicort 2x a day now, in addition to zyrtec, singulair, and flonase. The dr is also talking of putting him on a stronger nose spray. I can't remember the name of it but their checking to see if tricare will cover it.

Plus he has to have an air purifier in his room. I was also told we have to move to a carpet free place and absolutely no pets. That until we move, he won't get better.

I want to move but it takes $$$$$$ and a job.

April 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Does your new apartment have carpet too?

May 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Does your new apartment have carpet too?
It has a little bit of carpet but a good percentage is carpet free. Plus there's been no pets. The carpet that's in there is also brand new.

May 1st, 2011, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Brand new carpet will actually be worse on his allergies as it is producing more fuzz and such. Could you get one of those plastic car type mats to put over the carpet to help his allergies more once you move?

May 1st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Brand new carpet will actually be worse on his allergies as it is producing more fuzz and such. Could you get one of those plastic car type mats to put over the carpet to help his allergies more once you move?
I can try but it depends on the money situation. I know you can't put an amount down on health but he and I are just strapped big time because of a car payment and no c/s yet (even though garnishment has happened) nor a job.

May 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
why aren't they paying you if they have already garnished his wages? I know we had a 2 week waiting period because they hold the first check here but are they just not paying you at all?

May 3rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
why aren't they paying you if they have already garnished his wages? I know we had a 2 week waiting period because they hold the first check here but are they just not paying you at all?
I don't know. Maybe because it's an interstate case? All I know is that he's claiming the garnishment started. But Ky doesn't show them getting any c/s yet.

It has to go through Fl first then hit Ky.

He owes us 1,136 a month.. and we haven't seen a dime.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search