Sick?

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2011, 07:58 PM
KrystalB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Before your LO was diagnosed with asthma.. was he/she sick quite often? (As in.. had symptoms that appeared to be a cold virus... but more like a cold that only ever went away for a few days and then returned?)

My Chart
April 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Yes Jeremy would get colds that wouldn't go away, would settle in his chest and turn into broncitus. It was three years of 4-5 colds/broncitus every winter. Summers were never a problem.

Sorry for the delay I had a busy day yesterday .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny was ALWAYS sick. He was on breathing treatments for 6 months straight trying to get over croup and secondary, tertiary, and quaternary infections that he got from the croup not getting better. Eventually we saw an allergist and he was put on a few medications that helped lessen the need for breathing treatments. He stayed sick pretty regularly until this past February (I think it was Feb) when we started Advair. Since then he has had the flu and several bacterial infections but the breathing issues have gotten much better.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 28th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm curious - what sort of tests were done to determine the other illnesses?

Our doctor seriously hasn't done any testing at all. He keeps saying Nathan's lungs are clear and breathing treatments aren't needed. Pedi says to give breathing treatments as needed (which we do.. and they help! He was on them for a week. Went off and three days later.. sick again!) Only our pedi has done some... allergy testing, blood work once.

Croup has only been determined by hearing the cough.

My Chart
April 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Croup should be determined by doing running a virology test on phlegm. Croup is usually caused by a parainfluenza virus. It isn't just a sound. He may have reactive airway disease which is basically baby asthma or asthma like illnesses that are triggered by frequent illnesses. I would see if you could get in to an actual allergy or asthma doctor...

April 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For viruses the would either take blood or swab to check for known bacteria and if he wasn't starting to get better after 10 days or was getting worse after 5 days they started him on antibiotics. Now if he goes in with symptoms other than a typical virus...basically anything other than a cold or stomach bug...he gets high dose antibiotics because his immune system doesn't work right. He got croup when he was 2 months old but it was so bad the doc thought RSV had started early that year until the tests came back with parainfluenza (croup). That is when he started the breathing treatments for 6 months straight...literally no breaks. He will be 4 in July and he just got put on advair the beginning of this year and he has seen an allergy/asthma doctor since he was 11 months old. It is a long road before they start heavier meds and unless he has significant problems (low pulse ox, bluish fingers, toes or lips, or retracting ribs when he breathes, they won't want him on constant neb treatments. I would take him off the neb treatments and document in a journal several times a day what he looks like, sounds like, how much he is playing, etc. I would keep that for at least 2 weeks or until he is having a noticeably hard time breathing and then take him in so the ped can see what he is doing. We give Danny neb treatments anytime he starts getting sick and he will wheeze the day and night before we get in but by the time we are there (usually afternoon aka his best time of day) he isn't wheezing. The doc knows that I know what I am talking about so he goes ahead and lets us know what to do based on what I tell him. You can also try putting your ear to his chest and back (where the doc puts the stethoscope) and listen to his lungs rather than his actual windpipe. If he sounds wheezy it may just be the stuff in his throat...and it can even cause his chest to rumble if he is small.

April 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
You know.. I've never heard of an allergy/asthma doctor around here. Next time we're at our docs (which will be soon I'm sure.. we've been there three times this month!) I'm going to ask to be referred.

I'm surprised that you have to test for croup. Never once has Nathan been tested for it and he's been diagnosed with it a bunch of times! I've been reading up on reactive airway disease and it does seem to describe Nathan pretty well.

He's never really had the bluish color or retracting of ribs and his oxygen levels haven't been tested.

Last night, though, Nathan took a coughing fit around midnight. I try to get him go for awhile (he tends to sleep through it) but at 12:30 I woke him up for a dose on the neb. When he fell back to sleep he slept so much better!

My Chart
April 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I live in the #1 city for allergies in the country so here they are around the corner...literally..if you just want to see anyone. Ours is 30 minutes away but he sees me and Danny (mine is just for HORRIBLE allergies). I remember someone on the allergy forum had to drive 8 hours though... :/ You can always ask to be referred to an ENT or Pulmonologist as they are more common everywhere. I would start with a pulmonologist if they will refer you but if not you can try for the ENT to try and get the drainage under control.

April 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Sorry you had to get him up in the middle of the night for a neb treatment. But I am glad it helped him sleep better. My ped has never run any blood work or referred us but the treatments she has us to work so I don't ask for it if that makes sense. I hope you can get the referral and get Nathan some help. Let us know.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to add...they tested for croup initially to rule out flu and RSV I think. I wasn't all that much into asking questions at that point. He has had that test several more times to rule out or confirm the flu though. It is really common here.

ETA: Since we have seen the allergy/asthma doc we haven't had the test done to confirm croup. He listens, looks, and decides. He only does it to rule out other things.

April 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Nathan's only been tested once for RSV.. and that was by an ER doc. Our family doc once said "it could be RSV.. or not.." and that was the end of it!

My Chart
April 30th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
wow...RSV is not taken lightly around here...especially with little ones with breathing issues anyway...

April 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalB View Post
Before your LO was diagnosed with asthma.. was he/she sick quite often? (As in.. had symptoms that appeared to be a cold virus... but more like a cold that only ever went away for a few days and then returned?)
Yes. Frederick had a lot of URI's that went to his chest and a cough that wouldn't go away. Now we know that, that cough was the asthma cough.

He also had dark circles under his eyes too. Was short of breath a lot too. We live in the ohio river valley- so we live in a very bad place for allergies unfortunately.

May 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 14th, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search