New here with a question

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
My one year old son Grant was tentatively diagnosed with asthma last Thursday. He was having daily nighttime coughing fits. He started Flovent twice a day, Xopenex every 4-6 hours, and Zyrtec at night (for allergies). My question is, how long before starting treatments did your LO show signs of improvement? Grant's allergies are better (although he is suuuper cranky) but we haven't really seen any sign of improvement yet with his coughing fits. I have a zillion people telling me that it isn't asthma, so his lack of response is making me nervous. It's not that I want him to have asthma, it's that I want him to be better like, immediately, so going through more potential diagnoses (we're already on our second) is time I don't want to spend waiting. I want my baby to feel better now.

Does it take time sometimes? Or does this mean that something else is wrong. We see the doctor Thursday, but I thought maybe you guys might have some insight.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Do they think the nighttime coughing fits are allergy induced asthma symptoms? Jeremy has albuteral in a nebulizer for when he has flare ups and those can take 4 days or so to really start seeing improvement. For us it really depends on how long he was sick before we started treatment. If I wait for the coughing and runny nose it takes longer than if I start at the first sign of trouble. So if Grant has been sick for a bit it could take a bit to work all that "stuff" out of his lungs and help his breathing. My guess is that he has stuff in his lungs so when he lays down it acts up. A lot of doctors won't diagnos Asthma until 3 or even 5 because they say it can't be. However Jeremy had it from 6 months on and didn't get diagnosed until 3. So every winter we were at the dr with broncitus and it was miserable. Now that he is on singular once a day and inhaler/neb treatments when the symptoms prevent we have been antibiotic free for almost 2 years. It has made a huge difference. I know its not fun to have a sick baby. I am so sorry that Grant is going through this. I hope that he starts feeling better soon. Let us know how it goes on Thursday.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
When our doctor put Danny on Advair he said to give it 2 weeks. If he was no better by the 2 week mark we were to come back. If he got worse we were to come back sooner. If he has you coming back a week from the appt I would say that he is trying various meds to try to find one that works for him. It took us forever to find something that worked. Advair isn't the best medicine for long term use by any means but it has been the only thing to keep Danny's breathing issues and coughing fits under control. If the doc is suspecting asthma I would try a few different kinds of meds before ruling it out. You can always ask for a pulmonology referral if this doesn't help. (((HUGS))) The waiting times are the hardest to deal with...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
According to current diagnostic criteria, the diagnosis of asthma can't be made in children under two. However, our doctor says that if it looks like asthma, and sounds like asthma, you treat it like asthma. Grant also has allergies which are just compounding the problem. He has SO much crap in his lungs, we can hear it during his random daytime coughs. he has been sick for AT LEAST 12 weeks, because it was coughing, and he had a runny nose from the allergies, we thought he kept getting colds.

A few hours after this Grant actually got sick (a fever, probably a virus, nothing to worry about) but since I had the on call doc on the phone already, I asked her the same question. She said that yes, it can take time to work, so not to listen to the people who are freaking me out.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Jeremy spent most of the winters from 6 months to 3 years runny nose, coughing and sick with a "cold". It would settle in his lungs and it takes time to get that gunk out. Glad you asked your doctor. KUP.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello..

My son was diagnosed with Asthma at 9 months old but his symptoms started at 4 months old.

My son was stated on Flovent at 9 months old and he showed improvement after two weeks.. Flovent is a long term asthma prevention and it takes time for it to take effect.. We do have Albuterol nebulizer treatment for fasting acting relief..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; May 26th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search