Xopenex questions

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Frederick has an appointment this afternoon with his asthma dr. I was talking to my mom and she said, a friend of hers, Sarah, had suggested asking Dr. Feger (asthma/allergist) about switching Frederick to Xopenex.

She said that, it helped her daughter, when she was just like little man; constant coughing, all the URI's, etc. That it kept her from being as out of breath/coughing/wheezing.

What do you all think? Have you heard of it?

June 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I have no experience with it so I can't help much. But it can't hurt to ask about it. I would do some research online before you go so you know what the side effects are and such and if he is the right age for the meds. Then ask the dr if it could help. I hope the appointment goes well. KUP.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

June 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
We use pulmicort with Xopenex. Pulmicort and Xopenex are two different medicines that target different problems. Danny needs both to get over anything respiratory. He takes Xopenex starting at every 4 hours and has gotten as often as every 2 hours with a few back to back treatments to stop severe fits. It can be used much more often and WITH the Pulmicort. You don't have to switch and only use one or the other. We typically will wind up with it every 3 hours for 1-2 weeks now when he gets sick. Before he started Advair he did Pulmicort every 8 hours and Xopenex every 2-3 hours for 4 months straight and he still had 4 rounds or oral steroids within the last two months alone. I really think the Xopenex would help him. It is like Albuterol but with less side-effects.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
We use pulmicort with Xopenex. Pulmicort and Xopenex are two different medicines that target different problems. Danny needs both to get over anything respiratory. He takes Xopenex starting at every 4 hours and has gotten as often as every 2 hours with a few back to back treatments to stop severe fits. It can be used much more often and WITH the Pulmicort. You don't have to switch and only use one or the other. We typically will wind up with it every 3 hours for 1-2 weeks now when he gets sick. Before he started Advair he did Pulmicort every 8 hours and Xopenex every 2-3 hours for 4 months straight and he still had 4 rounds or oral steroids within the last two months alone. I really think the Xopenex would help him. It is like Albuterol but with less side-effects.
I wish he would have let us try Xopenex. Is there differences in them between Albuterol and Xopenex?

Is there something different if this upped dosage of pulmicort doesn't work?

How did you get the doctor to try Advair? Can you use that with nebulizer?

June 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The advair was the allergy asthma doc's idea because Danny's was so out of control even with everything they could throw at it. Like I said... Pulmicort .5 every 8 hours, Xopenex 1.25 every 2-3 hours for 4 months straight...round the clock, and in the last 2 months he still had to have 4 rounds of oral steroids. We were pulling at straws by that time. He is also on Singulair. The Advair has to be the Advair HFA and it is used with an Aerochamber like this for younger kids...

http://www.uspco.com/watchhaler/

That is the one we use but you can also get this one...

Anti-Static Valved Holding Chamber | AeroChamber Plus® Flow-Vu® (aVHC)

It doesn't work with a neb but you puff the inhaler into the chamber then the child takes 6 full breaths to get the medicine into their lungs. It is not recommended for children under 12 or for long term use but we are having to do both to keep Danny's breathing under control. We still have to do intermittent breathing treatments for flares...they are his emergency inhaler basically. If he has an asthma attack we do Xop every 3 hours and Pulmicort every 12 for 24 hours. If he has a coughing fit or wheezing we do treatments as needed with no set time frame...

June 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And I'm thinking Frederick is going to have to go back in. I think it's time to talk to the dr about xopenex again and or possibly an inhaler to see if it helps him.

June 12th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like it...Danny does pulmicort every 8 hours too... Maybe it is time to see a pulmonologist to make sure everything is working right...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search