Log In Sign Up

The Verdict is in- Update for Frederick


Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Well, the verdict is in. Dr. Feger said that it's definitely in infection plus Asthma flair up that Frederick has. He's now beginning to see what I told him happens. (The multi rounds of steroids/medicine and nothing works) He said the infection made his allergies/asthma worse.

He wants us to try one more thing before he tries him with Xopenex. He upped his pulmicort dosage first off. He changed it from .25 to .5mg which is the maximum dosage for children under 6. He does this 2x a day now instead of once.

Then he switched his albuterol that was pre-mixed solution to the one you have to mix. Instead of sterile saline solution though, we just mix it right into the pulmicort when he's doing both. The mix it solution is a lot stronger/more potent then the pre-mix. He's to do this every 3-4 hrs.

He also added an antibiotic to the mix to see if that helps him. He put him on omnicef. It's 1 tsp 1x a day for 10 days.

Plus we had to add in mucinex. He now also gets mucinex 1 tsp 1x a day in addition to his other allergy medicines.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 22,034
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I am glad your dr finally got to see what was going on. I hope these changes make a big difference and he starts feeling better soon. Please keep us posted on how the new dosages do for him.
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/


Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post
I am glad your dr finally got to see what was going on. I hope these changes make a big difference and he starts feeling better soon. Please keep us posted on how the new dosages do for him.
Me too. Thanks. Do you think I should see changes by Friday? I don't want to go into the weekend and we have to wait till next week to be seen again.

I don't know how long it takes for the pulmicort/albuterol to kick in and help him.. Any thoughts?
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
48 hours max for breathing treatments...3 days for the antibiotic to help. The allergy/asthma doc should be able to call anything you need into a pharmacy if you have a 24 hour one nearby. I really hope this starts to help him. He has had such a rough time. Is your allergy/asthma doc close enough that he can see Frederick for respiratory things from now on? Anytime Danny has anything respiratory (upper, lower, coughing, etc) he goes to the allergy/asthma doc. His ped just doesn't get it. Maybe that will keep him from getting so bad...
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
48 hours max for breathing treatments...3 days for the antibiotic to help. The allergy/asthma doc should be able to call anything you need into a pharmacy if you have a 24 hour one nearby. I really hope this starts to help him. He has had such a rough time. Is your allergy/asthma doc close enough that he can see Frederick for respiratory things from now on? Anytime Danny has anything respiratory (upper, lower, coughing, etc) he goes to the allergy/asthma doc. His ped just doesn't get it. Maybe that will keep him from getting so bad...
I figured out, that any Ped's that Frederick goes to, really doesn't have a clue when it comes to anything respiratory, allergy, or asthma related. We have several 24 hour walgreens that we can go to if we need to.

Frederick will definitely be going to his allergy/asthma doctor for all respiratory, colds, cough, allergy, etc. I really like our Allergy/Asthma doctor for him. We got a follow-up call from the place today and I told her what happened and how also the .25 for pulmicort was back-ordered and she talked to the Dr. ( I thought the doc would want Frederick back on the lower dose after he got well) Then she said, he wants Frederick on .5 until our check-up appointment in 4 months.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Our allergy asthma doc is awesome too. The receptionists know him by name and he gives them hugs and kisses when we get there and leave. A few years ago I dyed my hair back to my natural color and even though I had it in a ponytail they noticed that I dyed my hair....it was only like 2 shades different!!! I have 100% faith in his allergy asthma doc but it is getting to the point that he is the only one I trust to take care of Danny. His Hematology/Oncology doc is on my hate list right now, his GI couldn't be lower on my like list, and his ped isn't far above them. >: ( I am so sick of docs right now...but that is a whole other story. Anyway...back to the point...anything breathing needs to be with an allergy/asthma doc for a child with asthma. We live in the #1 city in the country for allergies/asthma issues and the regular docs STILL don't know how to treat children with them... o.O
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 10th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Kentucky is number 2 for allergies because of the ohio river valley- which happens to be where we live.

I agree. With the upped pulmicort, different albuterol, and his antibiotic his coughing is almost gone! I'm so excited!

Wow! But he still sounds short of breath at times.

The mucinex is also helping him draining wise! He's been draining clear then yellow green stuff for a day now.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Does he know how to blow his nose yet? That has been a lifesaver for Danny... I am so glad he is doing better. It will take his lungs a while to recoup from all the coughing, inflamation, and gunk they have been subject to for so long so he will likely be short of breath with exertion. If he starts to struggle to get enough air or starts getting bluish fingertips, lips, or toes obviously go to the ER. Do you know how to listen for wheezing with your ear on his back? If you put your ear on his back where the doc would to listen to his lungs you should be able to hear breath sounds. If you can hear them and then all of a sudden it is silent somewhere...that isn't good. I would take Danny to the ER if that happened...that normally indicates pneumonia or at least a pocket of the lungs that is blocked off by mucous. If he is constantly short of breath check him with your ear... If it is only with even a little exertion then his lungs are likely just healing.
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,501
Send a message via AIM to mommy2lilman Send a message via Yahoo to mommy2lilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
Does he know how to blow his nose yet? That has been a lifesaver for Danny... I am so glad he is doing better. It will take his lungs a while to recoup from all the coughing, inflamation, and gunk they have been subject to for so long so he will likely be short of breath with exertion. If he starts to struggle to get enough air or starts getting bluish fingertips, lips, or toes obviously go to the ER. Do you know how to listen for wheezing with your ear on his back? If you put your ear on his back where the doc would to listen to his lungs you should be able to hear breath sounds. If you can hear them and then all of a sudden it is silent somewhere...that isn't good. I would take Danny to the ER if that happened...that normally indicates pneumonia or at least a pocket of the lungs that is blocked off by mucous. If he is constantly short of breath check him with your ear... If it is only with even a little exertion then his lungs are likely just healing.
And, the cough is back and deeper. I just don't know what to do. His coughing sounds like it's coming from deep in his chest/lungs. It's not a loose cough. It's a loud one but it's definitely not croup. It's not all the time like before, but he's still coughing quite a bit.

We've been doing all his medicines so I don't understand why this cough isn't just gone.
__________________



Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0