Last night...

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny had a flair up last night. He had started coughing yesterday morning but it wasn't quite enough for me to get concerned. I did notice that it was the "asthma cough" and let his teacher know to watch him more carefully and she said that the only time he had any sort of problem was at nap time. He coughed more than normal but not even enough to wake him up. I picked him up at 5 and when we got home the coughing had gone from once every few minutes to fits every couple of minutes...some of which lasted a few minutes...so we did a xopenex&pulmicort treatment. He was fine for about an hour and then he flared back up. I waited until 7:30 and called the on call. It wasn't Danny's doctor but he was the other good one so I was fine with that. It did take an hour to get a glitch in the phones straightened out and when they finally were able to page him it took an hour for him to call...so by this time it is like 9:30-10pm... It took Danny until then to fall asleep from the coughing even though he went to bed at 7:30. The doc said to go ahead and give him another xopenex then pulmicort and then continue the xopenex every 3 hours through the night. He did okay for the most part with that. He got up this morning and we did another combo treatment then he has another xopenex in about 10 minutes. The doc wanted him home from school today so I could keep a closer eye on him and give him all the treatments. He also told us to call back today and get a prescription for a rescue inhaler for school and one to stay with him everywhere else... Fun huh? At least the "look for a plug everywhere you go" thing is going to be over...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We got a rescue inhaler for DS for school and home. It really did help out. Sorry Danny is having flare ups. I really hope it is short lived and he starts feeling better soon. KUP on how he does and what the dr says.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have to go in later this morning. The doc that called in the inhalers said to only use them when he is out or at school and to continue the xopenex and pulmicort at home. We have been doing Xop every 3 and Pulm every 12 in addition to his advair and flonase and he is still having problems with the cough. Last night he literally coughed between 1 and 3 times every minute... I am taking him in this morning to get checked by the doc. His appointment is at 11:15 so hopefully I will be able to update by this afternoon... He always does this when he is sick but he has never done this on its own...

ETA...his rescue is Proair albuterol...I am guessing like a neb in a compact form? The pharmacist said it is only 1/2 the dose that he got in the neb but I am assuming that equals out with the amount of mist that he doesn't inhale...

August 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hopefully the dr can help him get better. Poor guy.

August 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We saw the PA and wouldn't you know he didn't cough at all while we were in the exam room. We walk from the office to the waiting room and he started coughing again. She gave him an antibiotic for a suspected sinus infection and gave us oropred to put on hold. She acted like she didn't really believe me... I was really irritated. The doctor we normally see was booked but he knows that I know what I am talking about and he knows how bad Danny can get... Last night was terrible... He was having coughing fits every 30 minutes that would last for about 5 minutes. After about the first minute he would be inhaling really weird between coughs. His breaths were choppy and gaspy. An inhale would be 5 or 6 gaspy inhales with choking sounds in between them. We called the on call which was the same person we saw in the office... and she said to go ahead and start the oropred and that he was probably choking on phlegm. Can you tell me how he is choking on phlegm for 5 minutes when he has a dry, tight, airy cough? Never a wet cough... GRRRR!!! I just wanted to talk to our other doctor... We did start the oropred last night and he seems to be doing a bit better today. He has been worse at night lately and not as bad during the day but he still coughs during the day. He doesn't have the coughing fits most of the time though... I think we may get over the hump soon...

August 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Oh poor guy and stupid dr. I hate when they think we don't know our own kids . I hope you are over the hump soon and on the mend. Being sick is never fun. Especially in the summer time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search