Nebulizers and Aerochambers for my 13-month-old

Forum: Children With Asthma

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children With Asthma LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hi!

I'm new to the group, but was hoping someone may have some good advice. Our 13 month old daughter has had a few really bad bouts of baby asthma over the last few months. One, that even landed her in the hospital while we were away on vacation. Now, she's on both maintenance meds (Pulmicort or Flovent) and Xopenex/rescue inhaler (Albuterol).

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get your child to use a mask for the nebulizer? She refuses to use it. Our pediatric pulmonologist suggested that we try to use the aerochamber with the inhalers, however she goes absolutely crazy when we try to put it on her face. We've tried everything... we've put stickers on the aero chamber, pretended her teddy bear, my husband and I were using it, but she refuses to use it herself and screams uncontrollably. We literally, have to hold her down to give her the inhaler with the aero chamber. As for the nebulizer, because she won't use the mask, she doesn't get all of the medication. I spoke to our pediatrician today and she said that using the "T piece" on the nebulizer is probably our best bet Until she gets a little older.

If anyone has any suggestions about administering medicine, be it with the nebulizer or inhaler, I would greatly appreciate it. Talia really is a great kid; I'm just trying to make sure that she gets the medicine as best as she can.

Our next problem beyond administering the medicine, is having day care give her the medicine.… It should be very interesting.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!!
November 18th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran
My 10 month old son cries everytime I put the mask in him as well. Though one time I sung nursery rhymes and boy he didnt cry. LOL. He was just listening to me and let me finish the whole thing to him. It's not a good idea, but when we were in his pedia, the nurse assistant took off the mask and let the chamber put forward on to his nose so he could still breathe the smoke in. It's better than never get him to be nebulized at all.
November 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
When my son was younger, we just pinned him down and had a good seal.. He would cry at first but then he got use to it. He was fine with it when he was 4 months old, around 1-2 years old he fought it alot.. Between 2 1/2 and now age 3 he is fine with it.. Luckily we rarely use it anymore since we did our DAN! intervention.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search