Handling criticism about breastfeeding

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I'm sure many of us have had it from time to time. This is very important to me so I'm making it a sticky. If you have tips or comments on how to help other breastfeeding mamas with criticism, by all means post it.

Handling criticism about breastfeeding <--- Click here!

Justmommies article <--- Click here!

LLL help with criticism

Quote:
The research is still evolving, however, and Stuebe is not sure we have found all of the reasons breastfeeding should be a no-brainer health choice when it is an option. "I think there are going to be many answers," she says. "It's like saying, 'How does exercising improve health?' It's the physiological norm."
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); May 9th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
September 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats a great link!
Ive dealt alot with my In-Laws mostly giving me their less-than-educated opinion of bfing from day one. My DF supports me wholeheartedly in bfing, so that makes it easier to deal with them. My response is usually "Well things have changed tremendously since 20 years ago when you had kids, and this is the best thing for him. Not to be disrespectful, but being that he is our son, we are the ones to decide whats right for him." Smile, and thats it. They dont like it, but they dont have to.

Jessica-mommy to Joshua 9.22.2007
October 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
AmyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to AmyD Send a message via Yahoo to AmyD
Others: How long are you going to nurse him/her???
Me: Well, I figure he/she HAS to stop when they go to college.
Others: silence (aaah.)

Great article! Thank you!

January 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the articles!
I'm 19, so because I breastfeed I barely ever go anywhere without Izzie, and havn't had my first 'legal' drink since i've been preg/bfing for so long, so some of my friends are always tell me I should stop breastfeeding her then I can go out or drink. Not that easy and I'm happy being a mum not out partying! I don't mind feeding at all now we're down to 3-4 feeds a day.Other then the fact I get teethmarks even though she's not biting me, ouch!
and people are always like.. Isn't it creepy feeding her when she is running around and has teeth and can say a few words .

January 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Thanks for the articles!
I'm 19, so because I breastfeed I barely ever go anywhere without Izzie, and havn't had my first 'legal' drink since i've been preg/bfing for so long, so some of my friends are always tell me I should stop breastfeeding her then I can go out or drink. Not that easy and I'm happy being a mum not out partying! I don't mind feeding at all now we're down to 3-4 feeds a day.Other then the fact I get teethmarks even though she's not biting me, ouch!
and people are always like.. Isn't it creepy feeding her when she is running around and has teeth and can say a few words .
[/b]

I'm sorry your friends don't understand. Hon, why not join a LLL or breastfeeding support group in your area? You might make some new contacts that can better support you. WTG for being a mature, responsible teen mom!

Cheers,

Michelle
May 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
LLL help with criticism
May 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
These are a great help! We're just about to turn the 1 year corner, so I have been needing these!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
May 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsliberty View Post
These are a great help! We're just about to turn the 1 year corner, so I have been needing these!
That's great to hear! I can't wait to celebrate your one year milestones with you! I hope you like it here and come by often.

Cheers,

Michelle
April 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
The Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog: Book review and give away: Breastfeeding Facts for Fathers
April 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Awesome!
April 27th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
Everyone around me is really supportive but my MIL, during a trip back home recently noticed I was nursing him and said... "you are still nursing him?" and I said.... yep. That was that.

Great links!
May 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
The research is still evolving, however, and Stuebe is not sure we have found all of the reasons breastfeeding should be a no-brainer health choice when it is an option. "I think there are going to be many answers," she says. "It's like saying, 'How does exercising improve health?' It's the physiological norm."
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American
May 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
the mothering link did not work!

My answer when I just do not want to deal is

Them: "when will you stop nursing?"
Me: "I plan on nursing her FOREVER"

May 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
the mothering link did not work!
Thanks for the heads up. I took it out.
December 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
foxfire_ga79
I've had a couple people question why I'm still nursing Ivy "even though she's 1" now.
My answer is "the World Health Organization recommends BFing until the baby is 2 and since they are the experts it's their advice I'm going to follow." That has ended the conversation every single time, including with my psychiatrist who wanted me to wean so I could be put back on my regular medications. When someone questions me, I answer in a way that doesn't leave any room for argument. My decision is made and they won't get anywhere trying to get me to change my mind.
February 19th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran
I've read some comments in another forum that they found BFing disgusting. Well, I guess there will always be people who wouldn't understand. Regardless of that, I'm proud to be a mom and I don't care what other people will say about public BFing or BFing in general.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search