Is this normal?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Hello all. I am not a regular poster here, but am a regular lurker. I have a question and just had to ask you experts.

I stopped nursing my DS a month ago when he was 19 months old. The ENTIRE time I breastfed, my breasts were very sore to the touch...especially on the underside...and they still are. I found a couple lumps in my left one so today I went to my GYN to have them checked out and ask about the pain I've been having. She said the lumps were just fibrous cysts (normal) and that pain was/is from breastfeeding. She said it should subside within the next few months. I explained that the pain is severe enough that my 7 pound kitten was standing with her front paws on me the other day and it hurt so bad I almost threw her across the room. I didn't, of course, but you get the picture.

So, before I go off to another doc to get a second opinion, I had to ask if anyone else is experiencing a lot of pain from breastfeeding. FWIW, I have large breasts (DDD). Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it. Thanks for your opinions.
September 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That doesn't sound very common to me. My nipples tend to get tender but my breasts themselves never cause me pain unless I'm engorged. Since your ds weaned a month ago I doubt you're engorged and I find it a little odd that the entire time you nursed him it was painful.

I'd definitely get that second opinion and if you're not satisfied with that, go for a third, etc.

I hope you feel better soon! <<HUGS>>

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

September 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
I've never had pain either.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
September 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Hey~ we spoke a bit already about this and I know you're scared too. You've been in my thoughts and prayers too. I hadn't read this until now..

Quote:
Hello all. I am not a regular poster here, but am a regular lurker. I have a question and just had to ask you experts.

I stopped nursing my DS a month ago when he was 19 months old. The ENTIRE time I breastfed, my breasts were very sore to the touch...especially on the underside...and they still are. I found a couple lumps in my left one so today I went to my GYN to have them checked out and ask about the pain I've been having. She said the lumps were just fibrous cysts (normal) and that pain was/is from breastfeeding. She said it should subside within the next few months. I explained that the pain is severe enough that my 7 pound kitten was standing with her front paws on me the other day and it hurt so bad I almost threw her across the room. I didn't, of course, but you get the picture.

So, before I go off to another doc to get a second opinion, I had to ask if anyone else is experiencing a lot of pain from breastfeeding. FWIW, I have large breasts (DDD). Don't know if that makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it. Thanks for your opinions.[/b]
Hon... I know GYN's are supposed to understand women's reproductive bodies but after my birth experience I really don't think the average one understands what is normal. (I honestly think all that schooling taught them how to surgically remove babies from moms ~ that's it. No training on b/f, natural childbirth, PPD ~ you know, NORMAL women's stuff!) I don't think she knows what she is talking about ~ pain from b/f. (Why midwivery isn't manatory in OB/GYN school is beyond me.)

I would start by getting myself armed. I would trust a LC before a GYN so I would search for a local LC I trust. I would have LLL on speed dail and start getting involved in that group so when you need them, you know who to ask. Also, there are a few great doctors out there that actually go beyond their scope of training in school and learn about women. Mothersrisk is a great organization that supports breastfeeding moms. If at any point you get told this or that by a doctor, I would verify it at Mothersrisk's number (416) 813-6780 because they know which drugs will are ok for breastfeeding moms as well as a host of other things.

I feel really powerless to help you because even though I b/f, I just don't have any experience in this. I'm sure you know best and I was wondering if you thought this was at all related to mastitis &/or blocked ducts? (Link talking about pain, and homeopathic solutions.) I did some searching on kellymom and found an article on Breastfeeding and breast abscess. IDK if it aplies but maybe it's something to help you overall? (If nothing else to help inspire you.)

Obviously I'm worried about you but this new element (of trying to help you through b/f) is something I'm going to continue searching for answers on.

I know you know I can't be around too much but I'm here for you if you need.

Luv ya babe!
September 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I have considered blocked ducts and mastitis. Actually, that's what I'm pretty sure it is now. I'm going to seek out a lactation consultant and talk to them.
September 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Lilah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have considered blocked ducts and mastitis. Actually, that's what I'm pretty sure it is now. I'm going to seek out a lactation consultant and talk to them.[/b]

I still get blocked ducts and the pain and bumps certainly sound alot like what you are describing. I used to get them CONSTANTLY up til Liliana was about a year old. Luckily now it is only about once a month. I would assume with larger breasts though that maybe you can be more prone to them? I am still very careful about not wearing wire bras and not sleeping on my breasts. I hope an LC can help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search