Ext'd bfing benefits, Nutrition, Nursing while preg & tandum info

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Click on the following links (even if they are purple

Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet

Extend Breastfeeding's Benefits

One more website. <--- I don't love this one but it adds to help give more information about "extended" nursing benefits.

How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American <---- April 30, 2010

Prolonged Breastfeeding May Protect Against Childhood Leukemia

Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy - The Benefits of Nursing your Toddler

Breastfeeding Cuts Moms' Heart Risk

Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

Breastfeeding for the Long Haul: Into the Toddler Years - Baby - Families.com

5 Cultural Myths About Starting Solids - Baby - Families.com

Help! My Baby Hates Solid Foods! - Baby - Families.com

Breastfeeding beyond the first year

Justmommies article by Jack Newman. MD Breastfeeding a toddler?

Book recommendation: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback) by Norma Jane Bumgarner (Author)

Book recommendation: My Child Won't Eat! How to Prevent and Solve the Problem (La Leche League International Book) by Carlos González

(Are we getting enough vitamins?)Are we getting enough vitamins?

In communities with a high prevalence of malnutrition breast feeding may substantially enhance child survival up to 3 years of age. Breast feeding, nutritional state, and child survival in rural Bangladesh.

Ignorance meets Knowledge ~ full term breastfeeding Youtube video!

Nursing by Numbers: How Breastfeeding Boosts the National Economy

What is Body Wisdom? It's the permission to either wean or nurse you need to give yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Tandem

The book, Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond.
Nursing During Pregnancy and Tandem Nursing: The Official FAQ
Nursing During Pregnancy & Tandem Nursing
Is breastfeeding safe during pregnancy?
Milk Changes
Does my newborn always need to nurse first?

Breastfeeding did not cause my miscarriage. (Breastfeeding didn't cause my miscarriage)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Sore nipples? Teething? Let's start by some old basics Why are my nipples sore after months of pain-free nursing? and when babies bite. <--- You might want to check over over everything but scroll down to Not really biting, but scraping teeth or indentations because those are some good ideas for sure! Uncomfortable latch has some good ideas for repositioning our overzealous toddlers. Also, I read Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs? to help me put things into persceptive. (Trust me, from time to time, even the most loving and dedicated moms need reassurance.) If nothing in those threads help in anyway, scroll through here to see if anything grabs at you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggested reading:

*Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives by Katherine Dettwyler, Patricia Stuart-Macadam

*Fit to Bust by Alison Blenkinsop. (Proceeds from each book go to support Baby Milk Action).

*The Politics of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer

*Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding by M.D., Naomi Baumslag and Dia L. Michels

*Breastfeeding with Comfort and Joy: A Photographic Guide for Mom and Those Who Help Her by Laura Keegan Lifeforce Family Health Care - Laura Keegan RN, FNP

*Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding by Jack Newman, Teresa Pitmam

*Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts by Fiona Giles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

From this site a PDF presentation: The Natural age of Weaning

The author of that site has a book that is all about parenting but it's just some of the best breastfeeding information I've come across. It's called Baby Matters and is by Linda F. Palmer DC. Here's the book on-line. FREE! On the back of the book it says about Linda F. Palmer DC ~ she is a doctor of chiropractic, a consultant and speaker on pediatric nutrition and natural parenting challenges, a science writer, and a mother. She left her chiropractic practice shortly after the birth of her son, when she was confronted with his serious health complications and astounded by the lack of accurate or helpful information from doctors or books. For her son's sake, she delved deeply into the scientific and medical literature to find answers ~ which led to further questions and more astonishing realizations.

I highly recommend it and her website for nutritional information from introducing cow's milk, to breastfeeding.

A Natural Age of Weaning by Katherine Dettwyler, PhD

10 tips for easier night nursing
12 Alternatives for the All night nurser
Changing The Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed

Obviously weaning will happen to us all one day. This is a personal decision with you, your child and your nursing relationship as the factors. A free on-line book I came across is The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning By Kathleen Huggins, Linda Ziedrich, William Sears, Martha Sears that I think is a great read. Some resources for you, titled Breastfeeding <---- Scroll down to the part about weaning and one more here for weaning. When you're absolutely ready to wean, there is a Weaning board here on JM for you to graduate to.

I hope you find the information useful!

Cheers,

Michelle

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); May 8th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
January 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Breastfeeding in Public <-- adding it to our sticky!
January 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Night Weaning

10 TIPS FOR EASIER NIGHT NURSING
NIGHT WEANING: 12 ALTERNATIVES FOR THE ALL-NIGHT NURSER <-- I think this one a bit more because it focuses on developmental understanding based on age. (A baby compared to a two year old can understand it differently, right?)

MOM TIRED OF ALL NIGHT NURSING <-- Good quick read to help reassure mom about using dad in the nighttime routine.
January 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
HERE'S a great site!! The very most important thing to remember when comparing, though, is how completely human milk is used by humans. Much of what's in cow's milk/goat's milk is lost because even though it's there, it isn't easily used by the human body. [/b]
Adding it!
April 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Changed the title to: Ext'd bfing benefits, Nutrition, Nursing while preg & tandum info
April 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Adding: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...scarriage.html (Breastfeeding didn't cause my miscarriage)
April 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
What is Body Wisdom? It's the permission to either wean or nurse you need to give yourself.
August 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Suggested reading:

*Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives by Katherine Dettwyler, Patricia Stuart-Macadam *Fit to Bust by Alison Blenkinsop. (Proceeds from each book go to support Baby Milk Action).

*The Politics of Breastfeeding by Gabrielle Palmer

*Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding by M.D., Naomi Baumslag and Dia L. Michels

*Breastfeeding with Comfort and Joy: A Photographic Guide for Mom and Those Who Help Her by Laura Keegan Lifeforce Family Health Care - Laura Keegan RN, FNP

*Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding by Jack Newman, Teresa Pitman

*Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts by Fiona Giles
October 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Prolonged Breastfeeding May Protect Against Childhood Leukemia
October 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
^ added!
November 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Gotta add the Mothering Magazine's article on Mongolia Breastfeeding: Mothering Natural Family Living - July/August 2009
January 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Changing The Sleep Pattern In The Family Bed
January 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvetwentyone View Post
Added! Thanks for sharing!
May 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
How Breastfeeding Benefits Mothers' Health: Scientific American

Topic Tools Search this Topic