Hi ladies!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will be at one year this Sunday (the 21st), yay!

My question is this, I am stopping pumping at work. They *probably* would let me continue but we just got a new director here and I don't want to rock the boat Plus I am honestly just sick of washing my flanges, bottles, etc every single day. I have been spending 1.5hrs a day pumping or washing for the last 9 months!

I am still going to nurse her when I get home and through the night. We cosleep so she usually nurses 4-ish times a night and I don't mind.

On the weekends will I be able to nurse her during the day? Or will I just not have much at all? She only nurses 2-3 times between 6am and 7pm already and those are just when I offered, she doesn't really ask often except when upset. Or does this mean she will work on building up my supply all weekend again and then I'll be engorged on Monday? Eek!
November 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on the 1 year mark! i also stopped pumping at work when jacob turned 1. i slowly transitioned him to cows milk at daycare, using the last of my freezer stash. i nursed before work, after work, bedtime, and overnight if he woke. weekends i nursed on demand, usually 1-2x during the timeframe of my workday. i always had enough milk for him, yet i was never engorged monday at work. your body has an amazing way of regulating!
November 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
congrats on making it to a year!!! I am still pumping at work, but am planning on phasing it out as we approach 18 months next week.

November 18th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're body will likely do just fine! Katie may not actually get that much milk if she nurses during the day on the weekends, but she likely won't mind.

on the big one year milestone this weekend!

November 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrat's!

I stopped pumping at 12 months and nurse on demand at home. It's amazing how the body adapts ad adjusts. I've never been engorged from the transition and Maddie hasn't skipped a beat. She gets cows milk at daycare and never had any problems. GL
November 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on making it to a year!

I stopped pumping at a year too and we transitioned Graysen to almond milk at daycare and then we nurse on demand at home. I also never had problems with engorgement at home after the weekend.

November 19th, 2010, 04:26 AM
chemlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also quit pumping at a year. At nearly 20 months, Audrey nurses on demand when I'm around. And when I'm around, she demands a lot. If I'm near her she prefers milk to food, still.

She nurses at least 2 times after work, doesn't always sleep through the night, and nurses at least 6 times a day during the weekend. I never have issues with engorgement at work, but I always have enough milk for her too. Our boobies and bodies are amazing.
November 21st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Congratulations on making it to a year!

I want to echo the other ladies, you'll be fine. When I went back to work our nursing schedule got quite irregular. I work either 7am-2pm or 1pm-9pm. When I work an evening shift followed by a morning shift it means I nurse her at 9am and then not until 3pm or later the following day (sometimes the morning shift is longer).

Even with all that and pregnancy zapping my supply she is still nursing and getting something out of the boobs. I think in our case though that a lot of the time the nursing is for comfort. In my opinion though comfort nursing is as important as nursing for nutrition.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search