Extended BFing and alcohol

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts on having a drink or two at this stage of bf'ing?

November 26th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I enjoy my occasional glass of wine with zero guilt. Maddie's been sleeping through the night for 4 months now and goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 7am, so I'll have a glass once she's in bed.
November 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I waited for a year before having a drink. I only had it few times (first time I got so buzzed from just one cider lol). I knew DD's sleeping patterns plus she was old enough to be soothed to sleep by daddy so it didnt seem it'd be an issue anymore.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
November 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my wine. Jacob has been STTN since 14 months. I often have a glass after he goes to bed. While I'd like to have more occasionally, I'm always so tired that I'd rather go to sleep!
November 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Amylizz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still won't drink any alcohol while bf'ing, but I do believe it can be done safely. I just choose not to personally.

November 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks like I'm in the minority here. I had my first beer about one week PP. I have continued to drink since then. I'm not a big drinker, so will usually go weeks between drinks and then I usually have one, but that has nothing to do with BFing. I really have not noticed any difference in my kids when I have a drink, so I'm comfortable doing it.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 28th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no problem with having a beer or small glass of wine. If I should drink so much as to feel tipsy I just would not nurse her for the next couple of hours. Generally one drink is where I stop though.

November 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had the occasional drink over the last 17 months and I'm not really worried about it.

November 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
DistantSun's Avatar Seeking Serenity
Send a message via AIM to DistantSun
I too will have the occasional drink, I just make sure to time it right so that I can nurse again when it is safe to do so. The last drink I had was on my birthday, 10/25 and before that it was probably.... Oh, June maybe? I only once drank a bit too much and was frightened to breastfeed, but we made it through ok.

Thank you so much, cavewoman!
December 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm in the minority too, if DH and I were going out to eat I usually have a drink. Even when she was smaller. If I have more than one I usually wait 4+ hrs though. I just felt barely tipsy anyway.
December 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I also am in the minority. I had wine while I was preggo b/c the Dr. recommended it with my Irritable Uterus. Since then, I don't drink all the time but I do have wine/girly beer when I feel like it.

December 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I have had a drink here or there whenever I wanted to. Of course we are talking maybe 5 times in the 3 years I have been nursing. Only one drink and never even to tipsy. It is mostly been a social thing. I had no qualms about nursing after one drink. More and I would have waited to nurse or had milk pumped if I thought it necessary.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

December 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Also in the minority.
And..the other minority. LOL
I had my first drink when she was about 7 or 8 months old.. It was a mild mixed drink and she was asleep and did not nurse for about 4 hours afterwards. I fed her before I drank.
Since then, I have drank twice. Both when she was in bed. She doesn't sttn yet, but I make sure if I have a drink, it's shortly after she is fed, which means I have 3-4 hrs for it to clear my system.
The other minority= technically I am not of 'age' to drink, but it's with family during family functions, so it's not like I'm out partying.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search