Getting through pregnancy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Destiny
Hi! I randomly lurk here and I needed some help.
Right now I'm a little over 9 weeks pregnant, and I'm still nursing my daughter who is almost a year old. I've been having a lot of trouble with nipple pain, and I've started to loathe breastfeeding to the point where I'm finding myself avoiding it altogether. I've considered weaning, but I wanted it to be baby-led and I don't really feel like I'll be ready at a year because her solid food diet is very incomplete, breastfeeding gives me confidence that my daughter is getting all the nutrients she needs.
But nursing is painful and I'm pretty sure my anemia and hypoglycemia are at least partially caused by the frequent nursing I still do. My husband wants me to wean because he hates how worn out I am, but I want to nurse on Eliana's timetable, not ours.

I just need some advice, how do you get through pregnancy while nursing? How do you deal with the pain and the need to eat like a horse and the total fatigue?

December 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jackie&Brycesmommy
I wish i could help but i am on the same page!!! I have a 15 month old that i cant get off the boob!

December 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Latching hurts but I tell myself that the pain is just temporary. To me nursing DD is more important. I'm lucky though, the initial latch pain is all the discomfort I have most of the time. My nurseling is quite a bit older than yours and right now she's nursing 1-3x a day.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
December 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
Latching hurts but I tell myself that the pain is just temporary. To me nursing DD is more important. I'm lucky though, the initial latch pain is all the discomfort I have most of the time. My nurseling is quite a bit older than yours and right now she's nursing 1-3x a day.
We're still nursing about 7 times a day. It usually hurts the whole way through. I've been playing video games while I'm feeding her, and sometimes that helps
I'm starting to crack and bleed too, but I'm thinking that's because I startle her when I yelp or whatnot, and she doesn't break suction before she pulls off.
Good to know I'm not alone though.
Thanks

December 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried weaning for 3.5 days. DD wasn't ready. Now we've cut it down to early morning, naptime, and bedtime. It's a compromise that seems to be working.

As for the discomfort, it actually seems better than the first few weeks. And I just grin and bear it.

January 4th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest DD nursed through my whole pregnancy, despite everything. I was very sore the whole time she nursed and by the end, I could only let her nurse for less than a minute before I stopped her. We ended up cutting back a lot, to 1-2 times a day by the end. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy nursing while pregnant and only did it because I knew she wasn't ready to wean. I'm glad that I did let her continue though, we went on to tandem nurse for 18 months and she did wean on her own.

Now I'm in the same place again and just playing things by ear. I didn't want to nurse while pregnant again and was hoping to wait until she was closer to weaning to have another baby. I am sore, but it only lasts for the first 30-60 seconds and dies down, so it's bearable. My supply is definitely going down though, so I'm not sure if that will have an effect on how much she keeps nursing. That's why I haven't really decided what I want to do yet, it's still early and I know things can change. I've heard of completely booby-addicted children weaning in just a few months during pregnancy, so there's no way to know what the future holds!

Expecting baby #4!

January 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM
mommabirdof4
I feel your pain...The first 9 or so weeks of the pregnancy I was pretty sore...nursing or not...but it has gotten better. JoJo has went down to nursing about 2 to 3 times a day...before my miscarriage it was closer to every 3 hours still. She night weaned on her own. I let her nurse when she askes and it isn't all the much.

I don't have much milk...but she still nurses...I think she would dry nurse no matter what. Of course my dr's aren't to happy I am still nursing but as long as it is kept to the 2 or 3 times a day they say it is okay unless I start pre-term labor issues...hopeing to keep that away because I do want to tandam nurse once the twins come if JoJo would like.
January 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
It was a huge struggle for me. I was miserable nursing my older one while pregnant! Like to the point where I had to work on night weaning with her and ended up limiting her to 3 times a day. Leila was not even 11 months when I found out I was pregnant so I think the time frame is about the same for you. At that age it is possible that she could wean soon....or not! Either way it is something that you will either cope with or should not feel bad about needing to find an answer that works for you guys.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Destiny
Thank you all so much! The pain is getting better, but to avoid the worst of it I've cut down the length of the nursing sessions, and letting her nurse more frequently, except on those rare occasions when it doesn't hurt for some reason.
My husband has been helping me at night due to my fatigue, and she's cut herself down to a single nursing session between bedtime and morning because of it, so I have those reprieves for myself.
Nursing is still going well, my supply is still great, but I'm not too surprised since by this time in my last pregnancy I already was producing a great deal of colostrum. But who knows what will happen in the next few months?

Right now my goal is to establish her solid food diet better before she self-weans, she's turning one on Thursday and I'm planning to slowly expand her diet starting next week so I can feel good about her nutrition if she does decide to wean.
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and advice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search