Should I Wean? -Updated

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Destiny
I've been feeling really disheartened lately, between the hypoglycemia and losing lots of weight despite eating well. I just don't feel like I'm healthy enough to be supporting two babies.
The nipple pain is driving me over the edge, as a result of my pregnancy hormones mixed with nursing, and Eliana sliced me good today when she bit me, so I have to express off of that side for at least the rest of the day.

Breastfeeding is wearing me out, and I've been really unhealthy because of all the demands my two babies are putting on my body. I haven't been enjoying it anymore and it's been putting me on edge with all the pain.

I feel like a failure, I really wanted to do child-led weaning, but I'm thinking that it might be time to quit, for my own health and sanity.

What do you ladies think? I need support for one thing or the other, so I don't feel like such a wreck.

Update:
I decided to partially wean Eliana, and we've finally reached a good point where we're both pretty comfortable. I feed her a maximum of four times a day, and I'm feeling a lot better, and she's doing great.
It looks like I might end up having PTL troubles again this pregnancy, so I'm glad I did this when I did. Thank you so much for all of your help, and for suggesting partial weaning. It was a great option for us.

Last edited by breathing for two; February 9th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
January 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I think you should do whatever works best for you and your babies. From your post, it sounds like BFing while you're prego isn't working well for any of you. Ellie may wean on her own since you're prego. You can try to cut her down to less feedings, that doesn't mean you have to completely wean. You can give it a try and see how it goes.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

January 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like weaning her may be your best option, but just like Celry said, maybe reduce her feedings and see if she ends up weaning on her own. You may have to push her a bit to wean, but eventually it will work. Just be happy with the fact that you've been able to give her breastmilk for so long.

Being so stressed out isn't good for you or for your pregnancy. It sounds like breastfeeding is becoming something that you dread, and that won't be good for you or your little ones. Good luck in what ever you decide.

January 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think you should do what is right for you and yours.you sound like youre in pure misery.if weaning is the way to go,you be proud you made it this long and take care of yourself!!HUGS mama

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
January 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Destiny
I'm thinking I might start partial weaning and see how it goes. Do any of you ladies know alternate comforting techniques I could use in place of the breast?

January 14th, 2011, 12:00 AM
A friend of mine just used to give her daughter warm milk in a sippy cup and would snuggle with her. She said that after a few times her daughter seemed ok with it.

January 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
It definitely sounds like weaning or cutting back might work for you. I also had a friend who used warm milk in a sippy cup, and it worked well for her, but my son hated it. The only thing that seemed to work with him was rocking him and singing to him.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
January 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Destiny
I've been pumping and rocking her as she drinks mommy-milk from a cup, and she really enjoys that, although she's somehow guzzling down in under a minute what took me a good half hour to pump
I have no idea how she'll react to cow's milk, even warmed up, I've been giving her food with milk in it, but no milk yet, I'm lactose intolerant and a little nervous about giving her more than a little bit.
I've never done well with pumping, so I really don't know if I can keep it up.

What feedings do any of you find are easiest to cut out? I'm preparing for weaning, but haven't really started to yet, I have a lot of misgivings about it, and feel nervous about it all, but since I'm only partial weaning, I can always go back to full time nursing whenever I feel ready. I hope.

January 14th, 2011, 03:17 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
We give DD unsweetened plain organic silk soymilk. We do not give her cows milk. Soy and rice milk are a little bit sweeter than cow's milk, so maybe closer to breastmilk? Rice milk does not have the fat that plain soy milk has, so if you chose rice milk (which is really sweet naturally) you may want to make sure she is getting fat in addition with flax oil or avocado, etc.

January 16th, 2011, 12:17 AM
We have sloooowly started giving Izzy Goat products. Apparently goats milk is the easiest thing for infants/children to digest in addition to breastmilk. I had to cut dairy out of my diet when Izzy was 2 months old due to her reaction to it and I've only recently brought it back in. I'm too nervous to try her on cows milk, so goats milk/cheese/yogurt seem like the obvious choice. Soy/rice/almond milk to not have the fat needed for a child's growing brain, so she'll need other sources as well.

January 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I ended up cutting my Leila down to 3 nursings a day once I was pregnant. I just could not take the misery any more often than that. And at that, eventually I was only able to nurse her a couple of mins at a time, with me watching the clock with a minute goal in mind to reach before making her stop. I just could not do more. I didn't feel comfortable or happy with weaning but couldn't just full on nurse her as I had always.

You have to do what you feel you need to do. No one can tell you what is right or wrong for YOU and YOUR child. You have done so much for your daughter by nursing her to this point. WTG!!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Destiny
bump for update

February 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I am so glad that you are feeling better with the partial weaning! That makes such a difference!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search