Feeling guilty

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I want to wean. Its been 26 months and I am just done. Part of it is for selfish reasons and that is why I feel guilty. I can't work out the way I want to while nursing. I know i have given her a great start but she loves her nummies so much and i feel bad for wanting to take them away. I just want my body back to me!

January 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am assuming that after 2 years a lot of women feel that way. If you feel it is time to wean, then gently prod her in that direction, it may take time, but you can do it gently. Also, I exercise with no problem and nursing, I just can't seem to lose these last few pounds with nursing.

January 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i understand exactly how you feel! i would love for jacob to self-wean, but for selfish reasons i want him to stop shortly after his 2nd bday. that's only a month away! you have done a great job, and you should never feel badly about your decision. nursing should only continue so long as it is beneficial to both the child AND mother. i plan to gradually encourage the process starting soon. i will stop offering in the morning (we're down to morning and bedtime only, for the most part). then about a month later, i will try to do a slightly different bedtime routine that does not include nursing. i imagine this will be VERY difficult. i may have to cut the session shorter and shorter. does your LO have a comfort item? i know jacob sleeps better with his bink and lovey, so i will focus on those. i'll deal with weaning him from the bink after i conquer the BFing thing!
January 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
After more than 3 years of nursing I am right there with you!!! It can be just draining on you mentally, physically, emotionally! You have to decide what is right for you guys...no one can tell you, or should tell you, what to do!

I have recently started a more restrictive diet(weight watchers and did not report as a breastfeeding mother since mine are older) and have been trying to work out as often as possible. I have decided that I am not going to let the nursing impact where I go with this. If they wean because of my losing weight then I am ok with that. If not, well, I am a happier, healthier mom and they are still getting the boob juice. I can't let it hold me back from trying to be healthier for the family. KWIM?

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Thanks guys. I know that I can work out while nursing her but I also have the pesky 5 lbs that I can't seem to loose... I know that once we wean it will go away (at least it did with my other 3) but I also read that doing too much exercising while nursing can cause your body to release some hormone or something that isn't good. Its been a while since I read it but it kept me from doing anything to extreme.

I also want to cut calories but I have always been told that while BFing you still need to be on a high calorie diet to keep your milk good.

The more I think about it, the less guilty I feel. I have given up a lot to nurse this long and weaning her means I will be able to start my arthritis meds again and take stuff to help with my bad back. Something I haven't been able to do since i got preggo.

Oh and no security item. I have tried and tried but nothing seems to work. *sigh*

February 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
After 3 years I am soooo ready for my oldest to wean. She, however isn't even close to ready. It's hard on both of us.
February 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would just cut back your calories and exercise as you would like, because if it affects your supply, that will probably just help with the weaning. I have done a lot of extreme endurance events while bfing and know other women who have done even more extreme ones and there was no ill effect that i noticed, i did almost pass out after an endurance event when i went to pump right after, the medic said it was a blood pressure thing.

February 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
In my opinion the nursing relationship should continue as long as the child and the mother want. If either party wants to stop then it should be respected. It sounds like it's time for you to wean, maybe you can do a slow process that'll make it easier on her.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search