Marathon nursing in the wee hours of the morning. Any advice?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
So, around 15 months I used the No Cry Sleep Solution and we went from nursing 6-10+ times a night to 2-4 (generally 2-3) times a night, which, imo, is a HUGE improvement. However, in the past weeks or more, she has been nursing for HOURS all morning long, sometimes all night long starting around 2 am, but most commonly around 5am until we "wake" up. I am already up as I cannot really sleep while she is sucking, atleast not sleep more than a slight doze. I try to pop her off and this is what has worked with the frequent nighttime nursings, but unlike at bed time, she won't stay off and claws around looking for the breast, even throws herself on top of me. Finally around 5:30am, i had to say no and she cried for about 10 minutes. I held her while she cried, but I have a busy day at work and have barely slept. Any other advice? Or do the boobs just go night night and hope the crying dwindles over time?

January 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Destiny
I've been trying to night wean and I've found that if I'm the one that gets up with her she'll get rather awful until I nurse her. Do you have a SO to help you at night? I've been having DH get up with Ellie, and that's working great (for me and Ellie, can't say he's too thrilled with it).
She associates daddy with a different kind of comfort and will gladly go to sleep in his arms, with little fussing on her part. And I can just nurse her when I get up in the morning, or if she's genuinely hungry at night (it's easier to tell than I would expect).
I hope things work out for you.

January 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
We cosleep, so DH is there, but she screams for mommy if DH is there and Mommy is not. Inconsolable screaming. It is quite terrible.

January 30th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Ugh. last night she nursed for 20 minutes at 1am, then i cut her off and she cried for about 10 minutes in my arm and went back to sleep. Not too bad. BUT then she woke up around 3 and after 15 minutes I cut her off and she cried on and off for almost TWO HOURS! I was not going to give in and let her nurse because that would tell her that if she cries enough she will get it. Hopefully it gets easier as the nights go on, but i am exhausted. I also think I should have a bottle of soy milk up there with us, incase she is really hungry or something. Offer her that if she keeps crying?

January 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Destiny
I always pass her off to daddy when I cut off her nursing, sort of just to tell her "we're done, but it doesn't mean that I'm ignoring you" you could try the milk, so she understands that she'll be fed if she needs to be, even if it's not via her favourite source.
I'm sure you'll find a good option for you. Is she old enough for things to be explained to her? Maybe that would help.

January 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
well, she is 20 months old, but i think when she gets upset all reasoning goes out the window. LOL. I think if I just keep at it, some really bad nights should pay off. I do not want to night wean her because i think she does need to eat, i just want to cut out the frivolous nursing and the marathon nursing. I put her between me and DH and she does not really care for him to try to soothe her, she just wants momma.

January 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Do you not feed her any milk from a cup during the day? Maybe she's not getting enough fluids or calories and is making up for it at night. What does her typical day look like? I've never dealt with this, so my advice can only go by the experience of others. We haven't been night nursing since 12mos. If she's hungry, she should be getting 90% of her calories from food at this age. The BFing is mostly supplemental.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

January 31st, 2011, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Butterflies View Post
Do you not feed her any milk from a cup during the day? Maybe she's not getting enough fluids or calories and is making up for it at night. What does her typical day look like? I've never dealt with this, so my advice can only go by the experience of others. We haven't been night nursing since 12mos. If she's hungry, she should be getting 90% of her calories from food at this age. The BFing is mostly supplemental.
I think we will have to agree to disagree on the bolded, but I can answer that. She nurses about 4-6 times during the day and gets watered down juice and soy milk and yogurt smoothies. Not always all three she every day. the days I work i give her a smoothie. Her eating is hit or miss and some days she eats well and others not so well. My one girlfriend's daughter just started to eat solids at 19 months after being offered them for over a year. She just nursed and did not need anything else, I know several babies like that.

Anywho, last night went better. She woke up at 1 and i let her nurse for 10 minutes, cut her off, she cried for a couple minutes then went to sleep. She woke up at 4, nursed for 10 minutes, i cut her off she cried for a couple minutes, went back to sleep. She woke up at 6 and nursed for 10 minutes, then i cut her off and she was quiet for about 10 then really flipped out for about 20 minutes, then laid in bed singing until we got up at 6:45. I did give her the bottle around 6:30 and she took maybe 1/2 ounce. I hope things continue well. We have a La Leche Meeting tomorrow and will be sure to discuss it there

January 31st, 2011, 05:05 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I am dealing with this too. In my experience with this so far, the first three days is the worst. We did this a few months ago but I backslid when DH came home from Afghanistan and then we traveled for 6 weeks straight so we are starting from scratch now.

Here is the thing that I used to start this. I hope it will help you!
Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed | Jay Gordon, MD FAAP

January 31st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm, are Zoe and Anna sisters? Anna is the same way with night nursing, if I cut her off sometimes she will just scream. We've had nights she is up for 2 hours because she just wants to nurse. We've tried night weaning a few times and after a few nights of that, I've given up.
For the marathon sessions in the morning, Anna does that sometimes. I assume she is trying to keep herself asleep but not really getting into a deep sleep so she's waking more often.
I can't really help, but I can sympathize. I hope it does get easier for you!

Expecting baby #4!

January 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Andi- sounds like sisters from another mother! LOL. Last night was the third night and much improvement. I am just going to try to stay strong and hope it all pays off. I am not night weaning her, just reducing the length of the nursing sessions. My friend's 19 month is the same and she even takes a pacifier (Zoe never did) and still nurses nonstop all night long. I always thought that would have solved the problem, LOL.

January 31st, 2011, 10:12 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
sorry i am no help, my ds still nurses like a newborn as well and he is over a year old. sigh
February 1st, 2011, 05:20 AM
Ok, last night went even better! Hopefully we are on the right track She woke up 3 times (12, 4, 6) and nursed 10 minutes, i cut her off and there was little to no crying and she went back to sleep. I hope this continues.

February 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Good luck! They do catch on quick!!

February 3rd, 2011, 05:07 AM
2 nights ago only two wakings and last night only two and i snuck out early to get on the treadmill since she was not stuck to me. crossing my fingers this sticks!! i have not felt rested in 2 years (since preggo) and hope to soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search