"Bottle Rot" for nursing babies battle continues tomorrow...Owen's surgery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
So my little one, Owen is having surgery tomorrow to have his two front teeth removed. Yep. His two front teeth are entirely rotted out. We are pretty devastated.

When his teeth first started to appear they already had what seemed to be decay going on. He went to the dentist BEFORE he was even a year old! He has had numerous fluoride treatments by them, regular fluoride paste applied at home, and regular and consistent teeth brushing. His teeth are just TERRIBLE.

Of course, at every visit the office makes me feel like my nursing him is a terrible, horrible, negatively impacting thing to do. I have and am and will always fight this. Both my SO's family and my family have notoriously bad teeth. My mom had full dentures before she was my age(almost 30). My uncle reportedly NEVER had a tooth that didn't need work on it. Ryan has nearly his whole mouth worked on. etc etc etc. Basically, we have BAD teeth.

In any case, his surgery is first thing in the morning. He will be knocked out, will have at least the two front teeth and maybe one other side tooth removed, any other spots of decay will be fixed, and then sealants will be placed all over the other teeth. It is too bad...he still has not even finished teething...

I am so angry, so upset, so unbelievably guilt ridden. I no longer am accepting that nursing is the culprit...it most likely contributed to the decay but it is NOT the reason for the decay!

Please pray that the surgery goes smoothly and that he handles it all well. It is going to be a tough couple of days...

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 7th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I'm sorry that you and Owen have to go through this. Hasnt the dentist's office been able to offer you any other explanation? I think that if breastfeeding was to blame that the damaged part would be in the back not front. The breast goes quite deep in. It's just that often breastfeeding is an easy culprit, it's so sweet and all that.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 7th, 2011, 05:00 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
(((Hugs))) i agree with what Fluga said, about the back teeth vs the front teeth. I believe most teeth issues are more genetic than anything else. DH takes horrible care of his teeth and never has a cavity. I am very careful and meticulous about my teeth and often get cavities. I eat a better diet, by far, as well!

February 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dd has tooth decay. When the dentist told me that surgery had to be done I just couldn't see my lo going through that. I looked for other options online and found this website. curetoothdecay com

Quote:
Shamefully, many pediatric (child) dentists believe that frequent breast feeding, on cue, as nature intended is the cause of childhood cavities.

This is not true, and it does not make sense since nature did not design its ideal food source for infants, breast milk, to be the cause of disease.
What he said right here made since to me. I looked over the website for a while and found I liked the info. He says that cavities are from the inside out, not genetic, not from bacteria, but from the way we eat. His studies are from dentists from the early 1900's, so it's not some new fad. I read some book reviews on it be sure it was worth the money. The way I looked at it is if $28 saves me and my family 1000's of dollars of dentist work it is worth the money. My dd's teeth look better and my teeth feel better.

Darn, I wish I was able to share this info with you before now. Hope the litle guy is doing okay. Poor thing. Dentists suck.
February 9th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
How did the surgery go? I have a hard time buying the breastfeeding cause story too. I hope he is recovering quickly and you are feeling some relief from your stress!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
February 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Thanks ladies! He did great and has healed wonderfully. I have to say, he actually looks awful cute with his hillbilly look going on!

Thanks for the info Melisa. This has been an ongoing thing with the major chipping literally over the last two week period before we went to the dentist. I don't think ANYTHING could have saved these teeth. I am sad about but glad he is no longer in pain. He is a much happier, much better eater these days.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Jen, I'm just seeing this now. HUGE hugs to you, Mama.

I hope Owen is healing and feeling much much better.

Audrey has major decay on her front 4 teeth too. She's had some fillings done but I think she is heaed down the same path as Owen. Both Chris and I have bad teeth and our dentist also blamed nursing as the cause.

I am just hoping her adult teeth come in stronger than her baby teeth were.
February 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran
My daughter (now 5) night nursed until she was 2 1/2-3, and she has perfect, beautiful teeth. My son isn't as lucky. I have bad teeth. My mom and dad both have bad teeth. It IS a genetic flaw to be predisposed to having more bad teeth. I have another daughter (now 11) who night nursed until she was FOUR, and her teeth are in the middle.

Amelogenesis imperfecta - Genetics Home Reference

Preschool and Child Channel - preschooler development, preschooler preparation, child development, raising children

I absolutely 100% do NOT believe that breastmilk or any whole food does this. Nature (or in my world, God) didn't create toothpaste and toothbrushes. There's even a toothpaste that I've seen at the store that says, "contains ingredients more like breastmilk." Breastmilk is antibacterial and living. It destroys the bacteria-not feed it.
February 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad the surgery went well and is over! I bet he looks totally cute!

Yeah, I think breastmilk helps teeth not hurts. I think bad teeth are genetic. I'm confused about the "way we eat" explanation. What does that mean?

March 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How what you eat really affects your teeth - Sacramento Nutrition | Examiner.com

March 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
~Annissa~'s Avatar I love my kids!
How did he handle the anesthesia? How long was the process of surgery?
My daughter was diagnosed with the same thing, front four teeth, has to have them fixed under anesthesia. Makes me nervous!
Our old dentist did also say that nursing caused it, but everything I read said that wasn't right. We moved and found a new dentist and he said he doesn't believe nursing caused it at all, that it was likely a genetic weakening of the enamel.
I haven't made the appt for the surgery yet because I am so nervous about it, but I do want her beautiful smile back. They told me they wouldn't pull because of the teeth to follow, but I guess we'll see what happens.
Sorry your little guy had to go through that, but I'm glad he's doing well. Did he act like they bothered him?

March 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Oh how sad. Did you have antibiotics during your pregnancy with him?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search