night weaning a toddler - tips or success stories appreciated!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ladies!

I'm Shannon, mama to Lilybug and we've been nursing for nearly 15 months now.

She still isn't sleeping through the night and we're trying to night wean at this point. ME & DH's anniversary is in a couple weeks and my mom was going to sleep over here so we could stay in the city for the night. We have made a lot of progress with her sleeping in recent months. She now sleeps in her crib instead of our bed and she will go to sleep at night without nursing!

But when she wakes up in the night, I pretty much always nurse her back to sleep. She will fall asleep between 7:30 & 8:00 and then sleep until 4am or so. But after that I go in, nurse her for maybe 3-5 minutes (mostly comfort nursing) and put her back in her crib... and then she'll wake up every hour & a half or so until we're up for the day.

DH can't really help most of the week because when she wakes up the first time he's about to get up and get ready for work. Right now he has three days off in a row and so we've started trying to night wean her. He'll go in and try to rock her, pat her, soothe her, ANYTHING to get her back to sleep without me going in and nursing her.

So two nights ago she woke up, and he would get her to fall asleep for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time... but that was it. She was basically up for the day at 3:30am since I wouldn't nurse her.

Last night, night two... the same thing. She just wouldn't go back to sleep for him. So she woke up around 4am and just stayed up.

I don't want to stop trying because I'm hoping over time she'll learn that when she wakes up, she will be comforted without nursing and she should go back to sleep. Its frustrating because she goes to bed for the night without nursing so she DOES know how to put herself to sleep from being awake.

I love the Dr. Jay Gordan article on night weaning but now that we aren't co-sleeping and she isn't nursing to sleep totally I don't really know how to apply it to our situation.

In the day time I'm nursing her every time she asks and giving her lots of water and cuddle time. I also tried to explain to her that she couldn't nurse again until morning etc. and she nodded her head 'yes' but you know, she's 14 months old... I don't imagine she really understands lol.

I guess I'm just looking for any tips or advice... or even similar stories that were successful!

April 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I night weaned K around..errr I believe 16m cuz it was Jan. I did it cold turkey. No nursing in the night end of story. K would go back to bed though she was FURIOUS that I wouldnt nurse her, but she would get over it. Took 20 minutes the first night and much of that involved her screaming at me, kicking me, at one point she even tried to bite me. It was horrible. But I would say by night 8-9 she was "okish" with it. We still do have nights where she is furiously offended that I nurse her, but she gets over it. HTH!
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
April 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks Nikki... So Ken went back to sleep after 20ish minutes? *jealous* Lily just won't... the past two nights she has woken up approx. 5 hours b efore her normal every day 'awake time' and just STAYED up because I w ouldn't nurse her.

April 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have not night weaned yet because I do not think she is ready yet, but I have cut back and that reduced the night wakings significantly. Also, if I am not there at night she seems to go back to sleep fine without me. Go figure.

April 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Fiddlist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm new here, so hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I night weaned DD around 16 months out of desperation. There was one night I swear she was up 4 times...anyway, what we did was this: first, I explained to her that she was going night night and num (her nursing word) was going night night too, but she could have it in the morning when she woke up. Then, if she woke up, DH would go in there with her and not me, under any circumstances! Boy it was hard, because for the first few nights she wasn't having any of it. We don't really go for CIO, so DH was in there rocking, singing, patting, for a long time. But very soon after that, she started STTN consistently. The other thing we did was put a non-leak sippy filled with ice water within reach so she could have it anytime. Now we hear her wake up, drink some and go back to sleep. Now, I go in sometimes, and if she's sick or has a nightmare, I still go in and nurse her sometimes, but I would say she has STTN almost every night since. HTH and good luck!!
April 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Last night was our fourth night and it went MUCH better! She slept from 730 to 6:45 without waking to nurse! Hopefully we'll continue moving in this direction.

April 8th, 2011, 06:34 AM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im glad its getting better sweetie!! How was last night?
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
April 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i should really get the courage to do this.

April 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Last night was our best yet... she slept from 7:45 until 7:15 this morning! I think she's getting it! She's asking to nurse more often during the day, but I'm happy to oblige!

Tags
bfing , breastfeeding , night weaning , nursing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search