New Here :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran
Hi all! My name is Marisa and I'm coming over from the Sept Due Date Club.

I had a question for you mommies:

My son is 11 months old and still nursing, usually about 5-6 times a day. I am almost 20 wks pregnant with my third. It is my intention to continue to nurse my 11 mo old, but my milk supply is starting to slow down! Talk about panic!

Any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything! I just dont want to wean him yet, he is not ready.

Thank you in advance. I really appreciate it.
May 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Marisa!

I successfully nursed my first daughter through my pregnancy, but my second daughter weaned about 3 months into this one. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for low supply while pregnant. The horomones take over and you can't really override them. Fenugreek isn't safe during pregnancy along with some of the other herbs that can help increase supply. Just keep yourself hydrated and make sure you are taking in enough calories to support both the pregnancy and breastfeeding. As long as he still seems interested though, I would keep offering it to him. I completely dried up around 4 months during my 2nd pregnancy and my daughter lost some interest, but didn't wean. I was happy to keep nursing her and we ended up tandem nursing for about 18 months.

Expecting baby #4!

May 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah, I agree with Andrea, there's not a whole lot you can do to increase supply during pregnancy. None of the usual tricks work. Drink as much water as you can stand and eat LOTS of nutritious foods. It's totally ok to keep nursing for as long as your LO is interested, even if he isn't getting much milk. You will probably notice that he will drink more water and eat more table food as your supply drops. Don't panic, just take it a day at a time. I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and my 1st DD is still nursing a few times a day at 2 1/2. My supply totally bottomed out somewhere around 24-26 weeks and DD complained but didn't lose interest. All kids are different and they will decide what they want to do.

June 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran
Thanks Ladies!

We are down to nursing only at naptime and bedtime, but still plugging along! I appreciate the advice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search