BFing while pregnant

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM
star shaped's Avatar Regular
Hi everyone! I have a 17 month old son who I am still nursing. I recently found out that I'm pregnant. I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I'm sure I'm around 6 weeks along. It was a big surprise. I just want to hear from some of you who have breastfed while pregnant. Were you very successful? I really don't want to stop yet. I've noticed a decrease in my milk supply over the past few weeks. What can I do to keep my milk production up? I don't know if I should just start weening him since I might have no choice.
July 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I am sure there will be plenty of great advice here. I have heard that production will ebb and flow throughout the pregnancy and that there is a period of time where it will be painful to breastfeed but it will pass (around six months pregnant). Prenatals will help from drying up, I believe. This is all second hand, I have not BTDT

Did you have AF???! We were so so careful for seven years and planned my DD but...... we are not as strict about protection as we were before because I haven't had AF yet.

July 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
star shaped's Avatar Regular
Well, I have my first doctor's appointment next week, so hopefully she can give me some tips. I've searched around and found some people say they completely dry up, while others will be up and down for a while. I don't know, I fear my supply was starting to decrease anyway.

I had AF a few times, but it wasn't regular at all. I might be totally off on how far along I am. We were still being very careful.
August 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I was in a similar situation, found out I was pregnant when DS was 18 months old. By then he was nursing mainly for nap time and night time. I never had AF return so it was kind of a surprise, we weren't trying but weren't preventing. Unfortunately though my supply completely vanished right around 20 weeks into the pregnancy. DS actually went on a nursing strike at 11 weeks because of the change in taste of the milk. That lasted a weekend and then he nursed through the decrease in supply so he was dry nursing for awhile at bedtimes. That was tough on my sensitive nipples and probably contributed to us fully weaning. He was around 20 months old. I had prepared myself to tandem nurse because I was expecting DS to regress once the baby was born and want to nurse, but he never did so now I just have one nursling who is 2 months old.

A couple of side notes, if your provider tells you to stop nursing because it might cause preterm labor, listen to your body over your provider. My midwife always told me about the warnings but I was able to tell if nursing was causing any preterm labor symptoms, and they weren't for me, so we just kept on nursing. Also, breastfeeding this baby after having a 6 month hiatus turned out to be incredibly easy. No cracked nipples, no supply issues, it really has been a breeze and we are in our way to another breastfeeding past one relationship!
August 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I got pregnant when my first was 16 months and I nursed through my pregnancy and never stopped, my first weaned after my second was born and I have been nursing my second since and he is now 16 months with no signs of stopping. It is very very hard, hormonally. But it's doable. Just be prepared. It was really important to me to plow through the struggles, and I'm glad I did. But it was hard. My supply never went away but it dipped, my nipples were really sore and I had a repulsive emotional response to it where it made my skin crawl and I would cry sometimes I hated it so much.

I never had any issues with preterm labor or any of that, my second was born at 41 weeks and a pro at nursing from the start. Despite how hard it was, I have no regrets. You should give it a shot and see how it goes. You can always stop when/if you decide it's time.
August 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Lets see if the baby lets me respond to this...

I nursed through a pregnancy recently. I think I was quite dry by 14ish weeks and very dry by 20ish. That being said I never dried up completely. I kept asking my daughter on and off how it tasted and from the 14ish week mark she said it tasted like cheese. While I could still squeeze a drop I tasted and ewwww. Colustrum came in some time after 35 weeks and that made my nurseling very happy.

Pain wise it wasnt too bad. Latching on was pretty bad but the pain only ever lasted few seconds. The nursing itself wasnt very comfortable but doable. I think that when she got whatever few drops out there and started dry nursing that it started hurting, at that point I usually said that the boob was empty and she graciously gave it up.

There was a period of a month or two that she wasnt so interested in nursing. Her two big times for nursing are in the morning and in the evening before bedtime. At one point she was only doing one of those and few times I had to remind her. I wanted to keep her nursing at least once in 24 hours, unless of course she decided she wanted to wean. I just felt bit bad that her delicious and plentiful milk had turned into something salty and barely there. Late in the pregnancy, possibly when I started to have more colustrum the latch pain almost went away.

During the pregnancy I told her about the baby in my tummy and how when she came out to play that there would be plenty of milk for both her and the baby. She really liked to hear that.

I think it is quite funny and fitting that nursing her was what kick started my labor. One morning when she came for her usual nursing it started my contractions and they never stopped. She got a little sister the same evening.

She's been quite happy to share the boobs with her and is happy that there is milk in there again. My old excuse of the breast being empty no longer works because she tells me no. Her latch is still quite strong possible from sucking so hard when there was nothing so after a while it'll start hurting me. Anyway just a side note but I find it funny.

At the beginning of the pregnancy I was anxious about how this would go but then I just took it one day at a time. Apart from the nursing being somewhat painful I never had any issues with it. Some women may get contractions (think it's not harmful if they go away) and others may just get aversion to having the toddler nurse.

I went out and bought 'adventures in tandem nursing' but found it to be mostly a waste of my money apart from the funny drawings in it.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i have nursed while pregnant twice, now. my daughter i nursed 41 months, up until about 6 months into my pregnancy. and, my dear son is 18 months and nursing, while i'm 15 weeks pregnant. i've not really noticed a decrease in supply but personally i've come to a point where it hurts soooo bad i don't want to do it anymore- note, i did not have this issue last time. it's ultimately up to you, but i tally commend and bow to you for all the work you've done for your childrens' health! pm me for questions, as i'm not here every day.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

October 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM
txmomof4's Avatar Super Mommy
I lost my milk completely prob between 16-20 weeks. I am 33 weeks and nursing a almost 20 month old (on the 18th). I have had my ups and downs emotionally. I was hell bent on getting him weaned due to the pain. But he is stronger willed than I am and it just wasn't meant to be. We are down to nursing for sleep times. He still wakes up every once in awhile in the middle of the night or too early in the morning and I nurse him then. I can tell he's been teething too cause he has tried to initiate extra "naps" so he can nurse. Poor baby. Lol. Now that we are on the down slope I actually look forward to getting my milk back and tandem nursing my two boys. I have read that it helps with bonding and with two older ones who can't seem to say a nice word to each other I want these boys bonded for life. I can't handle another group of sibling rivalry. Blah. They are also sharing a room once the new baby is ready to be out of my bed. I'm guessing as they grow they will end up snuggling together most nights.

October 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dry up completely when I enter my 2nd trimester and that is when my first 2 children decided to wean. I don't dry nurse, so IDK if it would have come back in a few weeks or months or what....

My 3rd is still nursing and I'm in the beginning of my 2nd trimester now. I am trying to gently wean him, but he still likes to briefly night nurse. In about 5-6 minutes of nursing, he literally only swallows once or twice, so the end is near.
October 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
txmomof4's Avatar Super Mommy
Just so you know.... My colostrum (sp?) has come in 2 days shy of 34 weeks. My son was one happy boy laying down for nap today although he refused to quit nursing through nap.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search