Toddler Weaning/Tandem Nursing Help!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Zach & Lola's Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Madigan
So.. my daughter is 2.5 and my son is 7 mo.

Lately we've been talking with dd about the possibility of weaning. She had become (and continues to be) very demanding about nursing, insisting to nurse 5+ times a day. Until a few weeks ago, she was only nursing an average of twice a day (in the morning and for naptime). But has started to ask for it more often, whining and tugging at me until I "give in".

The last few days it has gotten to the point where dh and I are at a total loss. She tantrums constantly to nurse. I try and spend time with her doing other things (when ds is sleeping or otherwise occupies) but she just wants "mommy time". Sometimes I feel that if there is a lull in the conversation she feels it is necessary to interject with "Mommy time, please!!"

Today I found myself shut in the bathroom so I could nurse my 7 mo old, with her tantrumming outside the door. I know that I could be nursing them simultaneously, I did for the first 4-5 months, but now I just am so tired and they are both so squirmy that I don't enjoy it. PLUS it got to the point that whenever I nursed ds, dd wanted some too. I feel as though I am starting to resent dd's nursing and that is the last thing I want.

Do any of you ladies have any BTDT advice?

I've tried snacks/juice/milk. "Special" activities only for when ds is nursing. We have established "boundaries" about when/where to nurse. (In the morning and at naptime - on our couch and in her big girl bed) just don't know what else to do!!

Props to ~:Kellarazzi:~ for my fab siggy.

July 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
(((hugs)))) my 2yo has been really vocal and aggressive about the nursing lately, just like yours, and will tantrum if i cut her off, and when i say cut her off, it is generally AFTER nursing for like an hour straight. we are at a loss as well. we do not want to wean her, but are finding it hard to make boundaries that she respects because she does not care as long as she gets what she wants.

July 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Zach & Lola's Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Madigan
Sorry you are having similar troubles. When my daughter was nursing for periods that were TOO LONG for my comfort level, I would sing her a song or the ABCs or something and tell her at the end it was time to stop nursing.

It would go like this:
She asks to nurse,
I say that she can but when I am ready for it to be over, I will sing XXX song. *This is her time to put in requests!!*
When I am ready for her to be done, I tell her that I am going to sing now and when I'm done she needs to stop nursing. Then we will _______________________ (whatever the next activity is)

It really helped us cut down the length of the sessions, sometimes we do still have troubles though (obviously!!). Also, if she really wants to nurse at a time other than her set times (morning and nap) I sometime will tell her that she can for ABCs and she understands that she can only nurse (each side) for as long as it takes me to sing the ABCs or whatever song she's decided on.

Props to ~:Kellarazzi:~ for my fab siggy.

Tags
nursing , tandem breastfeeding , tantrum , toddler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search