Night Weaning and the Single Mom.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Hi y'all! I've never posted in here before, I remember eyeing it with interest when DD was coming up on a year, but then I started school, and had to cut back on my JM time. So here we are approaching our two year milestone in November!

My problem is that DD is still a nutso night nurser, she loves to comfort nurse all night long. Recently this has become a huge issue for me. I don't know if it's a combination of her light suck and my lack of sleep, but her night nursing makes me feel physically ill. My stomach hurts, my skin feels crawly, and I just want her OFF of me. This is not a problem during the day at all, so I don't want to wean completely, just at night.

I've read all sorts of articles, and advice, but much of it centers around having a secondary caregiver helping with the process. As a single mom, I am alone in this journey. Do any of you have any advice or helpful words for me? We are on day two of "milk went night night," and last night was HORRIBLE. She cried for hours, and refused to be comforted by anything that I tried.

TIA!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
how old is she? i have a husband but he is worthless when it comes to these things. I did not start until DD was over 2 years old, but we did the boobies go night night and she just rolls over, and goes to sleep and during the night i just cuddle her, but most nights she sleeps until at least 5-5:30 and then she gets to nurse because unfortunately it is light out! LOL.

August 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
She's 22 months. I posted an update in the attachment parenting board, in a night weaning thread that I found. Here's a copy and paste of it:

I'm so glad I found this post! I used to post on this board a lot, but when I started school I had to leave JM in the dust...

Tonight will be day four of night weaning for us. I had been thinking about doing it for quite some time, as I seem to suffer from nursing aversion, but only at night. It's really strange, but when she nurses at night, my skin crawls, my stomach flips, and I just want her OFF of me. It doesn't help that she still wants to nurse every two to three hours at night.

I decided to just give a go three nights ago, she was insisting on comfort nursing, and I felt like I was losing my mind. I told her that milk went night night, and she LOST it. Day two wasn't much better... She YELLED and stood on the bed for hours, until she finally passed out, and then it would start all over again. I wasn't sure that I would make it through the night, but I did. Yesterday I talked to her at length about how milk goes night night, and that she could have milk as much as she wanted while the sun was up, but I could tell that she wasn't buying it. Then I read that a mom had told her kiddo that "milk had boo boos" when she was weaning, and thought that might work. My mom had hernia surgery this summer, so DD knows about boo boos and that they restrict things (my mom couldn't pick her up due to the boo boo belly button). So, I told her that milk had boo boos at night time and that she could have a bottle of water if she needed it. Yes, I introduced a BOTTLE at 22 months. Anyway, it worked! She slept for EIGHT hours last night, something that she has NEVER done. She woke up at 6am, and I cried when I told her that milk went night night, but when I explained that milk had boo boos she said, "oh. ok." She played with the bottle for a bit, and layed quietly with me for an hour until the sun came up. I made a big deal about night being over, and that she could have milk again, and she was SO happy.

I'm not sure if our success will continue tonight, but right now I am on cloud nine!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 18th, 2011, 06:36 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
well she is old enough to understand at 22 months. there is a kid's book called Nursies when the sun shines, maybe try that too?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search