Friends/family BF past 1 year?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do most of you know others locally who are still BF after a year? I live in Oregon, and most of my mom friends who have babies in the 12-24 month range are still BF or let their babies self-wean. It's nice because I don't feel odd BFing my 13 month-old in public. If anything, I fit right in. Next week I'm going to South Dakota and I'm sure people are going to look at me like I have two heads if I nurse my DD in public, and we're going to try to get out a lot. Oh, and my DD is STILL in the phase where she's regressed to nursing every 2 hours and has been for over 8 weeks now! This should be interesting.

August 31st, 2011, 02:49 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i have a friend who has a DD a few weeks younger than my DD, a friend with an almost 2 year old and then the women i talk to at LLL, otherwise everyone else thinks i am crazy.

September 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Portland has got to be one of the most friendly BF'ing cities. My brother, his wife, and my nephew who is 20 months live there. My sister in law nurses her son in public with no problem whatsoever. In general, I would say the west coast is much more friendly and accepting of this kind of thing (among other things). I am from Seattle, and sometimes I wish we could move back (I live in upstate NY now where it is not near as friendly). Lucky you!

As for friends, most of my mommy friends are still nursing their toddlers, but I'm sure that's because we have similar morals, ethics, and of course, parenting styles=BF'ing past 1 year.

September 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymgem View Post
Portland has got to be one of the most friendly BF'ing cities. My brother, his wife, and my nephew who is 20 months live there. My sister in law nurses her son in public with no problem whatsoever. In general, I would say the west coast is much more friendly and accepting of this kind of thing (among other things). I am from Seattle, and sometimes I wish we could move back (I live in upstate NY now where it is not near as friendly). Lucky you!

As for friends, most of my mommy friends are still nursing their toddlers, but I'm sure that's because we have similar morals, ethics, and of course, parenting styles=BF'ing past 1 year.
I totally agree with this! I live closer to Eugene, OR which is ultra granola hippie vegan AP mama friendly but Portland and Seattle are easy to to find a Paed that support "non traditional" choices. DH is from the E Coast and reminds me often that it's a LOT less accepting of things like extended BFing (or BFing in general !!)

That being said, I am the only one of my friends/family (except my mother) that is currently or has in the past chosen BF a 16 month old . They are all supportive but mostly I get "wow! still going!"
September 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I dont know anyone personally who is still nursing, but I have a few acquaintances who I think went past 1 with their babies. It doesn't come up a lot, so I'm not sure who knows I'm still bfing... most of our friends don't have kids yet.

September 29th, 2011, 08:08 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
only person i have ever known irl in my aunt, who nursed my cousin for four years. so she loves that i nurse so long, and loves to watch and take photos for me. it's lovely to have that bond with her. she's also one of my best pals.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search