How do you wean the night feedings?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM
jaime9's Avatar Veteran
Everynight before bed,I either nurse or bottle feed my 1yr old to sleep.He then goes in the crib and wakes up 3hrs later.When he wakes up I bring him into bed with us and throughout the night nurse him on and off.Everytime he awakes,he looks for my boob and it's the only way he can put himself back to sleep.
He is fully weaned off the boob during the day and has been for a couple months.
Do you think this is something he will grow out of??
January 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have no advice, i night weaned at 2yo and my DD was still nursing all day long.

January 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
we co-sleep and I used the tip from the book the no cry no sleep solution with my dd at 1yr. I told her "milky go night night, mommy go night night, daddy go night night, Kali go night night too." She barely even whimpered but still snuggled me. When she'd wake in the middle of the night, I'd tell her "no milky went night night" and i wouldnt give in. after 1 or 2 nights she stopped waking in the middle of the night. gl!

January 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would like to do this. My DD is 17 months old. I almost attempted this last week but she's getting canines so I decided to wait for them to come through. I don't think at 12 months she could have understand "milky goes night night" but she's getting close to the age where she can. I don't think she will simply whimper and go to sleep. I expect a huge battle, which is another reason I've been putting it off. I don't have a lot of advice but this may be helpful.

Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed | Jay Gordon, MD FAAP

January 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post
I would like to do this. My DD is 17 months old. I almost attempted this last week but she's getting canines so I decided to wait for them to come through. I don't think at 12 months she could have understand "milky goes night night" but she's getting close to the age where she can. I don't think she will simply whimper and go to sleep. I expect a huge battle, which is another reason I've been putting it off. I don't have a lot of advice but this may be helpful.

Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed | Jay Gordon, MD FAAP

My daughter is pretty verbal. She was a super early talker and very late walker. I honestly expected tons of tears and even hitting because she's a bad tantrum thrower. Surprisingly she cried for just s short time and snuggled me/them and i did kinda let her keep her hand on my heart..... she no longer needs this, just nurses, I unlatch her and she rolls over but now she's almost 23 months.

Today I got brave and put her in her own bed. I nursed her and said the "night night" shpeel and put her in her toddler bed. She cried and tried to get up by I kept putting her back in bed until she just let me rub her back/belly or hold her hand til she fell asleep. It took forever, about 45 minutes. This is tough ladies!

January 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Just call me "Hope."
Hi, I'm Hope and haven't been on the BFing boards for a while. Just thought I'd share though...

We do rocking and singing when DS wakes up. Sometimes it does take forever. The other night I was up with him for an hour and handed him off to DH who was up with him a while longer. Basically, I just reached a point when I decided "I'm not nursing him past 2:30" and kept pushing the time back until now, when I won't nurse him until 5. It is easier when DH is able to get up with him, because sometimes he's very determined to get into my shirt when I hold him. I'm hoping to work toward even less contact at night, but this is where we're at for now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search