20 month old who barely eats food?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD is a boob-aholic and she nurses all day and night STILL at almost 20 months. She doesn't eat much food. She is above average in size and obviously is fine nutritionally, but I want to sleep at night! I'm not sure how to get her to eat more food and less breast milk. Part of the problem is that I only offer her healthy food. I'm sure if I offered cookies she would eat more, but that's not an option for me. We are doing no processed sugar before the age of 3 (at least), no fried foods, and no juice.

Any ideas? TIA!

March 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would offer food before nursing and give her a "grazing" plate (Dr Sears talks abotu this in his nutrition book) to pick and choose what she wants to eat. Also, i find that there are really good, filling foods like nut butters, hummus, avocado etc to fill her up on with good fats.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

March 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Toddlers like choices. I like the grazing plate idea. You can fill it up with crackers, toast points, fruit, and meats and have different things to dip it in. If she seems to want to eat more of one thing than the others, just add a bit more of that to the plate. Think tapas!

My Boring Blog
March 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I find that letting my 17-month old feed herself, even the messy stuff, keeps her interest longer. She will eat finger foods and get board quickly. But if I let her dip her spoon or fork into some baby food or my food from my plate, she'll eat much more.

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Last edited by Lala78; March 30th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
April 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
I could have written this! Glad to see the tips!

February 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Veteran
Mine doesn't eat that much if she eats alone. So we have to eat with her. Hope Juliana was able to learn to eat more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search