Night weaning

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sad. DD (20 months) went to the dentist today and he recommended that we night wean at least because she has cavities on the backs of her 2 front teeth. I think it's because her latch at night has gotten very lazy and she will fall asleep with milk in her mouth. I feel so bad that I let this happen to her. And while we are not going to wean altogether until she's ready, I have a feeling that night weaning is going to be miserable. We bed share right now and DH has suggested that rather than moving her into her own room at the same time, I may just go sleep in the other room for a little while until she gets used to not nursing at night. I can't decide if it would be better to change both things at once, or let her stay in the bed. We were planning on trying to move her into her own room in June, so I guess it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

April 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
well. there are two schools of thought about the nursing at night, the old skool thinking is that the milk can rot the teeth like sugary formula, the other school of thought is that it is antibacterial and that it will not affect the teeth, but it is more genetics. our dentist found a soft spot on one molar and just told us to take a qtip with ACT on it on the tooth. however, your LO is 20 months old and we night weaned around 22 months, they are probably old enough if you are ready for that. we started by not letting her nurse to sleep. we would nurse and read books, then stop nursing (with warning), read another book, then she would lay on her pillow and count to 10 to turn the lights off. we started this around 20-22 months and shortly after she was sleeping thru the night finally.

April 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I am letting her nurse and then brushing her teeth and having DH put her to bed. During the night the past 2 nights we have tried using other means of getting her back to sleep in the night like rubbing her back of giving her a drink of water. It's not going horribly but we are definitely getting less sleep right now.

April 26th, 2012, 04:31 AM
glad it is going ok, and not horribly terrible KUP!

May 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
This has been going surprisingly well! She must have been ready. She's only really waking up about once a night now and we can usually get her back to sleep without too much trouble.

May 3rd, 2012, 04:47 AM
great news!!!

May 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I think Ripley has a little cavity site starting. Dangit! Anyway, the only time she nurses is afternoons and evenings since I work full time. I want her to wean when ready, but I don't want her little teeth to go bad either!

[url=http://lilypie.com]
May 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
The dentist told us if we didn't want to night wean that we needed to make sure she drank some water after nursing each time to rinse her teeth off. She hasn't been feeling well for a couple days so I have let her nurse a couple times at night and then given her a drink of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

June 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had seen this earlier. I night-weaned my DD at 20 months and it also went surprisingly well. I wanted to also add that we nurse for 10 minutes at night before bed, and then wipe her teeth with Sorbitol wipes. She loves this, and it's easier than brushing her teeth because it doesn't wake her up.

June 6th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I will have to look into the Sorbitol wipes. We still nurse for a few minutes before bed and then brush our teeth, but sometimes getting her to brush is a struggle. Thanks for the tip!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search