When did you decide?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fluga

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I thought I'd try to get a bit of conversation started in here. So for a topic, when did you decide that you would nurse past a year? Was there a time where you were horrified at someone nursing a child as old as you're currently nursing? What did you think of nursing way before you actually read anything about it?

I decided that I'd nurse past a year when I started reading more about it. There just didnt seem to be a reason why to stop after that one golden year had been fulfilled. I do remember early on in my reading that I came across a forum where women were talking about nursing 3 and 4 year olds. I was quite horrified that they were still nursing them. It was just the shock though, I hadnt realized that nursing beyond a year meant nursing for that many years. As that shock wore off I started to think that again there was no reason to wean just because the child turned 3 or 4 or however old.

Before I had even thought of having babies I knew that babies got nursed. I didnt know that sometimes women chose not to nurse at all. I figured babies got nursed until something got in the way of it, whether it was the milk stopping (like I said I didnt know a thing so as far as I thought it could just dry up just like that) or needing to go back to work.

Sometimes it blows my mind that my older daughter has probably been nursed longer than both her parents, all her grandparents and probably various other relatives combined.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
June 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i never really thought about it before having DD, but once i was pregnant and was reading a lot of books and Ap books, i was really into the benefits of extending nursing and child led weaning. However, in the end I weaned her right before 3yo.

June 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I decided to nurse past 1 year because Korbin and I both love it so much. I can't imagine stopping just because he turned one. I didn't BF my first 2 and my 3rd weaned early because of tongue tie so this go around has been wonderful and I know its still whats best for him.

June 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My neighbor is a LLL leader and does child-led weaning. When I was pregnant she came over to our house and nursed her 3 1/2 y/o right there in our living room. I was pretty horrified about that. I remember saying I wanted to nurse about 18 months. How naive was I! I thought it would be completely my choice, and that weaning would be easy if I did it gradually. I figured I'd start around 18 months and be completely done between 19 and 20 months. Ha! My DD is 22 months and wants to nurse all.day.long. We did night-wean (almost) at 20 months but she still wakes me up about 4:30 am every morning, I tell her to go back to sleep because the sun is not up, and then she wakes me back up at 5:30 for some milk.

At this point, I figure I'll get through one more cold and flu season, at which point she'll be 2 years and ~ 8 months, and if she hasn't shown any signs of self-weaning or at least reducing her nursing sessions, I probably will have to try to wean. Of course, I may say that now and then just let her keep going. It's easier for me to think about "only" doing this for 10 more months than thinking I'll have to do this as long as she wants, even if it's until she's 7.

June 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think I ever decided. I just always knew I would nurse her and only stop if it was mutually agreeable or rediculous.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
June 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant, I thought I'd breastfeed to a year at most. In the beginning I said 6 months because we went through hell and I didnt know how much I could tolerate. Then things got REALLY easy. I still planned on stopping at a year. Then when he was about 10-11 months old and still not taking sippy cups, and being we were still so comfy, I decided we are not stopping anytime soon. He is a year old today and now I'm thinking maybe til 18 months hehe

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 23rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
When I was pregnant, I thought I'd breastfeed to a year at most. In the beginning I said 6 months because we went through hell and I didnt know how much I could tolerate. Then things got REALLY easy. I still planned on stopping at a year. Then when he was about 10-11 months old and still not taking sippy cups, and being we were still so comfy, I decided we are not stopping anytime soon. He is a year old today and now I'm thinking maybe til 18 months hehe
Instead of thinking of when I might wean I think about how it might be to nurse an older kid. When she was 1 I thought nursing a 3 year old was a lot so I thought of that to get used to the idea. When her third birthday crept by I thought of how it would be to nurse a 5 year old. If she's still nursing by her 5th birthday I'll probably start to visualize nursing a 7 year old.

One of the fun parts of nursing an older kid is having discussions about it. When she was smaller I used to joke that I'll nurse her until she is able to tell me which breast tastes better and describe the taste. She doesnt seem to have a preference, sometimes she'll want one or the other but is easily swayed. She likes to try to empty the breast but rarely gets there. She usually nurses for 10 minutes because that is about as long as I can take it (I time her).

A benefit of nursing her is that after my milk came in for the second time she has not had as much as a runny nose. My second is 13 months so that is over a year of good health. She goes to daycare 10 days a month but doesnt ever seem to catch anything from there. She doesnt even remember what being ill is like.
angelsailor288 likes this.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
June 28th, 2012, 01:12 PM
tobi4's Avatar Tobi
I had only planned on nursing for a year, then as the year began to creep up (he is 10 months now) I started saying Id probably just keep the morning and night time nursings. Now we discovered he has a milk allergy, so rather than using soy milk or any of the other substitutes, Im going to try for two years. Im already hearing negative comments. People are so judgemental!

[/url

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search