When did you *know* you'd be nursing a toddler?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By beck12
  • 1 Post By Jule'sMomInOR
  • 2 Post By Fluga

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you think you'd always nurse past a year? Did you always think you'd nurse even?

I never imagined I'd do either before I thought about having kids seriously.

I had NO idea if I could or would make it & I certainly NEVER gave a single though to nursing past a year until I made it to 6 months I think. I cna promise you too - I would have never likely nursed if I never found JM & I know I wouldn't have nursed past 1 yr for sure. I learned so much here back then. I am truly thankful I was here then & believe it or not - the debates are what taught me the most. They debate breastfeeding all.the.time then. LOL
Fluga likes this.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I remember saying when I was pregnant that I wanted to nurse for 18 months. Here I am at 28 months with no end in site.
beck12 likes this.

December 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Once I started reading up about breastfeeding I knew that I would like to continue nursing beyond 1. The first time I read about someone nursing a 3 and 4 year olds I thought they were insane. So here am I nursing a toddler and a preschooler, didnt really see that one coming back then. I thought my oldest would probably nurse until age 3 max because everything beyond that felt really big. On the other hand other than my brief exposure to those women on a Norwegian message board I hadnt heard so much of nursing 3+ year olds.
beck12 and jennifer13 like this.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 2nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I knew I would nurse when my first was born, but I thought I would wean her closer to a year old because that's what we were "suppose" to do. As she got close to a year, maybe at 9 months, I realized neither one of us was ready and we would be nursing past that point. Obviously with #2 and 3, there wasn't a question if they would nurse past a year, since I had already done it before. Sheesh, Abby was still nursing when Anna turned a year old!

February 3rd, 2013, 04:27 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess once I learned that the WHO, APA, etc. recommend breastfeeding until at least 2 years, I knew I wanted to give it a try. This was well before we were even TTC. The only other person I knew IRL who breastfed that long was my sister. It is quite uncommon around here to even breast feed for a year. Anyway, I didn't know how it would work exactly with me working full time and having to pump and all that, so I was determined to make it at least one year, and then to see how it went after that. The hardest part was 7 months to a year (thanks to pumping/working), but beyond that, it was a breeze, and we kept going until 29 months.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 5th, 2013, 09:43 PM
jennifer13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pop in here once in awhile .

I knew once we nursed for 9 months that I wanted to nurse for a yr. Once i made it to the yr my goal was 18 months. Then 2 yr Now we are almost to 4 years old and still nursing.

February 14th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran
I knew I would nurse when my first child was born. It was strictly implemented in the hospital so I had no choice. The first was a real pain but I knew I had to do it for my baby. So started doing it up until she was the one who weaned herself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search