Introduction and a question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding Past One Year LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I'm Beverly and have perused the boards from time to time. I am currently bf'ing my 14 month old son. I breastfed my daughter until she was 16 months old and I got pregnant with my son. My son does not drink well from the cup. As far as bf'ing I am sort of not offering/not refusing. He can drink from the cup but doesn't like it. He also has a milk protein allergy. He cannot have any milk products. I give him rice milk in his cup which of course he takes a few sips and throws it down. Today at the sitter's he only took a couple of sips of water. Because of the milk protein allergy, I am also on a dairy-free diet and have been since he was 10 days old. It really sucks. When I have tried to reintroduce dairy into my diet he breaks out in hives....still. So, I am wanting to wean...but I feel bad doing that because he's not drinking well from the cup. What would you do?

Second question....I guess is more for those with allergies, but it is about calcium. If you can't have dairy products how do I ensure he's getting enough calcium??? I've asked his pedi and they're not concerned...but I am...especially since he doesn't take the enriched rice milk. Should I continue to breastfeed for the calcium factor???
February 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
miamor
have you tried almond milk? its rich in calcium also.
what kind of cups are you trying? tilt up sippies? straws? does he not like to drink anything from a cup or just milks?
March 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
There are a lot of food sources for calcium. I've been too lazy to look into it but should be easy enough to google. The message of milk for calcium is so strong that most of us dont stop to think that there are other sources.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Coconut milk is higher in calcium than cows milk. And delicious!! We use a lot of vanilla coconut milk. Also, my new fave is chocolate coconut milk. Holy moly is that stuff delish!! I don't really give the choco to DD, just sharing my live for coconut. I even made some lattes with if recently, and they were awesome. So Your boy may like other things you just don't know bout yet. My kids don't really like soy or rice milks and I haven't given them almond. Experiment a bit. There are also foods and supplements to get calcium. Eating as healthy ifs diet as a little one can is a good start.

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search